2024-03-28, 23:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Earth Soldier Model  (Read 4194 times)
bengreenwood

Ogre

« on: 2008-02-02, 16:27 »

Hi,

I'm just wondering, how come the Earth Soldier doesn't look the same as how BJ looks in Wolfenstein? I mean, he's wearing a grey prison outfit in the title screen:

Presumably you guys made it different on purpose.

I also noticed that on the box of Spear of Destiny, BJ just wears a pair of grey trousers, as seen here:

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/wolfenstein/spear/

Would it be copyright infringing to have a go at making the player models appear a bit more like those? I was thinking I might have a go at skinning a suitable model, if I can find one. I mean there are masses of Quake 3 models around I'm guessing I might be able to find one that's suitable..
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-02-02, 17:32 »

The Earth Soldiers class uses the Sarge model from Quake 3 for our Wolfenstein-era hero because he's included with Quake 3 along with Ranger, Doom, and Grunt, and he fits the gritty, "soldier's soldier" role.  This decision was made early on along with other design changes to update the Wolfguy's arsenal a bit and to let him actually wear armor and carry more than 99 bullets.  We'll be sticking with our choice there.

As for the grey pajamas..  why would BJ go into battle in the Arenas Eternal without some kind of body armor and uniform?  That's the original reason he was wearing them in Wolfenstein 3D, and they just never changed the sprite for the prequel and sequel games.  We could always make a grey "urban" camo version of the current uniform we have on the sarge model at some point.

No regarding box art, take a look at the box art for the original Wolfenstein-3D:

The Germans are using rifles that look remarkably like the US made M-16 assault rifle, which did not exist until the 1960's, and again he looks like Conan the Barbarian with trousers and a Big Gun, for which he's wasting ammo by shooting the ceiling instead of the Nazi he's planting his foot into, which you could not do in the game.  No prison jumpsuit there either.  It's just box art!
  Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
bengreenwood

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: 2008-02-02, 21:44 »

lol nice reference to Conan the Barbarian. Yeah, true, I see your point and I mean, it's not like I'm saying the Generations model doesn't seem like BJ. I just remember seeing BJ wearing that prison jumpsuit during the 3D0 intermission screens so that's kind of how I remember him looking. It's just a nostalgia thing. It'd be nice to have the option though. lol maybe even the Conan version too. lol I just noticed not only does one of those German soldiers seem to be wielding an M16, another seems to be wearing a British-style police helmet:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: