2024-03-29, 02:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Carmack leaves id Software  (Read 5279 times)
Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« on: 2013-11-22, 21:30 »

Story here

That sure came out of nowhere.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-23, 00:43 »

While I am sorta' shocked at the news, I've always believed that John Carmack usually cared about his technical work or programming over the actual game for the most part. I suppose there's not going to be any differences at Id with Carmack gone.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-23, 17:06 »

It's surprising indeed.  Carmack has been with Id since the beginning.  I wonder if he was having seller's remorse over Zenimax/Bethesda buying Id after having such a troubling launch with Rage and the problems with Doom 4's development.  Then again, maybe he feels he's done all he can with game engines and just wants something new?  Whatever the reasons, good fortune on your work with OR, John.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-25, 01:38 »

Then again, maybe he feels he's done all he can with game engines and just wants something new?  Whatever the reasons, good fortune on your work with OR, John.

Aye, I've always felt that Carmack was mostly a tech guy, which obviously showed in Quake 3, the engine was amazing, but the game itself felt a bit lacking from the tedious deathmatch-only game.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-27, 18:04 »

Honestly I don't think carmack ever had much interest in games except for challenge of programing them. If ID isn't already wheezing its death rattle by now i don't think this is going to change much. If anything it could be helpful. From what I've read Carmack wasn't always the easiest person to work with, particularly with types that were more creative than technical, and i don't just mean Romero.

Wouldn't that be a hoot. Romero comes back now.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-27, 23:50 »

I'm not all that surprised, really. I'm more surprised it took this long for him to leave since he always seemed more interested in building engines instead of actual games. Maybe at the start he cared.. but as time went on, it almost seemed like his interest waned and he just wanted to rush his new engines out there without regard for the actual game itself as a whole.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: