2024-04-20, 04:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of Net privacy ...  (Read 4618 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« on: 2008-07-03, 20:22 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7486743.stm

Say what you like about P2P, this is bad no matter what way you look at it. The "nothing to hide, nothig to fear" ethos doesn't wash with me. I don't like the idea that I'm being watched, especially given the other thread I started earlier. File-sharing is one thing, but getting busted just for hitting up YouTube is quite another.

And remember, kids, no matter what your religion tells you, it's WRONG to share!!

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2008-07-03, 22:21 »

Funny how they use the term "copyright material".  All material has copyrights of one kind of another by nature.  What they really mean is commercially profitable material belonging to a record company or other media outlet.  You could make an original work and you think anyone would protect it?  They don't care about copyright as a matter of principle, though they try to spin it that way.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #2 on: 2008-07-03, 23:58 »

Indeed. It brings us back to the whole "orphaned works" issue. I make music, but the BPI isn't going to fight MY corner if someone rips off MY stuff. Why not? Because it isn't making money, yet the companies it represents (and others) want to use my stuff for free, because it isn't "officially" registered as copyright. I've done the whole "mail it to yourself recorded delivery" thing, and that is enough as it stands, but if these arseholes get their way, well, let's just say that Tom from Myspace will lose one of his friends Slipgate - Wink

It kills me that privacy is only sacrecanct when it is commercially viable to be. Ultimately it solves nothing, Files will continue to be shared, music will continue to get steadily worse, legal downloads will continue to slap a ball and chain on their users with DRM, and the RIAA and BPI will continue to whine.

Music sales have been in steady decline since the early 90's, it's just that now the industry has an easy scapegoat. It is estimated (by the BPI themselves) that there are 6.5 million P2P users in the UK ALONE. So, if at the end of this 10 week campaign there have been 6,500 letters issued, that's 0.1% of the problem solved. Then, of course, if you watched the first video clip, there is the issue of plausible deniability, so it isn't even that much. It might scare a few people off, but it hasn't worked in the US so far.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: