2024-03-29, 12:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Return of the game-modes (yes, again..)  (Read 15947 times)
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2003-08-24, 23:24 »

After noticing games' comment about a bfg10k night instead of a forum game, the thought occurred to me. We've got DMflags, Genflags, why not WeapFlags?

Force a certain class of weapons, or ban another.

I realize it could get iffy with some of the weapons, lightning guns for example, but the potential intrigues me. The possibility of a fully-loaded shotgun, rocket launcher, railgun, grenade launcher, plasma, or melee match might be fun..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-25, 08:01 »

Angst:  This is something I had kind of intended on doing down the road, once we get to gameplay mode implementation.  In fact, it might even be hiding in one of the readme files.  Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-25, 15:50 »

problem you have with 1 weapon gamemods in gen would be that some class will always dominate with some weapon.
if you woud have a bfg arena then the arena class will dominate it with its rapidfire .
if you would do it with machinegun then  slipgate has a problem , nails arent instant ) and arenas machinegun isnt gonna cut it .

rail , well doom AND slipgate have a problem with that .
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-25, 19:14 »

Arena bfg isn't that great, the 9k is much owwie, the 10k is worse, then you've got dualgats and that @#$%ing shaft to worry about. For a rail-only... Well, doom's gat would work, slippy's on the downside since the shaft is his best bet then.. Machineguns, slippy's got his shotgun, doom's pistol packs a punch, earth and strogg have submachineguns. etc, it'll take some planning, but it's not THAT iffy.

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-25, 19:30 »

I think that if we were to have this gamemode, we'd have to playtest & tweak the starting weapons each class would get a LOT. Doom can own things long-range with a gat or with his sg. However, he can't get those powerful 1-hit kills that the railguns offer, so Doom will always be at a disadvantage. Same with the Slipgater. They need to start with armor & other weapons to make up for their disadvantage if this gamemode were to exist.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-25, 21:37 »

Well Tek, it's good you brought that up, but I've already got a counter for it. The railgun packs a punch yes, but the railgun is slow. You can do rougly equivalent damage over time with doom's gat vs a railgun. I'm personally more a fan of hitting more often for less damage than missing and then waiting with a massive damage weapon. Mid range, a machine gun is more effective than a railgun. long range the raingun wins, however, if you miss, they can and WILL close the distance while you're still reloading.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-25, 21:41 »

you never ran against my sniper or railgun did you angst ? B)
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-25, 23:08 »

Angst - also take into account that doom's armor is the worst of all 5 classes. A Srogg rail will always leave him reeling or kill him outright unless he's got a megahealth. In most cases, doom will get smacked around in the open by Earth/Strogg/Arena's long-range weapondry.

HOWEVER! A QUADED DOOM CHAINGUN WILL DOMINATE EVERYONE. PERIOD!  Sipgate - Evil  Sipgate - Evil  Sipgate - Evil  Doom needs to be a powerup whore in open maps like q3dm17. If he does come across a chaingun and his accuracy is good, he can hit people going for a rail mid-air, adding to their velocity and making them miss the landing spot.

Slippy needs to use his special physics to dodge shots and close the distance to medium range, where his rockets become the most effective. His armor is quite good, so he'll have a much easier time doing that than Doom.

-

One thing about having special-weapon games that just popped into my mind: each map has an optimal weapon for each class. There are few well-rounded maps like q3dm6 that allow for multiple weapons to be effective. For example, q3dm17 is a long-range exclusive map. Eternal Arenas is a shotgun, close-range map. Dunwich is a grenade/shotgun/rocket map, with many hallways and corners connecting medium-sized rooms. Since some classes have superior weapondry than others (Q1 RL, Q2 RG, Doom SG/SSG, etc.), a gamemode that limited weapons would force unbalanced gameplay, even if other classes were given some compensation or balancing. In short, I think it's a neat idea but I don't see it working =/

One idea that may be interesting is to be able to customize what other classes pickup! For example, make every single weapon pickup a chaingun for Strogg and a gatling gun for Earth. Or, switch things up (even if they don't make sense), like when Arena drops a Railgun, it's picked up by others as a Shotgun. This idea needs to be played with a bit though o_O
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-25, 23:38 »

One idea that may be interesting is to be able to customize what other classes pickup! For example, make every single weapon pickup a chaingun for Strogg and a gatling gun for Earth. Or, switch things up (even if they don't make sense), like when Arena drops a Railgun, it's picked up by others as a Shotgun. This idea needs to be played with a bit though o_O

Nice idea, but I don't think that the custom drops is possible under the current codebase. Has to do with the way we got around the 16 weapon limit. I may be wrong, but I think that things are pretty hard-coded in that area.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-26, 05:23 »

Custom pickups are a nono, it'll break Gen. The weapons are hardcoded for playability reasons.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-08-26, 10:42 »

I would like to see 1 more item for when resurgence comes out .
its the item from q1 the scourge of armagon .

the horn of conjuring
Upon activation, a random creature is spawned in to protect you. This creature will fight by your side and help you destroy all of your enemies. The creature will continue to fight for you until he is killed. Be careful though, you can accidentally kill your servant creature.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2003-08-26, 14:44 »

now, while the idea of turning gen:resurgence into something akin to pokemon DOES sound mildly amusing, I don't think that'll fly.

games keeper

Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-08-26, 15:05 »

have you ever played hexen or hexen2 , thee you could also summon a monster that helps you for a period of time .
now in quake1  it was fun to find that horn. because on that moment a creature (evrething from a dog till  shambler ) appeared   and helped ya fight the other monsters .

now that was fun .
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-08-27, 04:52 »

again, I'll state that it's not a very feasible idea, next topic..

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2003-08-27, 05:41 »

There will be no "Icon of Cyberdemon Summoning" within Generations.

Single-weapon gameplay modes ARE possible, as item swapping is possible within a VERY limited framework.  It requires some... careful thought as to how it could be best implemented.  It's one of those "we'll play with it when we get to it" things.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-08-27, 10:42 »

ok ok ok . no cyberdemon .
can we spawn an arachnatron with a plasmagun please Slipgate - Smile
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #16 on: 2003-08-28, 15:05 »

Well, I'd have to check with pho, but I THINK there's the possibility of the arachnotron making it into the doom warriors. But I really don't think summoned monsters are going to make it in gen. Resurgence MAYBE, but I can almost 80% guarantee, maybe more, that it's NOT going to fly in gen.

edit: and looking at pho's previous post, I think that covers it, there will be no monster summoning in gen, ever.
« Last Edit: 2003-08-28, 15:29 by Angst » Logged

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #17 on: 2003-08-28, 15:58 »

Now, back to the topic:

Some feasible game modes:

Last Man Standing: Fairly self-explanatory. Basic DM rules, dead players become spectators until there is one player left "alive." Last Man Standing gets X number of frags. Possibly the only scoring possible in this mode.

Hunter/Hunted: One Hunter, everyone else is Hunted. Only the Hunter may score frags, a Hunted fragging a Hunter becomes the Hunter.

King of the Platforms: Players score by knocking their opponents into the void/etc kill brushes.
« Last Edit: 2003-08-28, 15:58 by Angst » Logged

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2003-08-28, 16:14 »

King of the Platforms: Players score by knocking their opponents into the void/etc kill brushes.

Slipgate Wins
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #19 on: 2003-08-28, 16:15 »

I would love to see Hunter/Hunted... though I rarely play with enough people to make that enjoyable, it is one of my more favored game modes. King of the Platforms is something I have never really considered before, the description brings back fond memories of Worms though  Slipgate - Laugh
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: