2024-04-20, 12:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weapon Drops  (Read 6910 times)
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« on: 2007-09-07, 18:58 »

I noticed Tab has a website which lists all the types of ammo throughout the classes, and their Quake 3 equivilant (what Quake 3 item is in place, and what Quake 2 sees insted of it).

However, I was curious about certain aspects of the Weapon Drop system, in relation to what each class sees when a weapon is stumbled upon or dropped.  Heres a list I compiled...correct me if I'm wrong.

-Side note:  Melee weapons and Pistols cannot be dropped, so they are not included-

Single-Shotguns, Machineguns, and Nailguns:

Slipgate Boomstick = Doom Shotgun = Strogg Shotgun
-Earth and Arena recieve a Machinegun

(Just to use the above as an example for an explanation......if Slipgate drops a Boomstick, Doom and Strogg see a Shotgun, whereas Earth and Arena see a Machinegun.  Comparitively, if Doom drops a Shotgun, Slipgate sees a Boomstick, Strogg sees a Shotgun, etc.)

Earth MP-40 = Slipgate Nailgun = Strogg Machinegun = Arena Machinegun
-Doom recieves a Chainsaw

Double-Shotguns:

Doom Combat Shotgun = Slipgate Double Shotgun = Strogg Super Shotgun = Arena Shotgun
-Earth recieves a Gatling Gun

Grenade Launchers:

Grenade Launchers apply to Slipgate, Strogg, and Arena, and interchange as such.  Earth and Doom recieve Mortars and Rocket Launchers respectively.  Earth and Strogg can use "grenade ammo" as a weapon in their own.

Rocket Launchers:

All Classes recieve Rocket Launchers;  For Earth, in the form of the Mortar (which always produces a Rocket Launcher for other classes).

Lightning Guns:

Slipgate Lightning Gun = Arena Lightning Gun
-Doom recieves Chaingun
-Earth recieves Gatling Gun
-Strogg recieves Chaingun

Railguns:

Earth Sniper Rifle = Strogg Railgun = Arena Railgun
-Doom recieves Chaingun
-Slipgate recieves Super Nailgun

Plasmaguns:

Earth Napalm Launcher = Doom Plasma Rifle = Strogg Hyperblaster = Arena Plasmagun
-Slipgate recieves Super Nailgun

BFGs:

Earth Dual Gatling Guns = Doom BFG 9000 = Strogg BFG10k = Arena Q3BFG
-Slipgate recieves Lightning Gun

I'm a little confused on certain instances that could happen in the game, based off of this list.

For example, lets say Sarge picks up a Napalm Launcher (plasmagun in Quake 3).  Ranger frags him and takes it, resulting in a Super Nailgun for him.  If Doom frags Ranger, will Ranger drop a Plasma Rifle or a Chaingun?

Or if Visor has the Lightning Gun, Doom frags him and takes a Chaingun, and then Sarge frags HIM, taking a Gatling Gun.  Doom respawns and frags Sarge back.  Does Sarge drop a Chaingun or a Combat Shotgun?

Sounds like some weapons could be "lost in translation" so to speak, if multiple class types are running around.  Doom's precious Combat shotgun could be stolen by Sarge (who turns it into a Gatling Gun), who procedes to be killed by Doom, where he picks up a Chaingun insted.  Am I getting this all correct, or has my brain been completely scrambled at this point?

EDIT:  I've figured it out I believe.

-Slipgate Super Nailgun (if dropped) will always = Arena Plasmagun (and its translations to other classes)
-Doom Chaingun (if dropped) will always = Arena Lightning gun (and its translations to other classes)

I think I understand this one:
-Earth Gatling Gun (if dropped) will always = Arena Shotgun (and its translations to other classes).

Is that correct?
« Last Edit: 2007-09-07, 19:26 by Rubilacxe » Logged

-JL
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #1 on: 2007-09-07, 21:47 »

EDIT:  I've figured it out I believe.

-Slipgate Super Nailgun (if dropped) will always = Arena Plasmagun (and its translations to other classes)
-Doom Chaingun (if dropped) will always = Arena Lightning gun (and its translations to other classes)

I think I understand this one:
-Earth Gatling Gun (if dropped) will always = Arena Shotgun (and its translations to other classes).

Is that correct?

That is correct, sir. Is a bit confusing at first, but it all eventually comes around after playing for a bit.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2007-09-08, 00:06 »

The weapons translation system can sometimes seem a little confusing like that, especially when there's, say, no plasma gun on a map and a Slipgater runs over a railgun (which gives him the Super-Nailgun), and the Slipgater gets killed.  The rule to remember is this:  This is the Arenas Eternal, so all weapons that other Generations receive are based on what the Arena Gladiators would get.  That's the starting point.  Also, if a Generation has more than one item pickup for which they may receive a weapon, only one of those will be considered the primary slot (the Arena Gladiators' weapon that it will translate to when the player is killed).

For example, consider the Earth Soldiers.  Earth's Gatling Gun's primary slot is the same as the Arena Shotgun.  When he's killed, that's what he'll drop.  Now Earth can pick up a gatling gun (or a second gatling gun) by running over a Lightning Gun spawn, or a BFG spawn (he gets two for those).  Now if he's using a single gat he will ALWAYS drop an Arena Shotgun.  If he's using the dual gats he will ALWAYS drop an Arena BFG.

The same thing works for the Doom chaingun.  Doom's primary slot for the chaingun is the Arena Lightning Gun.  He can also get a chaingun by running over a railgun spawn.  If he's killed with the chaingun in use, he'll drop a Lightning gun and not a railgun because the Lightning Gun is the primary slot for the weapon.

The reason for this is twofold.  First, there's a code requirement.  I can translate any item spawn into any other item for a Generation, however when that Generation is using a weapon it must have one explicit number that it's assigned to.  In the code for the above example, WP_SHOTGUN is what the code sees for Earth when he's firing a gatling gun, and thus that's what is dropped.  This is then translated to the other classes.  If he touches a lightning gun, which is WP_LIGHTNING to the code, he's given a WP_SHOTGUN.  Earth never actually carries anything in the lightning gun slot.

The second is for consistency and balance.  Some weapons "fit" certain categories better than others owing to their function and behavior.  Others are slotted into certain categories because of their availability.  For example, we chose to put Earth's gatling gun as a Shotgun-class weapon instead of a Lightning gun-class weapon (whereas all the other chainguns are lightning class) simply because Earth depends on his gatling gun a lot, and it's very common.  It would be a balance concern if, when Earth was killed using a single gatling gun, he always dropped a Thunderbolt/Strogg Chaingun.  The same applies to Slipgate getting a super nailgun for the Railgun pickup.  It may not translate well as a long range weapon, but putting in a Rocket Launcher causes horrible balance problems.

That's part of the reason I coded the "What you see is what you get" system.  Whatever your opponent drops when he dies is exactly what you'll pick up, so while it's good to learn what Ranger will drop when he's using that Super Nailgun, it's more important that you'll pick up exactly what you see when he does drop his gun.  Eventually I'll include an entire conversion chart in the manual when it gets an overhaul.  Until then, if you would like I do have a conversion chart I can post, but it's old so I'll need to proof-read it first.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #3 on: 2007-09-08, 09:58 »

What is starting rate of fire of Strogg chaingun?

Sorry for a little offtop. Slipgate - Smirk
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2007-09-08, 15:55 »

This all makes a lot more sense now, thank you!

I must ask, though.  Will it ever be possible in the future to have class specific slots?  In other words, you said that Doom's Chaingun is under the slot for Arena Lightning Gun...could he have his own set of slots that don't follow Quake 3's weapon slots? (Doom Chaingun being in the Doom Chaingun slot)
« Last Edit: 2007-09-08, 16:04 by Rubilacxe » Logged

-JL
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2007-09-08, 18:34 »

Short version is "no".  Click the Spoiler to read the long, more ranty-version.  Hmm... maybe we need Rant tags.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kingu:  Strogg chaingun starting fire rate is 10 bullets a second, same as the machinegun.  After about the fifth shot it doubles to 20 (assuming you're holding the trigger down) then when it hits full speed it fires 30 rounds per second.

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #6 on: 2007-09-08, 19:09 »

sorry, was just curious. no big deal.

-JL
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #7 on: 2007-09-09, 05:11 »

Pho: Amen on the Q2Gen bit: Doomguy + Slippy map + GL = CHAINSAW??? No thanks ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #8 on: 2007-09-10, 20:42 »

What are the ammo conversions like? I seem to recall noticing the Slipgaters rockets being a little low in count. I imagine, if I'm thinking back clearly enough, that such would be done for balancing purposes... Doom - Huh?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2007-09-10, 23:56 »

They're actually not low, there were two types of rocket boxes in Quake 1 - a smaller box with 5 rockets, and a larger box with 10 rockets.  I stuck with the smaller box for two reasons.

First, Slipgate shares ammo between the grenade launcher and rocket launcher.  With these weapons - especially the rocket launcher - being fairly common and Skippy having double pickups, he can get rockets from either weapon spawn or either ammo spawn.  Running rocket launcher, grenade launcher, and an ammo box of each quickly puts you at 20 rockets, plus Slipgaters tend to drop backpacks.  Doom is the only other class that shares both ammo and weapon spawns.  Earth shares weapon spawns but not ammo spawns for his mortar.  Strogg, Arena, and Earth all have only one ammo pickup for the Rocket Launcher, with Strogg and Arena only having one weapon pickup as well.  For our current test version Doom's grenade ammo pickup has been reduced to a single Doom rocket (the smaller pickup in Doom) as a balance tweak.

Second, no other class has a 10 rocket pickup except for Arena Gladiators when they run over their gun.  Their ammo boxes give you 5 rockets.  Earth, Doom, Strogg, and Arena all have a maximum of 5 rockets on pickup of a rocket box.  Giving Slipgate the larger rocket pickup would make him way too powerful as he'd almost never run out of explosives.  We found this out when we tried using the railgun as an alternate rocket launcher spawn, I think back in .99b or so.

Now in contrast, in Quake 1 there were two types of cellpack for the Thunderbolt - smaller packs of 6 cells, and larger packs of 12.  We opted to go with only the cellpack of 12 seeing that the lightning gun is rare and Slipgate can only get it for the lightning gun pickup and the BFG (which is even rarer).  All the other classes have a boatload of ammo for this gun.  Arena gets something like 60 cells per box and 100 on pickup of the weapon.  Earth gets a gatling gun and can get bullets for just about anything, Doom's chaingun has ammo shared with the railgun and machinegun bullet boxes (small pistol clips in his case) and isn't his strongest weapon choice anyway plus he spawns with 50 that almost never get used until a chaingun is picked up, Strogg's bullets are also shared with the machinegun and come in packs of 50 (which he also spawns with).  Slippy's shaft is very powerful but has a short range and is tricky to use, and not giving him any cells for it just wasn't fair so we opted to stick with only the larger ammo box there.

So it was certainly a balance concern, and where there were two types of ammo available for a class it was kind of hard to figure out where we wanted to stick with smaller or larger boxes.  If a gun could only get ammo from one source - say the shotgun - we typically went with a larger box so long as it wasn't an insane amount.  Some weapons were more complex to factor in.  Slipgater's nailguns have two weapons and three ammo spawns, but it's not a terribly effective weapon and very ammo hungry, so two of the ammo spawns are for larger boxes, and one for smaller boxes.  Strogg was the easiest to convert since each gun only took one kind of ammo box in Q2 and the pickups were well balanced to start with.  We're still doing some minor tweaking on things but overall the ammo pickup behavior is pretty much set up about where we'd like it and seems to balance out pretty well we think.
  Slipgate - Thumbs up!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: