2024-03-29, 13:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam (You knew this question would come).  (Read 14012 times)
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #20 on: 2007-11-13, 01:55 »

Yeah... steam seems like it could be nice for chattin with other players/making clans/finding online games like ASE but seems to be little more than a program for buying/installing games, don't get me wrong it's better than buying one from some obscure site and given a 253 character number you need to redownload your game.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #21 on: 2007-11-14, 10:19 »

No need to play Q3 through Steam, since it works fine without it. Besides, I don't want to play Q3 at half the framerate. Let's face it: Steam is a resource-whore, a buggy program and it likes to update itself on a daily basis! However, it's a great distritution platform.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2007-11-29, 16:45 »

Why would you want to buy Q3 again just to play it on Steam?.

Why can`t you just enter your serial number to register the game with Steam?.
Because the registration tends to fail. I have a number of titles offered on steam that I purchased retail, none of said codes could be successfully registered.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #23 on: 2007-11-29, 20:36 »

UPDATE 11/29/07

I purchased the "ID" pack on steam due to the fact that during the move I misplaced a lot of my software (hint: it was stolen).

The file structure is the same except it is under a steam subdirectory. From what I understand, it probably won't be necessary to change any part of Generations Arena. The end user will have to make sure that they install it under the steam version if they have it.

That is all.

Beer? I'm down.
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #24 on: 2007-11-30, 02:47 »

i havent had a proublem with steam since shortly after it launched. I think the attacks that steam is "buggy" are unfair these days though they were valid once. Steam is easily the best online game distribution method (legit anyway) i've used. Of course thats not saying much since most online game distribution methods donkey balls.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2007-11-30, 08:31 »

McDeth, what about using its own executable?  That's going to be my primary concern.  Right now .99f might work with Q3A because it's using Quake3.exe to run it.  1.0 will be using Generations.exe, which is based on the GPL Q3A source release.  That may complicate things a little.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #26 on: 2007-11-30, 20:17 »

That's interesting.

I took some screen shots of the file structure since I have no idea what you *need* exactly.

I know mods like "Garry's mod" were able to successfully implement their own executables into the Steam console without breaking a sweat albeit they were source based mods. I am going to assume the same should go for any Steam based application.

If worse comes to worse, I can lend you my steam login and you can download my copy of Q3 for testing purposes.
« Last Edit: 2007-11-30, 20:21 by McDeth » Logged

Beer? I'm down.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: