2024-03-28, 10:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Claustrophobopolis remake  (Read 35308 times)
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-27, 20:39 »

I pity the fool who doesn't play this map...

Have to install Q1 for comparisons, I suppose.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-27, 20:51 by ~Va^^pyrA~ » Logged
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-27, 20:48 »

type in /map req1dm2_a7 Doom - Thumbs Up!

and map is cooo :surprise:oool;yet to see bugs Doom - Thumbs Up!

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-27, 22:44 »

What i want is: You to run around the map and report back if it feels right? something really odd? Ideas for improvments?

Some of the areas seemed a little dark. Some of the buttons could be made more apparent.. one was just about covered in darkness (I apologize for lack of screenshots). The shootable one to get the red armor I only knew about because of memory from the original map.. that is, it didn't really say "you there! shoot me!" when looking at it. In the original map, if I'm remembering correctly, that particular button was in a slightly lower location on a wall closer to eye level, and surrounded by a reddish texture that caught one's eye.

The moving platforms by the RL also felt off to me.

As for oddities.. the ankle deep water is barely noticeable as water until you're actually walking in it. That's not the really odd part though. The odd part is ducking when standing over the sewer entrance thing.. you'll stay ducked after releasing the key until you jump or trudge your way to a more shallow area.

Other than those little bits, size and layout felt perfect! I'll have to have a mini-Slipgate only-botmatch later.. even if the bots might not be working properly yet. Slipgate - Laugh

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-27, 23:00 »

@ ~Va^^pyrA~  hells yes!

@ J3E125: See the wonders of the console! Slipgate - Wink

@Thomas Mink: Aye lightmap aint done yet so some areas are abit dark, but light will come to these areas aswell sooner or later! Slipgate - Wink

All the buttons has a reddish button background in the original map, but i really dont like the look at them at all, not really sure about the buttons at all atm might figure out something else for them!

Yeah the button in the corridor was abit further down in the original, howerver it is supposed to be a "secret" and that's abit what i want it to be but i could make abit more "HEY SHOOT ME!" button Slipgate - Smile

Platforms are synced in quake, i just havent had time to work with the timings on plats yet.

Haha yeah the water is off aswell, tbh it's just one big water brush and it doesnt cover the "pipe" entierly so actually your stepping out of the water brush there, will fix that later!

Well bots tend to get stucked in the centre of the map, just standing still next to the crusher (seems like they want to commit suicide)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-27, 23:13 »

Think about putting it in lvl world? Open arena has one but yours rules them all Hahahh!!!! Slipgate - Cool (oh I rate your map a 9.3) Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2011-08-27, 23:20 by J3E125 » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-28, 03:55 »

Downloaded.  I'll get a look at this tonight.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-28, 04:05 »

After running around alone, I got to play a slipgate only match.it is very awesome playing around I love the textures used and loved the death traps, so bots will be suicidal for a frag.9.6/10 Slipgate - Thumbs up!

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-28, 05:48 »

I can't seem to find my Q1 disc, so I'll just have to judge the map on its own merits instead of making a more direct comparison.

The only things that really stood out to me as being problematic were:

1) The map is quite dark in places. I know lighting isn't the focus just yet, but I wanted to throw it out there.

2) The buttons could be a little easier to activate. I found myself having to stop, turn around, and go back in order to hit the button just right for it to activate. Perhaps make the clipping a bit bigger around the buttons themselves?

3) The moving platform up top, leading to the grenade launcher, seems awfully close to the roof. I'd like to see the upper limits raised a bit, so that I'm not bumping my head when up there.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-28, 07:34 »

@J3E125: Well i make maps exlusivly for Generations but i guess with a few adjustments (aka jumppads) it could get released for general q3. Well what i felt was fun for this map back in the ol q1 day was actually the traps not often u see them in a deathmatch map nowdays!

Pho: cool cool Slipgate - Smile

~Va^^pyrA~: 1: Aye the map is abit dark will be fixed later on, however i wont go for a totally "q3" lit map it should be abit dark and moody thought!

2: Yeah i've noticed that before, specially those buttons down in the crusher is abit hard to push.

3: Hmm well it actually should be quite close to the roof or atleast was in q1 but i could raise it abit avoiding casually headbang into the ceiling! Slipgate - Smile

Anyways good pointers so far, thank you!
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-28, 18:30 »

Just had a run around this map and I think you've done a great job there mate, can't wait for the finished map. Loaded the map up in vq3 aswell and it plays ok, I'm not sure where I would need the jumppads 'cause I can't see where i'm going most of the time...lol

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #30 on: 2011-08-28, 19:22 »

Arnie: Thanks mate! *gives you a torch* Slipgate - Wink Well there is an bug with vanilla q3a and func_plat, you need to stand in the center of the brush or it might not trigger, usually it's no problem thought! but jumpads can make gameplay abit more fluid aswell
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #31 on: 2011-08-29, 04:46 »

Running around the map with r_fullbright 1 helps since lighting is not yet complete.  Here's a list of concerns

1:  The yellow armor behind the bars near the teleport that goes up to the floating platform can be taken by just running right up against the bars.  You don't have to throw the switch to grab the armor right now.  Could not do that in Q1.

2:  The ceiling area above the floating platform area does not allow you to jump very high.  In Q1 you could hop across to the platform then hop from the platform to the grenade launcher.

3:  The switch near the rocket launcher that puts the two platforms over the lava so you can go around the corner is moving sideways instead of inwards.  Also, it's taking too long for the platforms to extend.  I have to hit the switch, wait two seconds, and then proceed around the corner.  In Q1 You can hit the switch and run around the corner without stopping.

4:  The lava pit isn't wide enough near the red armor.  It's possible in Q1 to make a straight jump without the bridge being extended, but it's also possible to mistime the jump and fall in.  I'm making that jump way too easily right now.

5:  The moving platforms going from the lava trap room to the rocket launcher feel like they're moving a bit fast, and the hallway feels a bit short and narrow.  Feels like it should be easier to occasionally fall in the lava there.

6:  The ledge with the teleport destination by the floating platform is too narrow.  The teleporter is throwing me off the ledge unless I press backwards immediately.  In Q1 friction would stop you before reaching the edlge.

7:  It is possible to drop down through the bars overlooking the water pool.  This was not possible in the original.

8:  The weapon spawn where the nailgun should be is spawning a plasmagun.  It should be a Q3 machinegun spawn, unless you intend for a plasma/hyper/Perforator to be there instead of a standard nailgun.

I've also found some minor z-fighting on some textures but I figured I'd post that sort of thing last.  I also have something I noticed regarding what you mentioned on the other thread.  I'll post it there.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #32 on: 2011-08-29, 15:26 »

1:  The yellow armor behind the bars near the teleport that goes up to the floating platform can be taken by just running right up against the bars.  You don't have to throw the switch to grab the armor right now.  Could not do that in Q1.

6:  The ledge with the teleport destination by the floating platform is too narrow.  The teleporter is throwing me off the ledge unless I press backwards immediately.  In Q1 friction would stop you before reaching the edlge.

I just played around in the map some more and came here to post those two exact thoughts. Doom - Exclamation
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #33 on: 2011-08-29, 20:34 »

Running around the map with r_fullbright 1 helps since lighting is not yet complete.  Here's a list of concerns

2:  The ceiling area above the floating platform area does not allow you to jump very high.  In Q1 you could hop across to the platform then hop from the platform to the grenade launcher.

3:  The switch near the rocket launcher that puts the two platforms over the lava so you can go around the corner is moving sideways instead of inwards.  Also, it's taking too long for the platforms to extend.  I have to hit the switch, wait two seconds, and then proceed around the corner.  In Q1 You can hit the switch and run around the corner without stopping.

4:  The lava pit isn't wide enough near the red armor.  It's possible in Q1 to make a straight jump without the bridge being extended, but it's also possible to mistime the jump and fall in.  I'm making that jump way too easily right now.

5:  The moving platforms going from the lava trap room to the rocket launcher feel like they're moving a bit fast, and the hallway feels a bit short and narrow.  Feels like it should be easier to occasionally fall in the lava there.

7:  It is possible to drop down through the bars overlooking the water pool.  This was not possible in the original.

8:  The weapon spawn where the nailgun should be is spawning a plasmagun.  It should be a Q3 machinegun spawn, unless you intend for a plasma/hyper/Perforator to be there instead of a standard nailgun.

I've also found some minor z-fighting on some textures but I figured I'd post that sort of thing last.  I also have something I noticed regarding what you mentioned on the other thread.  I'll post it there.

1: Yeah i noticed that aswell during my test runs mostly a bad placement of the armor!

2: Hmm you might be right there i'll move the entire ceiling some units upward and test how it feels.

3: Yeah know about the button just have the wrong angle set on movement, on my todo list! Slipgate - Smile That might be true havent really looked on the timings on the original q1 map will take a look on how many seconds is needed.

4: Well yeah it might be abit harder jumping in q1 over the lava pit to MH but i've rarely failed that even in q1 but will try to increase the length by 64 units should be more than enuff to make that jump abit hard Slipgate - Smile

5: Yeah platforms is moving abit to fast know about this timings is wrong aswell compared to the original map! Could increase the width there aswell and since im gonna increase the width at the lava pit room it will be alot easier to also increase the corridor.

6: It's actually the "teleporter" pad that do that, since you actually spawn half a unit above it will lover the misc_teleporter_dest and move it abit backwards and it should be fine!

7: Didnt know about this, good catch!

8: Well yeah i know it originaly spawned an nailgun and not SNG however i felt the map actually needs another type of weapon than just RL, GL, SSG and sweaping the corridors with a doom plasma or earth flamer feels kinda nice! But any other thoughts about this? should i go "purist" or not on this?

Z-Fighting occurs in some places mostly because of some brushes occuping the same area, will fix that later on!

Anymore thoughts about size? the map is supposed to be abit cramped and i really dont want to do this too much in "q3 style" with wide corridors and rooms

Anyways thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #34 on: 2011-08-29, 23:39 »

personally if you turn up the brightness in the menu and fire up the map, it's still kinda dark,but visible dark,which is cool and could left that(not too dark not too bright) yet to play again Doom - Thumbs Up!

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2011-09-11, 05:31 »

Two other concerns.  One is the lava trap.  The small platform inbetween the stairs should be dropping people into the lava.  The second is with the crushers.  They should have some kind of damage value assigned to them.  Right now they're taking a long time to squish people.  In Q1 it was instant squish.  I'd say a damage value of 1000 should squish anything short of god mode or invulnerability.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: