2024-03-28, 15:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 4  (Read 34991 times)
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« on: 2014-06-13, 01:44 »

My brain just melted.

MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-13, 14:51 »

Mine segfaulted.

EDIT: What are the chances of Linux support? Nil. Source code ever at all? Nil. Shotguns? Well, I hope it will run on WINE, at least.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-13, 15:14 by MadTux » Logged

Oooh look -- a signature!
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-13, 16:57 »

Mine went... "woo..."
Yea, I need more than just that to get me hyped. And even then, I'm extremely pessimistic about things.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-13, 17:07 »

The visuals on that cyberdemon look great, but visuals alone do not make a game.  I am cautiously optimistic.  I will wait and see.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-13, 17:30 »

Did anyone here get Wolfenstein the New Order (with that DooM 4 beta promise)?

EDIT: Isn't it sort of funny that almost nothing happens on this forum, but whenever there is a new post, everyone answers pretty promptly Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2014-06-13, 17:35 by MadTux » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-15, 04:52 »

There's not nearly as much activity on the board as in days past when we were in the .99a-.99e stages of Gen development.  I'd say mostly because humans tend to find a mate, become involved in rearing young, and that takes over their lives, so most of the WH team has gone that route.  I, being an immortal mythological creature and the only one of its kind, don't have those same concerns so I tend to squawk a bit more here.  I check the site at least once a day.  Slipgate - Smirk

As for Wolf... I did not pre-order it.  It's rare I ever pre-order any game.  I tend to wait until games are stable, with all the major bugs patched, and then pick them up for about $20.  I like to save the big money (ha ha) for hardware.  I'll pick Wolf up sometime when it's on sale.

Now as for anyone else having the Doom 4 beta access... I have 3 Steam friends that have the game, but I don't know if they have the Doom beta access or not.

MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-15, 06:55 »

Well,  I'm a schoolboy so I've got more free time, and I also check almost every day. And I'm a penguin.

As soon as DOOM beta comes out, Youtube will probably be flooded with videos anyway.

A
                       |
                       |
  Trying to get used to DOOM, not Doom 4

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-29, 21:55 »

Doom3 was beautiful when it released.. But I had a difficult time feeling like it was DooM.. Hopefully this.. what? re-reboot? captures the essence of the original better.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
MadTux

Ogre

*Personal* text? No way!

« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-29, 22:00 »

I still can't believe there aren't any video leaks from Quakecon. It's mindblowing  Slipgate - WTF

J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #9 on: 2015-05-28, 04:15 »

How about that new Doom teaser? It actually hyped me up.

Has anybody seen that scrapped Doom 4 trailer?

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #10 on: 2015-05-28, 18:11 »

The only Doom 4 trailer I saw was some shots of a cyberdemon walking, showing off its metal bits and you see its face at the end.

The current teaser doesn't show much beyond a double-barreled shotgun and a revenant.  It looks good, but certainly works as a teaser:  I want to see more.  I just hope they go back toward "classic" Doom with the look and feel of this.  Doom 3 is a great game, but we know what we all really want.
  Doomed

Quaker540

Beta Tester
Spectre

C++ programmer, sound designer.

« Reply #11 on: 2015-05-28, 21:47 »

What I think; No expectations and no hype until I see actual details in game. I waited over 11 years for the new Doom game to come out (Yes, I did tried Doom 3... But I'm a bit of a Doom purist and does not count as a Doom title in my book) and since then the game showed many shit I don't like -- Should never ever be implemented in a Doom game. Has anyone seen the scrapped Doom 4 footage? If you did, then you will see what I mean. Once you watch the first 5 seconds you will think "...Okay, now where's Doom?" because everyone can instantly realize that this game just wasn't Doom. It may be good for a Call of Duty or Battlefield game, but NOT as a Doom game.

I'm glad they wake up and are trying to make the game just like it's predecessors = Unique and satisfying. I'm not into this modern, repetitive crap I'm watching for the last 7 years.

Stop reading this. Just read my post above this.
J3E125

Spider Mastermind

In cunning 480p!

« Reply #12 on: 2015-05-30, 08:51 »

I agree. The scrapped Doom 4 footage was admittedly cool, but it really did seem like more mediocre garbage. I would not wait 11 years for a modern fps Doom.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2015-06-15, 06:06 »

So a new trailer was revealed tonight. It is no longer Doom 4, but merely "DOOM." Another reboot. They seem to have the weaponry correct, but based on other footage they showed tonight that isn't in the trailer, we have...

-"cinematic" falling sequences where our beloved Doomguy stops to recover from a fall -- no falling damage,though

-action much slower than what's shown here, and a fairly light population of enemies

-enemies drop health pickups like candy from a pinata, almost as though it's guaranteed

They're calling it Doom. But it's very much still not Doom.

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #14 on: 2015-06-15, 10:20 »

See... now that trailer has me wanting to see more, even in spite of all other things said afterward.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #15 on: 2015-06-15, 16:08 »

That trailer looks absolutely badass.  It's like they took a page from Brutal Doom.  If they make the game as good as the trailer, I'll be sold.  I'll reserve judgment until more content comes along... but the trailer is definitely badass.  Doom - Exclamation

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2015-06-15, 17:43 »

I... uh... just found this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-de...ler-brings-out-the-gore-an/1100-6428086/

The two videos show actual gameplay footage.  Here's my thoughts:

You get health and ammo rewards for killing enemies, and doing "finishing" moves seems to give you more.  You're being rewarded for combat instead of punished.  This is the exact opposite of how Duke Nukem Forever did things (and any other regen health game).  This means you're encouraged to get out and brawl with the demons.  I LIKE THIS.

Weapon selection is wheel-based, I would assume for consoles.  Slowing down the game during weapon changes makes this mechanic work better since you're not getting your ass kicked while fiddling with the interface.  I like this as well.  If the PC version will have classic key binding, then even better, but I could live with this interface.

Environments look a LOT more interesting than Doom 3.  It's not all pitch black.  This is about action - ripping heads off, chainsawing demons in half, blowing chunks out of monsters with shotguns - not creeping around in the dark, fighting one monster at a time.  At times I saw up to five monsters simultaneously.  I couldn't see perfectly in the second demo, but it looked like one monster went to attack another in front of the player.  If monster in-fighting is present that will be a HUGE nostalgia win.

You can actually MOVE AROUND.  You can jump and grab ledges to get on top of stuff, drop down from heights without taking damage, and even stomp monsters from above Mario-style.  The monsters seem to move around a bit as well.  I saw imps(?) jumping from ledge to ledge.  The player was killing stuff too fast to really analyze any AI in depth, but the player had to keep moving to avoid being ripped apart.

Lastly:

GIBS.  BLOODY. SPORKING. GIBS. EVERYWHERE!!!

I don't know what the final product is going to be, and I seriously hope they do not screw up the PC launch, but I'm quite impressed with what I've seen so far of the combat mechanics, and the visuals are just... Beautiful, though I hope the Hell portion isn't all completely yellow.

This may not be Doom in the "purist" sense, but to me it looks like the direction Doom 3 should have taken.  I'm wanting to play this, and I'm definitely wanting to like it.

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #17 on: 2015-06-15, 19:09 »

I... uh... just found this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-de...ler-brings-out-the-gore-an/1100-6428086/

The two videos show actual gameplay footage.

~snip~

This may not be Doom in the "purist" sense, but to me it looks like the direction Doom 3 should have taken.  I'm wanting to play this, and I'm definitely wanting to like it.

I agree with all of this. If Doom 3 played anything similar to this instead of relying on dark corridors with cheap jump scares, I might have liked it a lot more.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2015-06-15, 19:50 »

Ok, so here's my take..

I am.. Somewhat dissapoint.

I heard a lot of hype about how they were speeding it up/revamping. And this isn't Doom fast, this is console fast. I don't see/feel a significant speed difference from Doom 3, tbh, and this makes for a sad Angs7.

I honestly don't see a huge departure from the Doom 3 art direction, either. And I'm still a bit bummed that it's so orange. I miss the DooM palette, grey, green, etc.. Most of the "more open" is really just adding vertical.

In my estimation, "Doom" == Doom3 - flashlight + doublejump + mantling + executions

While I understand their purpose, the console gimmicks make me twitchy.

All in all, definitely a grumpy old man moment. I'll play it, and I'll probably enjoy it, but it really doesn't scratch that DooM itch.  Doomed

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2015-06-15, 20:27 »

Which is why we still have the classics.  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: