2024-04-30, 02:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SATA Raid Controller Issues  (Read 2783 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« on: 2006-09-17, 08:06 »

I just got a raid controller card, a Seagate 350 GB SATA-2, and a WD Raptor X HDD's, and I am running into issues.

First I had to assign my array, then I got an error saying that my hardware is malfunctioning, then I found out that I had to partition my drive, so I use my XP disk, and Setup cannot detect my drives. My question is, do I need to install the Windows driver for my controller card before I am able to parition the drives in Setup?

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-17, 15:04 »

Yes.  What happens is on the Windows setup screen it will say "Press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver".  You will need to have the driver already ready to go.  Some boards ship with the driver already set up on a floppy disk.  Others you have to make your own disk but the driver is on the motherboard drivers CD.  Usually this requires a working computer that can read the CD and make a floppy disk (I know, ironic considering what you're trying to do in the first place).  If you are using a plug-in RAID controller card, the card should have come with some kind of disk and instructions on how to get the driver out and about so Windows can access it on install.  This little fun behavior with RAID drivers is one reason I cringe when people say they didn't buy a floppy drive when they're building their nice new computer.  It's worth the $8 for crying out loud.  I do hope you have one.

When you get your driver disk set up and ready to use, boot from the Windows setup CD, and press F6 when prompted.  Windows will continue loading a bunch of stuff so it can know what to do with itself, then it will ask for the disk when its good and ready.  Plug in the disk, and go from there.  It should read the hard drive once it knows how to talk to the RAID controller.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-17, 15:06 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: