2024-03-29, 12:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Multiplayer PC Games  (Read 15389 times)
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #20 on: 2011-12-30, 17:28 »

Nah, you get coal or other stuff for completing certain achievements in several different games, get seven coal you can trade them for something else (usually a coupon) but I've heard of people getting full games by doing either.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2011-12-31, 05:46 »

I've never understood why getting a lump of coal is supposed to be such a bad thing.  After all, coal makes fire, and fire makes you warm, so how's that bad, exactly?  Doom - Huh?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
fourier

Hans Grosse

« Reply #22 on: 2011-12-31, 15:40 »

It's used coal Slipgate - Tongue
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #23 on: 2011-12-31, 21:18 »

I've never understood why getting a lump of coal is supposed to be such a bad thing.  After all, coal makes fire, and fire makes you warm, so how's that bad, exactly?  Doom - Huh?
I say its useless for you, you have your own fire.
lol, a coupon.

~Va^^pyrA~

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

Do These Fangs Make My Butt Look Big?

« Reply #24 on: 2012-01-01, 21:40 »

Nah, you get coal or other stuff for completing certain achievements in several different games, get seven coal you can trade them for something else (usually a coupon) but I've heard of people getting full games by doing either.

I got eight pieces of coal by doing just the easy, Steam related tasks as well as accidentally nabbing a few achievements while simply playing games. The only thing my coal brought was a coupon for Valve games... kind of lame, since I'm pretty sure I already have them all. Besides, they go on sale so often anyway, it almost makes it useless.

I was a lot more keen on the Summer Event. Unlocking little in-game trinkets was much more interesting... and not nearly as convoluted.
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #25 on: 2012-01-07, 10:43 »

Ahh, thanks for the linkage.

I must step off my perch and onto the soapbox for a moment.  I despise this sort of list because saying this game is top or that game is top is completely subjective.  What designates "top" anyway?  Popularity?  Ease of play?  Learning curve?  Number of players involved?  Immersion?  It's always just a single reason chosen by the people doing the list.  There's no structured ranking criteria.  It's always unscientific.  In addition, mixing genres makes it impossible to create such a criteria.  Turn-based strategy games vs MMOs vs FPS?  That doesn't jive well.

Now for personal opinions.  I'm glad Quake 2 made the list, and that Quake was even mentioned, but #7?  Quake 2 was probable the most modded FPS game and the most played online game during the days of dialup.  The technical genius of Id at getting networked play from Quakeworld to Quake 2 counts for a lot more than that.  In addition, Counterstrike and all the stupid "tactical" shooters (I'm looking at you, Call of Doody Modern Failcraft 2) could not exist without the Quake engine since Half-Life was born from the Quake and Quake 2 engines, and Counterstrike was a Half-Life mod.  The Quake series should take the number one spot for multiplayer gaming because it did for multiplayer on the internet what Netquake did for multiplayer on LANs.  Oh yes, and Halo... I don't recall it being on the list, but I must bash it anyway.  I've never played it, but it seems to me that Microsoft just ripped off the Doomguy, ripped off Id's and Unreal Tournament's weapons, threw vehicles in (I think, it does have vehicles doesn't it?) and dumbed down the gameplay for the console masses.  If someone doesn't see that Master Chief is a blatant ripoff of the Doomguy, right down to the green armor color, then they have never played a real video game.

And finally, let's deal with that #1 spot. Team Fortress 2 in its current form does NOT deserve the number one spot.  What the game started out as was a great concept and very fun.  What it has evolved into (or I should say devolved into) is a dress-up game with occasional bouts of gunfire by people that haven't yet realized that Team Fortress 2 is no longer a FPS shooter.  Seriously, is there any testosterone left in the gaming community?  I look at how Duke Nukem got bashed by just about every reviewer for being a mindless shooter, Rage was ripped on for the PC due to graphic problems which are primarily ATI's fault for writing crappy drivers for pretty much forever... consolitis notwithstanding it's a very good and fun game or at least I thought so... and what makes a number 1 list is a game whose primary function is now to hoard cosmetic items to use as virtual currency for more cosmetic items that fulfill absolutely no function in any other respect?  What ever happened to, I don't know, actually shooting things and blowing stuff up?  We never got Episode 3 of Half-Life, and no Half-Life 3 so far... and why?  Because Valve is making too much freaking money from people buying
DIGITAL HATS to be bothered with making actual video games! Banging Head against Wall

So thank God for Croteam, and Serious Sam 3, for at least having some understanding of what gaming is supposed to be, and thank you so much Gearbox for the Duke Nukem Forever DLC, which was fun as hell even if short.

Rant over, and off the soapbox and back onto my normal perch again, though I'll end on this note.  I took the time the other day to play the in-progress beta of Gen for the first time in several months.  I've not been in any kind of creative mindset, and progress has been stalled for several months due to lack of creativity and mostly lack of free time on my part.  What little leisure time I've had I've taken the time to play Rage and the DNF DLC.  Well anyways, back to Gen, after playing against the bots a bit I still find the old action-fest, totally unrealistic game play of "yesteryear" to be just as appealing as it was when I first played the originals.  I contrast that to when I played Portal 2 and felt like I had been completely ripped off, since there was almost no thinking involved to solving the puzzles - which is what I liked about the original.  I've not touched it since the first play through.  I had much more fun playing Duke, which got horrible reviews, than playing Portal 2 which got insanely good reviews.  Why?  Because I make up my own mind about what I like and what I don't, and I like mindless action games.  The reviewers can stuff it!  I've played Quake 2, Doom, and Wolfenstein through more times than I can count, and they're still just as fun to play through today.  Long live the mindless action shooter, and may God grant me more coding time so I can do Gen some justice again!

I have to agree with all of the above... although I'm kind of bummed that TF2 has gotten lame. (just started the DL of that from Steam tonight. Awell... it was free :p )

As for my opinion on Halo... Duke said it right "Power armor is for p***ies" I laughed stupid at that  Idiot . And why did DNF get such a low rating everywhere I looked?? I still had it pre-ordered and still think it's a great game.

COD making it on that list? Give me a break. I'll take BC2, BF3 (especially Doom - Love) and even BF2 over it anyday. It's too much like an arcade shooter with its kill streaks and automated rewards. Software doing all the work for you is nonsense  Slipgate - Sad

Now for some of the things i noticed in that "count down"... ugh. Where were the other earlier ID games... shame on them for not putting them in there. Atleast they put Quake 2 in there. Worms? Ok. That one was addictive. UT2003?! 2004 was MUCH better. I thought I'd see WoW in there. During Burning Crusades the game was awesome. As the xpacs came out it kind of lost it's luster. Don't get me wrong, I'll still play it, but... It's not what it used to be. When I saw that Farmville joke I almost upchucked  Banging Head against Wall Where did they get that crap. Definitely not from a player poll. I know this all sounded extremely negative, but I had to throw my 2 cents in. 

Sorry for the lengthy reply guys. But I had to get Pho's original post in there. 

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: