2024-04-16, 13:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free e-mail accounts/subdomains! (POP3/SMTP servers with lots o' space)  (Read 8543 times)
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« on: 2003-01-24, 20:44 »

okay, i've got my backup mail server back up and running and am working on my primary; and have noticed that people in #wirehead routinely have problems DCCing or sending files to yahoo/msn/hotmail accounts.

since i'm such a nice guy so willing to let others benefit from my purty SDSL connection, I'm offering POP3 accounts to all the #wirehead regulars (i.e. Mojojojoe doesn't count) with your choice of:

5MB inbox, unlimited storage
10MB inbox, 60 day storage
15MB inbox, 30 day storage
20MB inbox, 10 day storage

by storage, i mean the length of time which unread messages will stay on the server.
if you go with one of the limited-storage options, i would advise you configure your mail client to automatically check for messages and automatically download and delete new messages.

you can get an account at either quakejunkie.net or doomjunkie.net

please bear in mind that my server shed hasn't been wired yet, so the backup server (my main computer) will only be on intermittently.  however, due to the nature of the POP3 protocol, any messages sent to my server while the computer's off will be periodically re-sent... they won't get lost.  all this means to you is that until my primary server is online, you may occasionally get errors along the lines of "host not found" or "connection refused" when checking your mail.

i also have one other offer to make: subdomains.  if you have a static IP address, i can give you a subdomain of doomjunkie.net or quakejunkie.net, i.e. cyberdemon.doomjunkie.net so you can run your own webserver or whatever, and give people a URL that's easier to memorize, as opposed to an IP address.  if your ISP supports it, i can even help you get reverse DNS to the subdomain, so when you log on to IRC, your hostmask will be something to the effect of user@cyberdemon.doomjunkie.net as opposed to user@dsl-093-044-052.sac1.speakeasy.net... not terribly useful, but it looks really cool!

if you want an account or subdomain, please e-mail me at root@quakejunkie.net or PM me on IRC.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2003-01-24, 21:08 »

How do you enable reverse dns?
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #2 on: 2003-01-24, 21:29 »

that's the ISP's job... it has to be done by whoever owns the IP address.  even if you have a static IP, you're still just leasing it from your ISP.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2003-01-24, 21:52 »

mm, so you could kinda think of it as IP forwarding, eh?  And you have to have a static IP?  Well, crap... that leaves me out Slipgate - Sad
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #4 on: 2003-01-24, 22:19 »

and me Slipgate - Sad

so no chance of a bouncer then phil?
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #5 on: 2003-01-24, 23:17 »

well if i can figure out how to do dynamic DNS, then i'd be more than happy to do it, but as of yet i haven't figured out how to do it, so no luck... i'll keep ya posted if i figure it out.

i think i'm on the way to cracking it... however it looks like it'll take a significant amount of work for me to set up, and may not be possible until i can run my own name server.  at the very least i'll have to write a client and server application to keep the DNS records updated.

you may want to look into "borrowing" a static IP.  if your ISP uses straight DHCP (most cable providers do, as well as a few DSL providers), you may be able to configure your network for a static IP.  as long as your computer is on, the DHCP server won't assign the address you've taken to another user.  however, if you leave your computer off for an extended period of time, your IP may get reassigned, in which case you'd have to find another IP to "borrow".  if you can maintain the same IP for at least a month, i can give you a subdomain, and you'll just have to let me know when it changes, so i can update the DNS records (updates take 2-3 days usually).
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #6 on: 2003-01-25, 07:37 »

mmmmmm... i lub scripting....

i think i've figured out a way to set up the interface for you dynamic IP people...

http://www.elitehost.org/dyndns/

now, nothing's functioning at the moment, but the two sections will basically do the following:
* Create new subdomain
using an authorization code i've given you, you can choose your desired subdomain.  this part of the script will initialize the DNS entries for your subdomain, let you set a password for administration of your subdomain, and allow you to configure the initial IP of your computer.

* Modify existing subdomain
key in your full domain (i.e. cyberdemon.doomjunkie.net) and the password you set when you created the subdomain to gain administrative access to that domain.  here, you can manually configure the IP for the subdomain, change the administrative password, or delete the subdomain.

>>> NOTE >>>
i think i may also use this interface for those of you with static IPs... on the create new subdomain page i'll just put a radio button for you to choose static, semi-static, or dynamic, which will set the TTL (time-to-live) of the subdomain name, i.e. how long other DNS servers are allowed to cache the entry.  to reduce load on the primary DNS server, if you have a static IP, the TTL should be no less than 72 hours, possibly 120 or higher.  if you have a semi-static, or "borrowed" IP as i suggested earlier, a TTL of 48-72 hours should work fine.  those of you who are stuck with a dynamic IP address, such as those using PPPoE, should probably have a TTL of 18-24 hours.
<<< NOTE <<<
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-01-25, 12:57 »

Cool! sure i whould like another e-mail adress than my webbased account Slipgate - Smile
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: