2024-04-19, 19:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT?!!  (Read 6199 times)
Sucutrule

Tank Commander

KETEZEIT PEW PEW

« on: 2008-04-12, 21:53 »

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=Columns&article_no=3605
http://www.sellyourtvconceptnow.com/orphan.html

Is there anyone here that draws, does photography or any art related activities?
Then this is something you should be as pissed as I am.

This can't be happening.THEY ARE LEGALIZING THEFT.
The only thing we can do is raise up and stop this.
Or the next thing they'll do is legalize murder.

How I am supposed to type will all this cheese laying around?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-13, 01:41 »

Registration, registration, more registration...  It's just an excuse to create bureaucracies that governments like, and gives large businesses the ability to pilfer what they choose and then sue the original artist if they fail to register which will of course require excessive legal documentation and fees to feed yet more government bloat.  It will take Foxing to a whole new level, and absolutely destroy independent content creation.  I can imagine the fallout on sites like Deviantart and Flickr.  Photography is considered a creative work subject to copyright so guess what that means?  They could probably take any photographs you've ever taken and register your own likeness for their corporate usage, and never pay you a dime for it, then sue you for posting a picture with your own likeness!  Talk about sick, imagine someone trademarking YOU against YOUR WILL because of some twisted loophole in this kind of law.

Bad all around.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-13, 10:35 »

As an artist, all I can say is ouch... that's just cold.
It's a hobby I have had since childhood, and now I suddenly have to devote my spare time to something else, lest I be sued? That's insane.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-13, 11:13 »

AH, oh man, it's things like this that make me wonder why on Earth I should continue to support this so-called "western society". Democracy, man, democracy, the dictatorship of the mighty and the powerful, who stand high on their office chairs and look down on the rest of us. You don't own anything, everything must be under their control, and their's alone.

Like Pho said, bad all around.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-13, 19:54 »

After spending almost TEN YEARS trying to stop Internet piracy with half-baked legislation and endless lawsuits, corporations now want to engage in it themselves. This will kill the creative arts industries quicker than any P2P network ever could. As someone who makes music, I'm appalled that such hypocrisy is tolerated simply because there's cash on the table. I have friends who are in bands and I've already emailed those articles to them.

Capitalism in action, eh?

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #5 on: 2008-04-14, 08:05 »

hmm... I thought I heard that died?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2008-04-16, 23:30 »

Actually, as the author of the first article indicates, it's not only the cash that makes something like this possible. It's mostly the apathy of the many. Just like the crazy stunts that the RIAA pulls, this deal could be stopped by millions of people standing up for their ill-perceived rights instead of couch-potatoeingly letting them go down the drain. Even so, this is even more blatant than I'd expected. I wonder when its equivalent will be proposed on this side of the pond..

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: