2024-04-19, 07:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Mapping Question  (Read 10986 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« on: 2009-08-27, 00:51 »

Ok.. so let's say I have a pipe running along a wall, and I want this pipe to always hug that wall. So the wall bends in its usual 90 degree fashion. How do I get the pipe to bend in that same fashion while always hugging the wall? It even possible?

I know how to bend cylinders, and have done so.. but this little bit has me stumped..

EDIT: After countless attempts trying to get this, hours before even making this initial post, I finally got it! A bit simpler than what I was expecting too, but.. I guess that's only nature. Sorry for wasting even more forum space. :/
« Last Edit: 2009-08-27, 01:25 by Thomas Mink » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-27, 01:27 »

Do you mean bending it with curves? because in that case you'd probably be best off letting some of the patches clip the wall brushes. Probably won't get you any z-fighting in that case.

If you're making a pipe with brushes, you have to miter and add in smaller corner bits to get a rounded look. The big trick is usually to use clipping rather than vertex manipulation (don't know how you're going about it usually, but switching to using the brush clipper really helped me in lots of cases).

I'm no expert (yet), but if you want me to think along, get me a sketch of what you want as a result..

Edit: hah! You solved it as I typed. Congrats :]

By the way, what are you making?

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-27, 01:38 »

By the way, what are you making?

The whole pipe thing was a big part of my DM5 remake from a couple years ago.. and I could never really figure it out. I've been stabbing at the map, even going so far as to delete everything but one room and start over again a few months ago. But I've been doing basic bits of geometry here and there over the last few days (it's really, really sad how many minutes I can spend on one simple and generic stairway).. but I still wanted to do something with pipes.

It was holding me back from doing anything major, because it was a core principal of my initial concept. Now that I know it can be done.. we shall see.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-29, 02:51 »

Ok, so this is gonna sound stupid.. but how do I make water act like, well.. water? That is, instead of a fancy, shifting, and rock solid floor.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. It's like no matter what I do, the water insists on being solid. I even tried copying the values of a default q3 liquid and just replacing the texture paths, and got the same result there too.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-29, 09:03 »

Sounds like your map editor or the compiler (I assume it's gtkradiant / q3map2) can't find the necessary shader files. Q3 can, so it renders the water shader making it look like water, but the BSP wasn't compiled with the shader, making it a solid.

If that's it, you have to make sure a complete shaderlist.txt is in the right place for radiant to find it.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-29, 11:12 »

The water going solid is a know issue regadring q3mapping, if i rember it correctly, only one face per brush decided whatever it's solid or not, so in this case your using maybe the "nodraw" asset and texture the top with the water texture, thus it gets solid.

it's really easy to fix, just create a shader with the (im not at home atm so dont rember what it's called) "liquid" parameter apply it on all sides of the brush cept the top one (there you place your water shader).

anyways going home from work now so see ya! Slipgate - Laugh
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-29, 16:44 »

I use 'nodraw non-solid' for liquids, so that wasn't the case. When I tried using a normal 'nodraw' for a lava pool in my one map a few years ago, it was pretty weird. The lava wasn't solid, so I'd still fall through it.. but I wouldn't swim either, and it also didn't hurt to be in it. It was like empty space, only with a fancy top.

Turns out Tab was right. I never really made water before, so this was bugging me to no end. I wanted to take a break from geometry to try and get a working water shader that I'll eventually need.. ended up confused and semi-annoyed for like 3 hours or so. Trying to search for the answer didn't really get me anywhere either (tho I'll admit I was probably searching wrong).

Thank you both for the help.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-29, 19:03 »

Been there. Pretty much had the same problem when I was trying to get dotproduct terrain to work -- took me hours to discover that the problem was as simple as pointing radiant to the right shaders. D'oh. You'll only fall for it once! :]

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2009-08-29, 21:05 »

Well that's the beauty of doing this kind of shader
surfaceparm nodraw
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm water
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nomarks

never gonna get a solid water bugg by having this applied on 3 sides of the brush Slipgate - Smile i've used them since the first time i made a map with water..always had 1 brush that went solid for some reason..
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2009-09-08, 16:57 »

I had a nifty idea for a "nostalgia map," but I have to put it on hold or even scratch it entirely. It probably won't work, or if it might, I need some more experience before tackling it.

So, I was wondering what I could do instead (I really want to do another map, it's a lot of fun and there's many cool things to learn about mapping), and I noticed that there's practically no good DM5 remake. Before getting started though, I checked here and noticed that--ofcourse--Spawn/Mink had started on one a long time ago.

So let me ask you: a) are you making an exact remake, or more of a remix? b) if you're making a (pretty much) exact remake, how would you feel about me giving that a shot? If you feel that'd be in any way stealing your project or dampening your spirits, just let me know. I may well find some other map or idea to tackle.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #10 on: 2009-09-08, 20:54 »

I think seeing your take on DM5 would be an awesome thing. Mine is just a remake of the old Quake map, put into a Q3 environment.. minimalistic curves, flat walls, etc. It's just a basic recreation like my DM4 remake was.. only with slightly less inspiration.

I had grand plans of having half of the map or so 'under water'.. with pipes running along the walls and pumping water into the reservoir located on the map.. and rooms you could see through windows but not actually get to run around in (TF2 inspiration). Yyyyyea.. after starting on the pipes after figuring out how to curve them around a corner, I came to the realization that I'm nowhere near skilled enough, or creative enough, to make that work, and I'd quickly lose interest in the map.. again. So yea, that idea got scrapped entirely for my return to form.

I managed to get the basic geometry done, and have the item placement in a decent layout that I'm happy with (mostly true to the original.. but with 3 minor tweaks). There's still a few things I have to figure out before I can consider it done.. or ready for testing.. or whatever (like proper lighting, for one). I added bot support just for laughs and it wasn't bad. They predictably get hung up on the door, but that was pretty much expected.

But yea.. seeing your take on the map would be nice, and probably turn out a lot better than mine. I might be underrating myself or putting myself down, but it's in my nature to.

And thank you for asking.. you really didn't have to. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2009-09-08, 21:06 by Thomas Mink » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-09, 12:50 »

Not to get sentimental about it, but I really felt I had to. We're not that big a community and I for one know how annoying it can be if someone tries to take the wind out of your sails. If that's not how you feel about it, that's great.

The good thing about dm5 is that it is consistent in style and texturing (as opposed to all of the Doom maps) and it's not too hideously big either -- so it really is tempting to redo it.

I'm not so good yet that I dare to do serious remixing, but I felt that the water area of dm5 needed some work. Water is rather annoying in the fast paced world of Q3, so I half planned to make it so, or suggest you make it so: there's a sort of 'sewery' walkway between the entrances and exit of the water area, but if you want the pentagram, you'll have to make a swim for it.
I also wanted to try something to discourage RL/MH camping, but not quite sure what could be done there.

Anyway, since it's okay with you, I'm going to toy around with this. I'll probably be whipping up quite a few textures in the process, so if you feel like using any of those, just let me know. Come to think of it, I already have the button somewhere! :]

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #12 on: 2009-09-09, 17:47 »

I always liked water.. then again, I also love playing as Slipgate. Jumping into a pool party and sacrificing myself for the greater good was always fun for me, even if somewhat cheap. Slipgate - Smile DM5 has the added bonus of a pentagram to aid in those ventures.. probably promoting the idea more than anything really.

MH/RL camping was always a problem with DM5. Just hide in the door and ambush people who press the button to open it. Not sure there's much that can be done. I suppose you could have the door stay open as long as someone is in the room, which would allow greande spam into it. In Q1, the respawn timer for MH was also an absurdly high 2 minutes.

As for the Q1 button texture, that was the first non-Q3 texture that I added to the map. Felt kinda good to finally make use of it, since it was made for me on request quite a long time ago for a map that was since abandoned and forgotten for numerous reasons. Other than that, I borrowed two Q1 Retexturing Project textures.. for the door and water (quite pleased with the dirty water, even if there is no density once under the surface).

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2009-09-09, 20:42 »

For the RL/MH room, I was thinking of adding a button-triggerable set of grenade shooters (kind of like in the green/black charon map that's also in the Generations mappacks -- keep forgetting its name), somewhere close to, but not in LoS to the room... Not very Slipgate, but it fixes the problem in a fun way.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2009-09-10, 02:08 »

In the non-public Gen, there's viewblend code added so that when under water it will give you that water haze.  Same with damage blends, etc.  I think I have it fog tested so it doesn't blend if someone places a fog volume in the water, but I'll have to double check that.

I don't think I've ever run into a problem with camping on dm5, but that's usually because in Quakeworld I'm pretty much spawnkill.  Dm6 people camp the red armor spawn all the time.  I'm not much of a Quakeworld player, but maybe the best approach to making a remake is the same approach with Map01?  Start off purist, then see how it can be improved?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2009-09-10, 04:17 »

Aye, that's pretty much what I intended to do. I'm probably going to change the water section right away though, because it's harder to get the looks right for a changed version there.

I have the basic layout mapped out. Currently experimenting with textures and architecture.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: