2024-04-23, 09:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Comcast Interferes With P2P Uploading  (Read 6156 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2007-10-19, 17:47 »

NEW YORK - Comcast Corp. actively interferes with attempts by some of its high-speed Internet subscribers to share files online, a move that runs counter to the tradition of treating all types of Net traffic equally.

The interference, which The Associated Press confirmed through nationwide tests, is the most drastic example yet of data discrimination by a U.S. Internet service provider. It involves company computers masquerading as those of its users.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21376597/page/2/

So... anyone here a Comcast subscriber?  If so, perhaps you should get together with other fellow Comcast subscribers and let Comcast know what you think of this sort of thing.  I don't think that people want to pay for internet service only to have their service sabotaged like this.  I'm concerned this kind of thing will spread.  How long before it's more than just file sharing?  When does "traffic management" turn into censorship?  This is why Net Neutrality is so important.  Giving preference to certain kinds of content means stifling other content, which means important information will be squelched and the internet will turn into one giant cesspool of marketing, marketing, and more marketing.  I'd advise all of you (and your friends and those you know) not to let that happen.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-19, 19:04 »

Seconded. Typical slippery-slope-big-marketeer-brother type set up, this is.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-19, 20:17 »

Same thing here. The Terra internet company made it's subscribers go slower than they were actually paid for. According to them, it was against piracy.Yeah right.

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #3 on: 2007-10-19, 22:14 »

Man I hope they end up regretting their decision before other ISPs do the same thing...
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #4 on: 2007-10-22, 17:46 »

Unfortunately, I fear there's only one thing that would make them see this as a bad thing, and that's hitting the company in its wallet. In most cases, though, I think there is only one real high-speed option in most areas, and I doubt most people would be willing to give up their broadband speeds for a while to put a stop to this.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #5 on: 2007-10-23, 21:39 »

lol american isps suck

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2007-10-24, 01:34 »

Not all of them.  Considering that only a few years ago dialup was the only option, I'm pretty content with what I've got.  There's always room for improvement of course.  What Commiecast is pulling is just rotten though.  This is why the net neutrality bill should be supported, though I don't think it's in either political party's interests to support it.  Money talks, after all, and when it comes to legislation to protect rights of individual citizens... well that's long since been eclipsed by "corporate rights", a concept that I scratch my head over time and time again.  I'm no constitutional scholar, but unless you're with the Brady Campaign I thought the definition of the word "people" was fairly straight forward and easy to grasp.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2007-10-24, 02:04 »

And here's an update.

As I mentioned in an article last month, Comcast's tactics may very well be violating the law. Many states make it illegal for an individual to impersonate another individual. New York, a state notorious for its aggressive pro-consumer office of the Attorney General, makes it a crime for someone to "(impersonate) another and (do) an act in such assumed character with intent to obtain a benefit or to injure or defraud another." (See: NY Sec. 190.25: Criminal impersonation in the second degree). I do not believe that it would be too difficult to prove that Comcast obtains a benefit by impersonating others to eliminate or reduce BitTorrent traffic. Less torrent data flowing over its network will lead to an overall reduction in its bandwidth bill, and thus a huge cost savings.

With regard to Comcast's legal liability, von Lohmann said that he could not comment as he had not yet had a chance to review the New York anti criminal impersonation laws. He did, however, state that "(The EFF has) already been contacted by attorneys who are considering legal action against Comcast." In the meantime, the EFF will "continue to perform tests in hopes of better understanding how this works and how it might effect Comcast subscribers and other Internet users."

While the EFF is holding back for now, it seems clear that other lawyers are circling in the water. They can smell blood. Not only is Comcast actively impersonating its customers on the Internet, but it has continued to deny it for the past two months. Should the court's approve a class action lawsuit, Comcast could be looking at a world of pain--and rightly so.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9802410-46.html

So apparently the Electronic Frontier Foundation and some others might be considering legal action against Comcast.  If you're a Comcast subscriber, stay tuned.  You might just end up getting some free dough in a class action lawsuit in a year or so.  D'oh for Comcast, dough for you?  Sounds good to me, at least, until they jack the rates to recover their losses.  Maybe Roadrunner will have a sweet deal for you about that time.  Slipgate - Laugh

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #8 on: 2007-10-24, 14:14 »

Indeed a great opportunity for the competition. Promotions are likely to appear, so as to attract customers.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: