2024-03-28, 11:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake Live has a workshop  (Read 31406 times)
leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #20 on: 2015-11-14, 02:18 »

While I do not intend to use this thread as a name 'n shame, I'm reminding that there still exist the sort of people who have the audacity to claim full credit for others' old work and make up some bullshit about putting effort into it.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-14, 02:26 by leilei » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #21 on: 2015-11-14, 12:15 »

Well, I ended up posting those skins with a disclaimer. I'm not out to make a name for myself here, but on reflection it seemed a bit daft to spend 4 hours working on something only to sit on it. TBH if the original models hadn't already been posted, I wouldn't even have considered it.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
leilei

Spectre

OA lead

« Reply #22 on: 2015-11-29, 15:45 »

Generations Arena Q2 Railgun stolen

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #23 on: 2015-11-29, 19:53 »

That took longer than expected.

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #24 on: 2015-11-29, 21:04 »

*sigh*  I've informed the individual that (s)he does not have our permission to do this and a DMCA notice has been sent to Valve to back it up.  I hate having to do this sort of thing.  Probably just wants to play using a cool railgun model and doesn't know anything about why this is the wrong way to go about it.   Slipgate - Sad

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2015-11-30, 19:38 »

The page is no longer there, so either the individual in question removed it, or Valve removed it.  Hopefully the individual in question will learn from this and not get in trouble with the larger studios in the future.

To said person... if you're reading this thread on our forums, please understand that we do not discourage modding.  We're Quake enthusiasts just like you, but we've worked very hard on our project and are still working hard on it.  We may, in the future, allow our models to be used outside our mod on a case-by-case basis.  We only want to release our own content with our project first.  Professional game companies and publishers don't always ask nicely when someone uses their stuff without understanding how copyright and intellectual property works.  Please understand - some of them will sue first and ask questions later.  That's not our goal.  We're not out to "get" anyone here.  We just ask that people give us the recognition that our hard work does belong to us and to ask permission before doing something with it that we may not be ready to have done.

If you're interested in modding, by all means, talk to us!  Register on our forums and ask questions.  We're always willing to help fledgeling modders along to making their own unique content that they can be proud of, and to demystify copyright and intellectual property law and fair usage rights so that nobody makes the kind of mistakes that were made with Generations for Quake 2 that resulted in that project being shut down.  We don't want to see anyone's hard work get lost like that, so if you want to learn the difference between the wrong way and the right way of modding, please don't hate on us, but let us guide you in the right direction instead.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2015-11-30, 20:03 »

There was also a thread on the Quake Live discussion talking about just this sort of thing.  Some people are confused as to what is and is not OK, so I posted a blurb and subscribed to the discussion.  Hopefully I can help save some people some headaches down the road.  Thanks again, leilei!  Doom - Thumbs Up!

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #27 on: 2015-12-03, 20:50 »

Stolen Gen stuff that takes me back
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: