2024-03-29, 06:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skulltag  (Read 7585 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« on: 2011-10-22, 22:56 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZnjXzCAKo
I need money.

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-23, 02:25 »

I like the concept -- I like coop and coop survival concepts in general.  The only problem is things like this can get very repetitive quickly.  It's like with Q1 or Q2 coop, it would be nice if there were just tons of monsters but we still had a basic objective.  Both games are easy enough with one player, with two it just becomes too easy to just walk all over the monsters.

I may have missed the point, but did you mean something by "I need money" that is relevant to this clip?
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-23, 02:27 »

i don't have doom anymore. Slipgate - Exhausted

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-23, 02:46 »

Skulltag is fun, but it's hard to find good Invasion maps.  The ones that I've played, other than the ones included with Skulltag, sucked.  I'll have to look into the one in the video, it looks pretty decent, even if it is using music from Unreal...

Fourier:  I need to do that version of Q2 coop that I was thinking of a while back.  I experimented a little with making the monsters' weapons equal to the player's weapons in terms of damage.  It made the monsters much more dangerous.  One railgun hit from a Gladiator would peel 150 health off you, and the blasters on flying enemies became extremely dangerous.  Getting grenades lobbed at you by a gunner became seriously lethal and one screw up in front of enemies with hitscan weapons could be the end of the game.  Maybe I'll get around to working on a proper coop version of that some day.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #4 on: 2011-10-23, 03:00 »

That "experiment" seems interesting, no more mauling gunners.....

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #5 on: 2011-10-23, 03:01 »

on the youtube links theres other levels of the mappack (to the side of the video) Slipgate - Thumbs up!

fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #6 on: 2011-10-23, 03:48 »

Sounds cool, Phoenix.  Modifying damage is easy enough, I could probably get through it in a night if I tried.  Spawn platforms would be cool, sort of like the Stroggos sending in backup or something, but the AI would have to come in pissed off knowing your location (not just sit around and telefrag).

With more enemies, I think regenerating ammo (not infinite since that's too easy) makes sense instead of trying to place more ammo.  I would think the rate shouldn't be fast and would have to be weapon specific or possibly as a factor relative to the delay of the weapons (which is typically relative to the amount of damage it does).

The health issue either has to be addressed (health packs respawn) or weapons need to be kept on death (since weapons aren't placed much through the levels, just ammo).

Anyway, those are some off the top of my head ideas.  I might grab the q2 game code and take a look at it.
FistMarine

« Reply #7 on: 2011-10-23, 07:00 »

I liked Skulltag. It's what makes Doom Multiplayer possible and yes, I do like to play coop and survival coop with friends against monsters. Note that some maps are meant to be played online with more players because some of them are quite hard with one player (example: Invasion or Survival Invasion)
~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #8 on: 2011-10-23, 21:51 »

The sounds
I need to do that version of Q2 coop that I was thinking of a while back.  I experimented a little with making the monsters' weapons equal to the player's weapons in terms of damage.

That sounds very intriguing.

I recall we used to play some sort of Q2 randomizing mod in coop. It started you with random weapons and ammo, made all of the item spawns random, and made all of the monster spawns random. It was great fun to start out with a fully loaded railgun, only to round the corner and see a couple of Tank Commanders on the first level. Slipgate - Smile
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #9 on: 2011-10-23, 21:57 »

Interesting.  Maybe this mod:
http://www.coopordie.com/quake2/

I guess the part that makes it more challenging is no one can die, otherwise you have to start the level over.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2011-10-23, 23:09 »

Well, actually I wasn't looking at spawning in hordes of Strogg like Skulltag does with Doom monsters.  I was more inclined to just adjusting the damage inflicted by monsters to force players to work together as a squad or else get bumped off more easily, as well as possibly throwing in a "lives" limit that would introduce the possibility of failure.  The main idea was to just up the difficulty to reflect the skill level of real Q2 players.  I also wanted to build in some kind of control on friendly fire to prevent griefing.  The increased monster damage would keep "Rambo" players in check, but what's worse is the guy that gets the railgun and stands behind the spawn pad shooting you over and over after Rambo goes through the exit door when you have 2 health and no armor.  That was another mechanic I wanted to introduce:  Nobody leaves until everyone is at the exit.

Q2 already does a good job of forcing you to manage your ammo in coop.  If you really wanted to break it down into a proper cooperative game then introducing some class division would also make people concentrate on playing certain roles.  Nothing as complex as making medics and stuff like that, but make one player use shotguns, another use machinegun and chaingun, another grenades and rockets, another railgun with either shotgun or machinegun as backup, another hyper and BFG, and of course everyone would have the blaster as a sidearm.  You could only have one player of each type, and the roles would be denoted by use of certain skins.  The grenade/rocket guy would be the only one allowed to pick up and throw hand grenades as well.  Not sure what to do for a base weapon on the explosive and energy guys... maybe just let everyone have the single barreled shotgun.  I wasn't intending on going that complex but with a 4 player coop it could work fairly well.  You'd have the weapons divided up as a squad, and since you couldn't use all the same guns as everyone else you'd have to remember to protect your chaingunner or explosives guy or risk the squad losing that weapon set when he died.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
FistMarine

« Reply #11 on: 2011-10-26, 12:31 »

Or better, make the players have 1 life (like in Skulltag Survival Coop) and if he dies, he turns into a spectator and has to wait for remaining players to finish the current level and in next level, the player that died will spawn with blaster and 100 health as normal. If all players die, they might not restart just the current level but probably the whole chapter/episode.
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #12 on: 2011-10-26, 23:17 »

I think its a great idea
*adds suggestion*
Maybe if you've doing a good job you during the game, you could have a backup weapon(discluding bfg) ; but it'll have little ammo.
 Doom - Huh?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: