2024-04-18, 01:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bot AI in 1.0  (Read 4068 times)
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« on: 2008-02-28, 17:15 »

I was wondering if you guys had done any tweaking to the Q3 Bots for 1.0?  Like, changing bot AI to correspond to the class it is playing as?

I've noticed Doom seems to get the short end of the stick sometimes when it comes to computer intelligence.  Doom Bots will use the Chainsaw like its a machinegun (trying to "saw" you from long distances), or will hold a BFG in their hands and not fire it (I'm assuming because they have 'plasma' ammo, but not enough to fuel a single BFG blast, so they are trying to fire it with no success).

Also, some Earth bots don't take advantage of using 2 Gatling Guns, even if they pick up a BFG (which automatically gives them 2).  The only one I really see using the Duel Gats is Swine.

Are there going to be new and improved bots in 1.0?  Or perhaps later on?

-JL
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-02-28, 17:50 »

The "Doom not using chainsaw" problem has been fixed.  That's the only real AI change I've done so far.  As for the BFG... they use it alright.  I've been hit by it several times in testing.  As for gats... keep in mind that Q3's weapon system for bots makes them kind of stupid.  It's based on weighted values.  Every bot has a "favorite" gun and typically always use the favorite if they have ammo for it, then they fall back to the next favorite, etc.  The only real exceptions are the lightning gun and gauntlet because of range checks.  Gladiator bots for Q2 (which the Q3 bots are based on, same bot author) have this same personality flaw.  There's very little situational logic as far as weapon choice is concerned with bots at the moment.  This is also why you'll see some bots whip out a BFG as soon as they get one, and others ignore it unless they have no other weapon, and why some Earth bots like Swine like dual gats, but Sarge will only use one.  I did not want every bot using dual gats for Earth or players would get tired of getting gatted constantly, and there'd be BFG's everywhere.  That's why (for now) some Earth bots won't use dual gats.

Bot logic improvements so they can understand the Generations weapons are something I intend to do, but I have a lot of other work ahead first.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #2 on: 2008-03-03, 18:20 »

Glad to hear the chainsaw problem has been fixed.  The Earth-Dropping-Countless-BFGs issue is understandable.

Either way, the current state of bot AI in Gen isn't really that bad.

I've been trying Class vs. Class fights lately, and I've noticed that Slipgate can kick some serious ass!  I've tried to assemble a team with every other class plus myself against a team of Quake Bots, and we always get our asses handed to us.  Maybe I just suck.  I can get close with a team of Doom bots, but it will usually end up with a score of 50 to 49, Slipgate's favor.  Ouch!  Damn that Rocket Launcher.

-JL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: