2024-03-28, 17:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Environmental Effects (Such as rain and snow)  (Read 9941 times)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« on: 2003-08-18, 13:41 »

Does Generations (or Quake III for that matter) have any sort of mapping functions that would allow for use of heavy amounts of shaders, specifically falling snow. I have a very large, open area which I wish to fill with such effects, but I obviously can?t make a bunch of over lapping brushes, because not only would that look horrible, but it?d kill my FPS. I?ve seen a few maps using the Quake III engine that take advantage of rain and snow in mass quantities (Enemy Territory has two such maps), but I?ve never actually seen it done in Quake III itself...  I guess I'm looking for a worldspawn command or something *shrugs*
« Last Edit: 2003-08-18, 13:49 by dev/null » Logged

« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-18, 16:06 »

I don't exactly know how it's done, but I know it's possible. Q3F uses rain/snow on a few of their maps.

Never saw it done in vanilla Q3 though.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-18, 16:08 »

There it goes... logging me in as a Guest again. Gah... anywho, that was me above. Just in case someone was wondering.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-19, 00:35 »

ward was talking about rain and snow, but both him and lee apparently lost the .def file explaining it.. If that code is still in there, I'm willing to be it'll show up in the final file pho will be working on when he gets to enumerating those

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-19, 16:29 »

Look for a tutorial on how to do it, i know theres a few out there.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-19, 19:40 »

I did find a "precip" worldspawn, which looks like it'd do exactly what I want, but it seems to be Urban Terror specific  :angry:
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-19, 20:02 »

As I recall, any particle-based environmental effects with the exception of dust are all mod-specific. So unless mods start agreeing on them and sharing code, it's gonna be pretty messy.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-20, 07:19 »

We do have snow and rain effects.  As for the .def file we're going to be releasing the SDK that includes that as well as shooters and some sample .map files for both at some time in the near future.  I don't have an ETA on that right now, but it will be forthcoming.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-20, 20:50 »

FOOKIN WEWT! meesah want toys to play with Slipgate - Laugh

Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-25, 04:12 »

Hrm, where can i find these, i know i have seen them before.
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #10 on: 2004-06-05, 04:32 »

Ok, so I know there's like this code that's already in the mod, but I don't actually know what the command is... can anybody give me a hand? Falling snow would be [iso[/i] way cool for one of my team's maps, I know we're just a fledgeling team but we're trying to produce several remakes for the mod and a little help would be greatly appreciated, you guys seem uber cool, I hope you can clue me in  Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2004-06-05, 05:02 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
lord_malchia

« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-05, 04:36 »

Mmmm, ditto. Such information would prove to be invaluable in the completeion of our current project. I think our third party mappack will be to your liking, even more so if we cooperate in such small ways.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-05, 04:53 by lord_malchia » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-06, 01:12 »

Unfortunately the code for weather effects is broken.  We had it working in an earlier release and I think one of the Q3 point releases (GG Duffy!) managed to destroy the functionality.  The code was originally written for Q3 Fortress.  The source code to the weather effects are available on their site.  It is not native to Quake 3.  We may try to fix it in a later release, but for now we're considering it permanently broken until we can get time to tinker with it.
« Last Edit: 2004-06-06, 01:15 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Hollowpoint

Shambler

« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-06, 07:05 »

Try using Particle Studio.
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-13, 22:31 »

the 1v1 map i did for q3 has rain effects in it.
http://members.cox.net/~patrick.kennedy/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: