2024-04-19, 10:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3: BFG Edition  (Read 50283 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #40 on: 2012-06-10, 22:15 »

It has nothing to do with mastery and everything to do with physiology.
My bad let me rephrase that:
Slipgate - WTF Haha the mighty Phoenix, attempting to use the "Weird-ass" joypad,
I think that's a fraction better. Phoenix, if you ever get your Talons/Feet a console (Impossible, but a Multiverse Phoenix could be reading this, and be interested) just sell the gamepad for a gaming mouse. And that controller, SOOOOO CLUNKY.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #41 on: 2012-06-11, 13:24 »

Midway's sound effects are one of those elements that splits the fanbase - you've got the PC players who, for the most part, hate them with a passion, then you have the PSX Doomers, who, while being aware that they aren't the original sounds, tend to prefer them. I, for one, have never been a fan of MIDI files and really like the dark ambience that the Midway versions feature, though that said I was coming off the back of the 32X version, so anything would have been better Slipgate - Tongue
I actually like Doom 64. It was actually it's own game instead of just being another port of the PC game(s). Hearing those sounds when used with the PC sprites, though... it's just one of those things where I feel if you're going to make it look like the PC games, you might as well make it sound like them too. It's just very strange to me.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #42 on: 2012-06-11, 18:25 »

Fan purity has never been a big concern of mine. I have played every version of Doom and i say without hesitation that the PSX version had by far the best sound, and it was over all a very clean, solid port. Doom 64 on the other hand was an entirely new game with its own set of merits.
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #43 on: 2012-06-11, 18:50 »

I guess it all boils down to what kind of DooM mood you want.

And then choosing whether or not to mod the PC version to have the PSx music and sound effects.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #44 on: 2012-06-11, 20:49 »

Well when i first started to play was on a pc without sound card..aka pc-speaker ftw, still rember when u fired the plasma gun the pc-speaker almost squeaked to death Slipgate - Laugh
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #45 on: 2012-06-13, 14:50 »

I've used the PSX music and Doom 64 sound effects in my Doomsday config for Doom 1 & 2 for the past decade.

The music compositions themselves for Doom 1 and 2 weren't horrible, but the windows midi synths are just complete ass. The SNES versions and Bobby Prince's Roland synth MD2s actually sound much better, but not good enough to justify compiling them into a wad and playing with those. There are a bunch of fan reduxes out there, but the Classic Doom soundtrack is the only one I've ever heard that actually sounds like a proper "redbook audio" rendition of the original songs, with live recorded instruments for the guitars and drums, and quality synths for the strings and effects. And unfortunately, the Classic Doom soundtrack only covers episode 1 of Doom 1.

By contrast, the PSX Doom soundtrack offers redbook quality music throughout Doom 1, 2, TNT and Plutonia on par with Doom 64. It might be lacking in melody, but it's got loads of atmosphere. If you ask me, it's more in-keeping with the original idea for Doom to do a serious scifi horror portrayal, rather than a GWAR concert. The GWAR take would be fun to revisit on occasion, except beyond Knee Deep in the Dead, all you get is Microsoft's crappy synth versions of GWAR.

As far as the sound effects, I don't know if there's any differences between the PSX and N64 versions, but in general the N64 versions are simultaneously so faithful yet so much higher in quality, that I don't know how you can dislike them. It's really hard to beat the boom-chick-chick of that single shottie.

As for gamepads, the real problem is that their build quality is so inconsistent. The wireless Xbox 360 pad is basically the best analog stick gamepad out there, yet even brand new out of the box, you still need a deadzone of ~15% in Xpadder to keep your crosshair from drifting on its own, because the analog sticks don't spring back to center properly. A couple pc gamepads like the Belkin nostromo and Logitech Rumblepad have more consistent sticks, but since they're positioned like the Sony Dualshock, anyone over the age of 12 will have to cramp their hands and risk their thumbs colliding and blocking eachother when executing right strafe and left turn movements simultaneously. Moreover, all analog sticks degrade over time, so you keep needing a larger and larger deadzone to prevent drifting crosshairs, which results and increasingly less precision.

Basically unless you custom order an industrial grade pad using frictionless hall effect thumbsticks intended for flying drone planes, you're stuck buying a new $50 gamepad every few years in order to keep top precision. All that being said, even with a slightly worn-in 360 pad, I can still score air rockets on level 80 CPMA bots, so it's not unplayable even for an ultra fast-paced precision twitch shooter.

In any case, for gaming on the couch, you are still better off with a PS Move nav controller paired with a wireless mouse, the Alpha Grip, or the Razer Hydra.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2012-06-13, 19:16 »

I still have an old soundcard with a Yamaha XG-GS synth chip on it that I use for midi.  You could use a software version of the XG-GS on Windows 98 and 2000, but they never updated it to work properly with XP.  My solution was to dig out the old card and use a Win2K driver that works.  Tabun uses a Roland card of some kind that produces great midi as well, which is what he used for the initial 1.0 teaser vid (the one with the imp snort at the end).  Either way, with a proper midi card the Doom music can sound awesome (and it does).

I suppose I'm a nostalgia purist when it comes to Doom.  I only play PC versions of it.  I tried the Doom 64 TC on the PC and I did not like it much at all.  I primarily tried it because people kept bugging me about some kind of "red laser" included in it that wasn't in the PC version and about how they wanted it in Gen.  Well, to me, laser means laser, as in, a continuous beam of energy, not something that fires red plasma projectiles in a 3-shot spread pattern as I found the "Unmaker" to actually do.  No, it won't be in Gen either.  Again, that purist thing going there.
   Doomed

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #47 on: 2012-06-14, 14:24 »

Yeah, the Unmaker was kinda lame. They wanted to create some kind of demon's artifact weapon, but the engine wasn't capable of much else and they were out of ideas. Doom 3's Soul Cube is much closer to what they were trying to achieve there. What's more, as an "actual gun" and not a story gimmick, implementing the Unmaker as a railgun clone would have added more to the arsenal than a tri-barreled Plasma Rifle repaint.

I still think Doom 64's higher-res graphics and sound, the atmospheric lightning, music, and the level designs, are great. If nothing else, as a mission pack, I'd rather play Doom 64 than Final Doom. On PC you just have to play with fast monsters on.
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #48 on: 2012-06-14, 23:41 »

Yeah, the Unmaker was kinda lame.
When I first picked it up, I kind of expected an auto BFG, I was disappointed.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #49 on: 2012-06-15, 02:32 »

There are certain things I expect when I play a game with a title and appearance of something I've played many times before. When I say the PSX(/N64) sounds are "wrong," I just mean that they aren't what I've come to expect. They are not bad, but they are not Doom's sounds.

I can accept them in Doom 64, since the game was its own separate project and has a look entirely different from the PC titles, but when I see the classic Doom shotgun or Doom zombie guys, there are certain sounds I expect. What you hear in the PSX versions are not those sounds.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #50 on: 2012-06-15, 14:28 »

There are certain things I expect when I play a game with a title and appearance of something I've played many times before. When I say the PSX(/N64) sounds are "wrong," I just mean that they aren't what I've come to expect. They are not bad, but they are not Doom's sounds.

I can accept them in Doom 64, since the game was its own separate project and has a look entirely different from the PC titles, but when I see the classic Doom shotgun or Doom zombie guys, there are certain sounds I expect. What you hear in the PSX versions are not those sounds.
Exactly!

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #51 on: 2012-06-15, 22:48 »

Doom and doom64 is just two diffrent games as i see it, they both have their charm and if you compare like that, doom 3 doesnt have the sounds as doom 1 Slipgate - Wink
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #52 on: 2012-06-16, 10:18 »

More on-topic, I just read this juicy bit:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-john...armacks-rocket-powered-3d-goggles-won-e3

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #53 on: 2012-06-16, 16:11 »

Oh when I heard about the 3D somewhere I just expected for tv's, but this seems pretty sweet.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #54 on: 2012-06-18, 14:18 »

It's kind of ironic that Id would debut a device using so much duct tape with Doom 3, when the most common complaint was the lack of duct tape in the game (re: flashlights). In fact, I almost imagine they added the offhand flashlight to BFG edition because otherwise someone would say "what, they got flashlight on the VR goggles, but not in the game?"
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #55 on: 2012-06-19, 18:37 »

Update: BFG Edition will release on October 26 in North America, and October 29 in Europe.
Consoles: $39.99/~€31.99
PC: $29.99/~€23.99

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #56 on: 2012-09-10, 09:29 »

Hmm... got D1, D2 and D3 for the PC. Plus I have 1 and 2 for the 360 just for achieves. I'm not sure if I want to get that for the 360 or PC... Unless there's some sort of thing other than 3d that my TV can't do. I love all the DooMs but there's just not enough info released that I've seen that would make me want it.

Slipgate - Off Topic
On top of that... where is a Q2 release for XBL?! Re-release D1, D2 and D3 and no Q2?! Ugh, they need to think about that.   

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #57 on: 2012-09-10, 23:08 »

On top of that... where is a Q2 release for XBL?! Re-release D1, D2 and D3 and no Q2?! Ugh, they need to think about that.  

Quake 2 has been ported actually, it's just not an XBLA title.  It was included in the Xbox 360 release for Quake 4.  There is no online multiplayer sadly, but the single-player is there and splitscreen multiplayer is as well.  (You can also do System Link.)
« Last Edit: 2012-09-10, 23:12 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #58 on: 2012-09-11, 01:43 »

it's just not an XBLA title.
Is there? Or do I have to be a grammar nazi?

FistMarine

« Reply #59 on: 2012-09-11, 12:58 »

I would buy this! Reasons are put in spoilers because I feel ashamed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: