2024-03-29, 15:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo2 on XP  (Read 7751 times)
Arnie

Shambler

« on: 2007-08-29, 13:40 »

Hey All,

If you are interested in playing Halo2 on windows XP, I`ve found a loader that acually works (well works for me anyway).

http://halo2xp.tk/

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #1 on: 2007-08-29, 16:14 »

Thanks for the tip, Arnie.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2007-08-29, 17:43 »

Yeah, my mate took the chance with that and it worked fine. No DX10 support, y'see Slipgate - Wink After about half an hour of playing it I began to think: Microsoft call THIS a hard sell?? I can't believe I waited 3 bloody years on this ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #3 on: 2007-08-29, 21:01 »

How exactly is that Illegal? It's like... using something so you can fry eggs with a toaster... not smart but legal...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2007-08-29, 22:51 »

I think the "Yes, it's highly illegal, if you try this your hard drive will get locked out unless you install vista on it" with the roll-eyes smiley was sarcasm.  I haven't read Halo 2's EULA seeing that I don't have the game, so I have no idea if it's legal or not, but I doubt anyone's going out to buy Vista just to play Halo 2 on it anyway, and now that it works on XP...  In fact, why the hell would anyone go out and buy Vista to begin with?  Doom - Huh?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #5 on: 2007-08-29, 23:10 »

I sincerely doubt that in the great scheme of things that it is illegal. After all, it's not actually a crack, just a trainer of sorts.

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #6 on: 2007-08-30, 11:08 »

Yeah, my mate took the chance with that and it worked fine. No DX10 support, y'see

Has anyone got a DX10 GFX card???.....

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #7 on: 2007-08-30, 11:31 »

Here is the EULA, if anyone can translate to english please let us know.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2007-08-30, 16:30 »

6.      SCOPE OF LICENSE.  The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software.  Microsoft reserves all other rights.  Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement.  In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways.  You may not

?         work around any technical limitations in the software;

This would be the only part of the EULA that might conflict with running it on XP, however, the question is whether or not there is a technical limitation - by legal definition - in Halo2 running on XP if you use this installer thingie.  I'm not a legal expert so I can't say whether this installation process could be viewed this way or not.  That being said, there's nothing in the EULA that states you must install it on a specific operating system or that specific software must be installed prior to use.  There's a lot of grey area here and I think it could be argued either way.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #9 on: 2007-08-31, 14:24 »

I haven't passed the bar either, but I reckon you could dispute that in court. The Vista requirement is not actually a technical limitation, so much as a deliberately coded feature that prevents the software from launching on XP. The fact that the launcher works proves thah Halo 2 is compatible with XP without any modifications to the actual software itself. Unless it's a warez copy, I can't see the issue.

Microsoft would still win, though, 'cos they can afford the lawyers ...

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #10 on: 2007-08-31, 15:01 »

how very true, if mircosoft don't like it you can bet there asses that they'll stop it
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2007-08-31, 15:50 »

Yeah, the same way they've stopped people from pirating Windows.  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #12 on: 2007-08-31, 16:26 »

The fact that it wii not Install on XP is down to function calls to files that are not on XP.
To make it install on XP the "fix" apparently "hooks" these calls somehow.

There was the same problem with Doom3 only installing on XP.

I know you can get Games that install on both XP and Vista, Bioshock does, I think.

I cannot believe that a games software company would limit the sales of their Game by making it only install on Vista.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2007-08-31, 16:55 »

I cannot believe that a games software company would limit the sales of their Game by making it only install on Vista.

Microsoft is the publisher for the Halo series.  They don't care about how well Halo 2 sells.  They just want everyone using Vista.

Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #14 on: 2007-08-31, 18:32 »

It'll probably be some time before a majority of games require directX 10, so far the only games that NEED to be vista only seem to be *gasp* made by microsuck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: