2024-04-16, 14:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Server Moved  (Read 6601 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2008-12-21, 02:54 »

The "ah!  no ferrets?" Generations server has moved to a new home.  The new ip address is 115.124.100.62:27960.  I've updated the server list to reflect the new address.  It's hosted out of Chicago courtesy of Fourier.  This will be our new haunt for US games, so drop in and get some Gen action going!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-01, 22:26 »

The server is down and probably will remain that way for an undefined amount of time (hopefully just a month, but we'll see).

The previous server was hosted on a VPS which I and a couple others split the cost of.  However, the others have switched to just a standard dedicated one (a very good deal which I would have taken had I been around to get it while it was still available), so the VPS is gone.  I wasn't going to pay for the whole VPS myself.  As for a new server: I'll be making my decision in a month (for other reasons).  I might consider getting a private server (cheaper) and posting the password on these forums.  This means that people will have to come here to play, but since a random player must download the mod anyway and sever downloading is disabled, it might not be that big of a deal (let me know what you guys think).  If I see another good deal, then I'll jump on it; for now, though, I'm going to be waiting.

Regarding the server location, do you guys have any opinions?  I will probably be able to get it in a number of locations (chicago, ny, wdc, atl).  I'm not going west cost (since then most of us, especially UK and European players will have much higher pings).

For the time being: I can easily run a high speed server off my local connection (2mbps upstream) on saturday if needed.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-04, 00:32 »

I'd say whatever is most convenient regarding cost, etc, since you're going out of your way to host a server, but as for location, we have people from all over the US play, so I think a central or midwest location would probably be optimal.  Alucard hosts a server in Europe and while some Euros will play on a US server, most prefer to play there for ping reasons.  I'm willing to play anywhere myself - US, Euro, my own personal ping doesn't matter to me so whatever is best for the other players is where my vote goes.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: