2024-03-29, 07:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank Goodness For Backups  (Read 6580 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« on: 2010-08-05, 00:59 »

I recently ran into some serious trouble with my PC.  I started getting BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION on the way into Windows about a week ago, followed by an immediate reboot.  After a few times it would let me in, until last night when it was infinite looping.  My "maintenance" drive booted fine though, so it didn't look like a hardware failure.  I hooked up my external backup drive, renamed my Windows folder, copied down the one I backed up about 2 months prior, and voila, no more problem.  The hard drive shows no physical errors and I'm on a RAID 1 array anyway, so I don't know exactly what happened.  I'm supposing the registry or a critical operating system file was damaged somehow by a glitched write operation.

Either way, my backup saved a lot of headaches and potential lost time and after repeated tests everything seems to be working fine.
   Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-05, 12:37 »

Backup is a good thing Slipgate - Smile the stop code on BSOD helps to find out what's causing the issue, but sometimes it's a pain finding out what's causing the issue, god i hate my job sometimes, but rather have a BSOD than the evil vista/win 7 Black screen of death..
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-05, 13:37 »

The problem with this particular BSOD is it rebooted the computer so fast I didn't even have time to record the code.  I had to memorize it over a few reboots.  I have Windows set to NOT reboot on a stop fault but it was doing it anyway.

If you're curious about the exception itself, the error code was this:

Code:
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2010-08-05, 17:41 »

Which reminds me.. time to make a backup of the forum.. :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2010-08-05, 19:34 »

Eww 9c.. Good luck tracking that one down--it generally seems to involve some sort of timing issue..

overheating AMD chips, PSU issues, RAM instability, and failing IDE cables are the short-list of likely culprits.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2010-08-05, 20:52 »

As I said, replacing the Windows directory with a backup copy fixed the error.  It has not reoccurred since.  Slipgate - Smile

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2010-08-11, 16:46 »

ox9c is usually an overheating CPU, or a problem with the CPU, so far i've only had this BSOD once with all the computers i've fixed so far and it was actually an broken CPU, so i find it abit odd that replacing the win dir fixed the problem Slipgate - Smile but anything that works is what counts! Maybe one of the cached drivers was the problem, i've seen those go corrupt and cause all kind of weird bsod's
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2010-08-12, 02:44 »

Aye, this was a strange one, but then, when I get a problem it usually is.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: