2024-04-19, 09:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamespy, 1UP, UGO shutting down  (Read 4007 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2013-02-22, 04:18 »

Brief story from Joystiq here.

Since it's the one most relevant to most of us: Gamespy "goodbye" post here.

I'm... not really sure how I feel about this. Regarding Gamespy, I think a great number of us cut our teeth on netplay thanks to the Quakespy/Gamespy clients that launched the company, and though I lost touch with Gamespy when they became a news/editorial site I know they still tried like hell to put out a worthwhile product, and it's sad to see it go.

I know a few people who wrote articles for 1Up for most of its tenure. I was even mentioned in one of them after a conversation with one of them about my game collection (I'm "Glenn, a gamer in New York"). I genuinely feel it was one of the better gaming sites out there, never stooping to articles like "the ten best butts in gaming" as many others have over the years.

I just hope those impacted by this are able to find work elsewhere.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-22, 19:22 »

I can't say I'm really surprised.  I think the downward trend really started when IGN and Gamespy went under the same roof.  The various "planet" sites have been pretty dead for a while.  I think most of the mod activity is going on at moddb now, and with Steam becoming the most prominent way to organize multiplayer games, services like Gamespy are becoming superfluous.  There's Qtracker and Xfire for older games still.  Oh well.  Such is life.

Farewell Gamespy.  You'll be missed.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: