2024-03-29, 16:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What the hell is this? (Warning Extremely Offensive)  (Read 10236 times)
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« on: 2006-09-18, 20:26 »

Just a warning, this is extremely offensive, if you have a finely tuned dumbass detector, it will be spinning at defcon 5.

My father sent me this site with a message stating that this is why the end times are inevidable.

This is the reason why we have dumbasses in the world.

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #1 on: 2006-09-18, 20:28 »

oh damn its so offensive that it filtered out a certain word in the address, which is self explainitory.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2006-09-18, 21:17 »

Offensive?  Yes, I would say it is offensive, but I look at something like this and shake my head, and do what's best - put it out of mind and shun it.  That's the best thing to do with people who try to gain attention through shock tactics.  Don't give them what they want.  This site reflects the kind of immaturity I've come to expect from such people who look down their noses at others that they consider to be beneath them.  A wise old man I used to know had a very accurate phrase to describe such people - educated idiots.  It is wiser to leave fools to their folly, and move on to more important concerns, than to worry over them or what they think or say.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2006-09-19, 14:41 »

It's dead, Jibbo.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2006-09-19, 18:53 »

That's because the link was edited by the offensive word filter since part of the link includes that specific expletive that the filter replaces with the word "spork".  I don't consider it a site worth visiting since it's just someone's anti-Christian blog.  I imagine those are quite rare on the internet, especially among those attending prestigious, high-brow universities.[/sarcasm]

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #5 on: 2006-09-19, 19:51 »

What kills me is that it is a ".edu" site.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2006-09-19, 20:18 »

That's simply because it's hosted on mit.edu.  It's no different as if, say, you had a personal website hosted on your internet service provider, like johndoe.blahblah.com, where "blahblah" is whatever ISP johndoe has.  That site doesn't represent MIT's organizational policies or views anymore than johndoe represents those of blahblah.com.  It represents the views of one pathetic individual, and nothing more.

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #7 on: 2006-09-20, 08:52 »

You know what the sad thing is?

I actually laughed at this attempt of anti-christiany. What's even more amusing (In my eyes at least) is that there's even a couple expilict images in there (The front page clearly has one, for example) and that it isn't updated very often. I can understand why this would be offensive to some, though.
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #8 on: 2006-09-20, 22:23 »

I don't think it's anti-Christianity per se, just anti-religious as a whole.

I must admit I did laugh at the bit about Noam Chomsky, though.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2006-09-21, 16:34 »

Quote from: scalliano
I don't think it's anti-Christianity per se, just anti-religious as a whole.

I must admit I did laugh at the bit about Noam Chomsky, though.
i find that the kind of people who usually do these kind of things are more than willing to tolerate new age pop cult style religions and any religous group they deem "opressed". When i see the same people picking fun at wicca or Islam ill belive its about religion as a whole, untill them im going to assume its anti-christian.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2006-09-21, 18:22 »

Hey Scal, who's skull is involved here?  Who's being compared to Osama Bin Laden on the front page?  Don't whitewash this and say it's not anti-Christian.  Attacking or mocking Christ is by definition anti-Christian.  Beyond that, when people say anti-religious, 99% of the time in the Western world that is synonymous with being anti-Christian when it's observed in practice.  People who live in Western societies pick on Christianity because it's the "easy" religion to pick on - widespread, present historically within the culture, is the obvious embedded target for secular "progressives" as a result, and has a "turn the other cheek" policy.  Swap the name "jesus" with "Mohammad" on the website, and replace the imagery as well, and I'll tell you what would happen.  First, it would hit the news.  Second, the website author and the school faculty would receive complaints and death threats.  Third, the site would get ripped down, and apoligies issued from here to Mecca, and disclaimers that it was "not the school's intent nor policy to offend anyone's beliefs or sensibilities and that action would be taken to ensure such events would not take place in the future."  Fourth, MIT would get firebombed over it, at the same time protests and violent riots occured world wide.  Don't believe me?  Remember those cartoons about Mohammad, and the Pope's recent quoting of a 14th century emperor?  I'd say there's more than enough precedent to predict the outcome.

Now why does this not happen with an anti-Christian site?  First, Christians don't blow you up or cut your head off for offending their prophet, so that removes the "fear" factor.  We have this little commandment in the bible that says "thou shalt not kill", and Christians as a whole take it very seriously.  Second, anti-Christian rhetoric is always classified as "protected speech" in Left-leaning courts.  People who like to blast Christianity hide behind the 1st Amendment all the time when someone calls them out for it, and the courts back them all the time.  It's easy for a coward to criticize someone he knows won't kill him for it, while hiding behind all sorts of societal and legal protections.  Any idiot can shoot their mouth off when they know it's a sure thing and that nobody can come after them for it.  So, if you want to attack a religion, attack Christianity because the liberal, secularist policy makers will give you their support.

Now try applying the "protected speech" tag to, say, anti-gay, anti-minority, or anti-muslim speech and you'll be villified as a hatemonger, despite the fact that there's no difference in action, only difference in target.  I use this as an opportunity to illustrate the blatant hypocrisy that exists within society.  Those who preach tolerence are usually the last to practice it.

And I still say this topic has gotten far more attention than it has ever deserved.  It's one loser's bash site.  Why are we still discussing it here?  I mean, besides the fact that I never shut up.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-24, 15:24 by Phoenix » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #11 on: 2006-09-21, 21:34 »

Because everyone feels the need to voice their opinion (this includes me, as observed here).

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #12 on: 2006-09-21, 22:08 »

Hey, Pho, cool yer jets. I'm not whitewashing it. I'll be honest - I like my satire the same colour as my boots. However there is content in there that even made ME think "this guy is a prat who's just out to provoke". Besides, I'm well aware of the maniacal reaction to the Mohammed cartoons. Iconoclasm takes many forms, this is but one, and considering the nature of it I couldn't not make an observation. All I was saying was that (to me at least) it is not exclusively anti-Christian.

I, for one, pick on all religions, regardless of other issues Slipgate - Tongue

Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #13 on: 2006-09-24, 08:02 »

Well said Pho I have been trying to figure a way to say that as effectivly as possiable, you take the cake on that one.  Thumbs up!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2006-09-24, 16:47 »

Quote from: scalliano
All I was saying was that (to me at least) it is not exclusively anti-Christian.
Not exclusively, but that does seem to be the main target.

I, for one, pick on all religions, regardless of other issues Slipgate - Tongue
I understand what you mean by that Scal, but you have to realize that's like telling a black man "it's all right, I dislike Jews and Asians too" and expecting him to feel better for it. Slipgate - Wink

I think something that's gravely misunderstood, perhaps by you and definitely by most of the secular, post-modern world is the role religion plays in the lives of religious people.  Speaking as a Christian, but moreso, as a servent of God, I take my faith very, very seriously.  To me, nothing in my life is more important.  It defines my entire existence.  It's not a bunch of silly, mystical nonsense, nor is it a trend or fad.  To me, it makes perfect sense, and let no man mistake this - I am a reasoned creature, and I make no decisions lightly.  This may seem contradictory to the impression of religion that people see when they're shown only the fringe elements, or behaviors that don't make sense, or are unexplained, or contradict the usual post-modern thinking.  I expect that people who disagree with something or don't understand it will probably ridicule it.  That's a predictable human behavior, one that is rooted in fear, or at best laziness, when people won't take the time to stop and try to understand.  I don't care if people think it's silly that some Baptists dance around with poisonous snakes, or what have you.  I think it's silly too.  The people who do it do not think so.  Even if you don't understand why, or agree with how people feel about their faith, do understand that a great many of them take it very, very seriously.  Many Christians are strong enough in their faith to die for their beliefs, and many Christian scholars are as reasoned if not more so as any follower of Voltaire or Jean-Jacques Rousseau.  Something to keep in mind.

That being said, if people do silly things, it's ok to have a giggle at what they do.  If people do something that is deplorable, then definitely call them for it.  What I find insulting is that people can so easily take something that is sacred to one person and defile it, reducing it to an object of ridicule and mockery, not ever stopping to consider that it may mean a great deal to that person.  Everything that is preached about tolerence and acceptence flies out the window when I see this happen.  That is why I've never been able to reconcile myself to liberal thinking.  I do believe in tolerence, even if I disagree with the object of that tolerence.  I hate mankind, and what the human race has done to this earth.  I am grieved day and night, unceasingly at the actions of man, both against this natural world and against other men.  That anger and fury boils my blood enough to make me want to kill every man, woman, and child without discrimination of any virtues they might have simply because I wish to eliminate the evil that man does.  A twisted form of reasoning makes it very simple - remove mankind and the problem goes away.  But you see, that is folly, first because I am commanded to not kill humans, and second by true reason I also know that man plays a part in God's plan and that I am no better than man in the sight of God because of my own shortcomings;  I am not to be mankind's judge.  Third, I also know that man's sins are only a symptom of the disease of evil, the source of that infection being Satan, so in wanting to remove mankind I would only be killing the patient and not curing the disease.  That's how good intentions can be used to do so much damage, for my intentions are good - eliminating evil - but the devil can use that to tempt me to sin.  So I understand tolerence and practice it.  I swallow my pride (which I have in overabundance as anyone here should know by now) and do my best to get along with those I dislike most.  I restrain my anger, with God's own help, and do my best to do what I find is hardest for me.  Why?  Because I know, despite how I feel, it is the right thing to do.  I challenge those who preach tolerence to do the same - to get along with those they find objectionable, and deplorable, and backwards, and dumb, and ignorant.  I don't mean to say people should accept evil action, but when they can find it in their hearts to accept people they find most disagreeable, perhaps then they will show their compassion to be real and not a showpiece for politics.  Maybe then I will be able to take those who profess what are touted as liberal ideals as genuine, and not liars who prey upon the desperate and anti-religious bigots who seek to eliminate God from society completely.

So this brings up that nasty thorny subject of Islam, where someone might say I am being hypocritical.  If I am tolerant, why do I often rail against Islam?  If I make judgements about Islam, it is because I have grounds to disagree with what is taught in Islam, the same as I disagree with what is taught in secular circles.  Do I mock the Muslim because he believes Mohammad was a prophet of God?  No.  I understand he takes his beliefs every bit as seriously as I take mine.  To the contrary, I wish Christians had as much faith in Christ as many Muslims have in their own beliefs.  It is his actions I will take issue with, when and if he decides to follow the doctrine of the Jihadists, and turn his reason for faith into justification for murder.  It is his actions I oppose, not his faith.  But, this is why Christians have a much better chance of understanding Muslims, and why the Western leadership, especially that of many countries in Europe, does not.  We understand that Muslims mean what they say, a lot of politicians think it's just posturing.  If an Islamic cleric says "death to America, death to Israel, death to the West", I know that it is his intention that these threats be carried out.  If Osama Bin Laden says "I will attack America again", I take him at his word.  I have no problem tolerating Muslims so long as they are tolerent to non-Muslims.  The same goes for any non-Christians.  You KNOW what my God says about turning the other cheek.  I would that others could do the same in kind.

So, after a long-winded dissertation as I am known for providing, and I must say this has turned from a rant over a useless website to a useful discussion of why people think what they do, I must come bring this full circle, and ask a question.  Scal, what exactly is it about religions in general that makes you of a mind that you feel you should pick on them?  I ask this in all seriousness.  I want to understand your thinking.[/color]

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #15 on: 2006-09-25, 00:37 »

Well, let me first say that I would never condemn anyone for their beliefs. I have been on the receiving end of that and know what it feels like. My issue lies with those organizations, be they Al-Qaeda or the Catholic Church or whatever else, who have a nasty habit of capitalising from the faith(s) that they are meant to represent (I was born Roman Catholic before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick). I believe that I am in no position to dispute the existence of God, however, my point from the beginning (not just of this topic, but from when I first began to ask questions at all) has been that we as humans cannot ever hope to comprehend what lies beyond this life. Each and every one of us has our own way of dealing with that (even me), but those who do have the answers all have one thing in common; they are no longer with us.

Religious fanaticism is not restricted to Islam, either. I could get into the whole history of witch-burnings, Inquisition and the like, but even such phrases as "God Bless America" could be considered, well, obnoxious, frankly (I'm not US-bashing here, it's just an example). I remember once, during the Troubles, seeing a sectarian mural that said, "Kill them all and let God sort them out." This angered me greatly. The people who did this were supposed to be Christian, a religion which advocates non-violent solutions to problems. It is things such as this which almost make me ashamed to be human.

I would not argue with the idea that I am an agnostic. AFAIC you are either a good person or you're not. Consider all of those Muslims (the vast majority I would expect) who DON'T believe in killing all infidels and would rather just get on with it like the rest of us, THEN pass judgement. It is the few with the power to influence people (and I'm not just talking Islam here, either) who ultimately have the blood on their hands.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2006-09-25, 01:07 »

I find no fault with anything you say there, save that I would add that those who follow the orders of those with the influence - the "triggermen", if you will - have no less blood on their hands than those who gave them the command to kill in the first place.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2006-09-25, 01:11 »

Quote from: Phoenix
I find no fault with anything you say there, save that I would add that those who follow the orders of those with the influence - the "triggermen", if you will - have no less blood on their hands than those who gave them the command to kill in the first place.
Well, that's a given. Slipgate - Smile

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #18 on: 2006-09-25, 01:23 »

There was a study about actions like that done decades ago. I forget who did the study, but I saw it on TV a few weeks ago. The guy was trying to find out how Nazi soldiers were able to kill people without feeling guilty about doing so.

The took a guy into a room and strapped him to an electrical shock thing.. then took the other guy into a different room in front of a large switchbox. The guy in front of the switchbox had to ask questions to the other man, and for every question he got wrong.. the switchbox guy had to shock him, at increasing levels of voltage.

Now the guy really wasn't strapped in, but would cry out every time he supposedly got zapped so the man asking the questions would hear it. After a while, the guy answering the questions would complain about his bad heart and such. The guy asking the questions would start feeling sorry for him and look back at the guy doing the study.. saying he couldn't go on. The guy doing the study would tell him the questionaire had to be completed. The question giver would say that he didn't want to be responsible if the man died or got injured in some way... so the study guy would confirm that.. all the responsibility would lay on him. So, more often than not, the guy would complete the test knowing that he was freed from all responsibility (I'm not saying he'd stop feeling remorseful, but just knowing the responsibility wasn't his, was enough for him to go all the way).. if he reached the last switch (the highest voltage on the machine), he would keep using that one if a question was wrong.. or if no answer was given after a certain amount of time, even if it was dead silence.

The show covered other studies done, but this is the one that is fitting. Might not be 100% fitting aftre re-reading some posts.. but.. *shrug*. I didn't type this out for nothing.. well, maybe I did.. but meh.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2006-09-25, 08:24 »

Just google "milgram experiment" to find out the specifics on that one. And while you're at it, google "stanford prison experiment" aswell.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: