2024-03-28, 20:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generations Map Pack  (Read 4076 times)
bengreenwood

Ogre

« on: 2008-02-16, 15:31 »

Hi,

I've been thinking, how's about having some kind of map pack for Generations? Basically it would be a selection of the very best Quake 3 maps that are already out there, particularly those ones that are kind of Wolfenstein/ Doom/ Quake in terms of style. I was looking on http://lvlworld.com/, and they have hundreds there, so you could come up with an amazing selection of maps, if you looked through them all.

And you know, I don't mind doing that myself, because it's just kind of like exploration to me. Some of the maps could take a very small amount of tweaking (changing a few logo textures etc.), and then they'd feel a lot like maps from ID games. I mean, many of them already do, apart from some logos etc.

For example, this would be an awesome Doom style map:

http://lvlworld.com/#c=m8&i=1904&...m=All&n=1&p=review&q=q3nem06

I dunno if the designers of maps like that would be willing to change a few textures, but even if they're not, maps such as that would still be great for a Generations map pack.

This one reminds me of Quake 2, and it looks amazing:

http://lvlworld.com/#c=m8&i=1941&...=All&n=1&p=review&q=rota3dm2

So how's about it? I'm not saying this would be something to include with Generations, you could just have it on the downloads page. Of course, someone would need to get permission to have these maps as part of a pack for Generations or even see if they could be re-textured to be a little more Doom/ Wolf/ Quake etc., but I'd be willing to email the authors asking them all that.

So if I could get permission for all that, and I could find say, 20-30 maps which are all awesome, and appropriately styled, might you guys consider having it as some kind of Generations map pack? Obviously you'd have the final say as to what goes in.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-02-16, 15:50 »

?

My advice as given before still stands: before spending much time in suggesting the obvious, why not do some research? If you join a project's community at a (very) late stage, you're going to have to take into account the likelyhood of its members already having had or even completed what might freshly pop in your mind. I admire your enthusiasm, and hate to see it go to waste like this.

On the downloads page, you will find that we
have DM and CTF mappacks specifically tailored for use with Generations available.

In the past we have generally let the release of such mappacks coincide with public beta updates. We're currently (and have been for quite some time) keeping the score on possible (re)additions to a wholly new mappack, that we hope will accompany our Generations 1.0 release. For that, we keep track of LvL, yes, as well as various other mapping-community hotspots, discuss the merits of maps and vote for in- or exclusion. In that process, q3nem06 has been considered but ultimately removed from the list and rota3dm2 currently makes a shot at making it in (votes pending).

In short: you're free and welcome to explore the mapping communities to hunt for good Generations maps. Just keep in mind that by far most likely looking candidates you'll find are known to us and part of our map selection lists. If that's no problem for you, go for it.
One thing I'd like to stress is that we'd rather not have you or any other third party contact map authors directly (especially not in the name of Wirehead Studios) to request the use of their maps -- that's something we shall do ourselves at a later stage in our mappack-project.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2008-02-16, 19:10 »

What Tab said.  In addition, you can see screenshots all the current maps in our map packs here.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: