2024-04-18, 14:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commander Keen  (Read 9937 times)
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« on: 2007-08-25, 21:45 »

Why no hidden Commander Keen skin/model for use in Generations? It seems like an obvious Easter Egg. Ranger would probably provide a good base for a skin (buff, Arena hardened Keen?), though it would make more sense for Keen to be in the Earth class since he is BJ's grandson. Yorp
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #1 on: 2007-08-25, 22:15 »

I could picture Commander Keen with the Strogg Troopers.  He starts with a blaster and has access to many sci-fi space type weapons.  But over all, I cannot picture a model presently in Quake 3 that would look good sporting the Commander Keen look.  A new model would have to be made methinks.

-JL
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #2 on: 2007-08-25, 22:28 »

Wait, that's a great idea! But Earth class... maybe Strogg, although Earth is a good suggestion

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2007-08-26, 00:37 »

Five classes is already enough for Generations.  I'm not really too "keen" on coding any more.  Slipgate - Exhausted

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2007-08-26, 02:46 »

I agree with Pho, and I've got a couple of extra reasons why I strongly oppose to it. Frankly, I'm pretty much done with big modelling/skinning projects for Gen. Aside from the obvious problem of our getting foxed for using Billy, making a whole new model is a lot of work, for which I simply don't have the time (nor the willingness to spend it on some half-assed, rarely seen easter egg). Keen is great fun and I loved the games, but I don't see what it's got to do with the Generations FPS universe.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #5 on: 2007-08-26, 02:52 »

I didn't mean for it to be a separate class, or even a hidden Easter Egg per say, just a selectable model in one of the preexisting classes. The Dope Fish exists within Quake3, so I thought Billy would make a nice addition for those that recognize him. I can see your reasoning though. I do wish that there were more characters to choose from in general, however. A female Slipgater perhaps. Maybe a Geisha skin for Mynx, seeing as Japan was also heavily involved in World War II. Obviously far below pretty much everything else in priorities however, especially after seeing those nice weapon animations in the teaser video!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2007-08-26, 03:01 »

A female slipgater has been on the possibly-to-do-list for quite a while now, we might actually get to that - no serious copyright issues there either. Remember that it's still very much possible to download polycount player models and use them with Generations!

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #7 on: 2007-08-26, 03:33 »

I thought only custom skins were supported, not models. Doom - Huh?

Besides, last time I checked, Polycount was dead as far as model downloads go.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2007-08-26, 04:41 »

Let's not forget that we have to do the player stance stuff for thirdperson weapon behaviors yet, such as getting our Earthers to hold two gats at once, among other things.  So yes, thirdparty models are not currently supported and won't be until the code for this is done and I can write up an SDK for models to work.

Unfortunately Polycount has not done squat in over two years as far as getting their model database back on line.  Why the hell they took it offline to begin with I don't know but it's something I've been extremely unhappy about as a lot of models that were hosted there have no other download sites.

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #9 on: 2007-08-26, 05:01 »

Unfortunately Polycount has not done squat in over two years as far as getting their model database back on line.  Why the hell they took it offline to begin with I don't know but it's something I've been extremely unhappy about as a lot of models that were hosted there have no other download sites.

http://ioquake3.org/?page=models

Since I use ioquake3 nowadays to play on non-Punkbuster-enabled servers, this link was rather easy to find as I check the site periodically.

There appears to be no skins though, which is a shame. I really liked the Dragon skin for Klesk.
« Last Edit: 2007-08-26, 05:03 by Visimar » Logged
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #10 on: 2007-08-26, 06:00 »

Interesting link Visimar! I'll have to take a look through those, maybe some save. The only custom models I still have these days are the Spider Mastermind, Imp and Quake IV Gladiator. I thought I had the Quake 2/IV Iron Maiden as well, but apparently not...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #11 on: 2007-08-26, 09:22 »

Ah well, it was worth to try.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2007-08-26, 12:41 »

So, why don't you have the Strogg Guard, or the Q-Forcer? :]

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #13 on: 2007-08-26, 15:58 »

I think I've read somewhere that everything on polycount is on... (ugh, i just hate to say it) file planet... though naturally they don't have anything helpful like screenshots or reviews to let you make a decision as to whether or not you really want some oddly named model that you have no idea what it will be untill it's installed.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #14 on: 2007-08-26, 17:18 »

So, why don't you have the Strogg Guard, or the Q-Forcer? :]

I do have them! I guess I wasn't thinking of them since they came with Generations. Excellent additions to any collection though, particularly the Strogg Guard! Slipgate - Smile
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #15 on: 2007-08-26, 18:25 »

I already have both. You did an awesome job BTW, both models are suberb.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2007-08-26, 19:10 »

Ahh, thanks for the link.  The downside is these are only Quake 3 models.  There were some for Quake 2 that I never got around to downloading.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2007-08-26, 19:11 »

I've never been one for ditching my archive files, so I still have a load of stuff from Q3Center and the old RTD site, as well as Polycount (got some great Q2 stuff off there too back in the day). I miss those sites, big style.

But, hey, if you're desperate for a Keen fix:

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: