2024-04-27, 16:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Child's Play (A modern-day kid's view on classic games)  (Read 6257 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2003-10-16, 20:51 »

This has to be one of the funniest things I've read in ages.

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1338730,00.asp

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-16, 23:50 »

haha yea it's good Slipgate - Laugh

Ping? Pong!
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-17, 01:18 »

damn that makes me feel old :b

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-17, 02:09 »

back in my day we didnt have these new fangled game characters with high poly counts and thier fancy boob physics. all we had were a few sprites that looked like a fat wop plumber and we loved it!
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-17, 15:02 »

My brother's twelve and he knows what all of those games are. Not only that, but has played them and enjoyed them for the most part. Well, except maybe E.T., but that was a god-awful game no matter how you slice it...

Though I myself have never even seen a portable pigskin thing-a-ma-jig... Sounds stupid any way, primarily due to the presence of football.
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-17, 21:03 »

Quote from: Woodsman
...and thier fancy boob physics.
You played Sonic adventure 2 as well?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-18, 04:35 »

*sighs*

How things change so quickly anymore.  Can any of you imagine what it was like before video games and computers and cellular phones when there were no televisions or any other forms of electronics either?  That's when games were games, and required either imagination or the use of some (gasp) physical object to do something with.  Then again, there was much less time to play as children were usually off in the field bringing in the harvest, milking the cows, or carrying out any other number of chores that were rather necessary for the family to survive.  Fun was basically anything that wasn't work.  I'd say this generation of children is overly spoiled, but then I've said that about every generation of children.  It's not like birds don't spoil their hatchlings either, but then, every parent does.  Of course for us birds, well except for me, video games are a non-issue.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-18, 12:47 »

definately quite funny....
Twilight

Pain Elemental

« Reply #8 on: 2003-10-19, 11:24 »

damn pho is trippin, chill meign

the real egm article has more games, qbert is my favorite:

'why is he swearing?'

'youd swear too if you had to play this crap'
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-03, 10:19 »

it was better back in the days i still rather play an ugly game with good feeling in it then a graphic overload with crappy controls butthats because i was raised on a c64 and have had to wait 45 min to play for example a side scroller were you couldnt go backwards if you missed the ladder leading up to the second floor all you could do was run down into the spiky pit and start the level over again

that is not to say that games with pretty graphics are crapp but nowadays some developers seem to focus on graphics over feeling wich i suppose sell more units but limits the longevidity (lifespan of the game anyway, is that thing i wrote even a word in english?).

i enjoyed some of the games on my c64 quite a lot and would still like to play them but im appearntly not smart enough to get an emulator to work and then finding the roms of the games i enjoyed? cant seem to do it

however i do feel that children of today are a bit spoiled in the ammount of games they can play. a bit more conserning is that the little 12 yr olds are playing gta3 wich isnt really for kids if you look at it, neither is splinter cell imo ( i never expected to start sounding like my parents).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: