2024-04-19, 07:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: windows 7  (Read 6987 times)
Arnie

Shambler

« on: 2009-10-29, 18:25 »

Has anyone tried Windows 7?, i installed it last week and it transformed my slow annoying vista laptop into a flying machine. (could be down to getting rid of the HP bloatware i suppose). Only negative side is the lack of e-mail software.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-29, 19:13 »

Nope. Not going to destroy my setup for pretty much anything I do on a daily basis with my system, until I have enough free time and am bored enough to look for new (versions of) software that will reliably work with new OSes. I also don't have to get rid of Vista, since I'm still running XP. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-29, 23:19 »

Been using windows 7 since the beta, works like a charm. if you want an email client get the windows live package, they moved windows mail there. or get mozilla thunderbird Slipgate - Smile
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-30, 00:55 »

I'm not in a position to tinker with a new OS either.  XP is working fine and there are no features with Win 7 that I can't live without at present.  I have been reading good things about the OS though.  Even Linus Torvalds was impressed with it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-30, 09:32 »

Been using windows 7 since the beta, works like a charm. if you want an email client get the windows live package, they moved windows mail there. or get mozilla thunderbird Slipgate - Smile

Thanx ReBoOt, got it. When i saw windows live i thought it was the messenger program for hotmail.

Just for the record, i have nothing against using an OS that is working fine, but Vista was pissing me off big time and i read some good reports on 7 so i thought, it cant be any worse can it?. I tried downgrading to XP but a lot of hardware wouldn`t work and i gave up looking for solutions to it in the end.

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-30, 11:55 »

Not to forget Windows XP is an old OS, it's unsecure, hell drivers can patch in directly to the kernel whilst this is not possible in vista or win 7. I understand why ppls avoided vista, i did the same but there is no reason to avoid windows 7 cuz it is actually good Slipgate - Smile
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #6 on: 2009-10-30, 12:51 »

Yes i agree Windows 7 is looking very good at the mo. Unfortunatley as it turned out i couldn`t avoid Vista as it came installed on my laptop and since it was set up by pros you would expect it to run ok, which it did for an hour or so then it just slowed to a crawl. No amount of tweaking and upgrading cured it so i chose to upgrade as a final resort and luckily it worked a treat, no more slow downs or annoying crashes.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2009-10-30, 17:29 »

Heh... those "pros" aren't so pro sometimes.  Just because someone is being paid to set up the OS doesn't mean they're necessarily good at it.  Most factory PC's and laptops are image installs.  The OS is on the drive before it's even assembled.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #8 on: 2009-10-31, 05:00 »

XP is working fine and there are no features with Win 7 that I can't live without at present.

You'd think that real 64bit support would be pretty important for you coding types. Slipgate - Wink
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2009-10-31, 17:54 »

I plant to skip the entire vista bandwagon. I was very slow to adopt XP and i only did it when they stopped making drivers for 2000. Ive noticed it takes time for a windows OS to “decrapify”  through updates and improved drivers and i just don’t think Vista is ever going to get there.  Windows 7 looks like a leap i wont be able to skip, since being two generations behind is going to be unpracticle.

Dont even get me started on ME.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: