2024-03-29, 08:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 99c (new generations patch)  (Read 15920 times)
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« on: 2003-01-27, 02:02 »

How long before Gen 99c comes out? Is it still coming along OK? It's been awhile since I last visited this site. I used to be called Deadman but my account was scrubbed. I've noticed my bots don't work quite right in 99b. When I type in the addbot information it just seems to ignore it and makes the bot join as whatever the hell it wants. I can't control which player class the bot will be or even which team it joins. Also I've noticed models and classes mismatched; strogg wearing a slipgater model, strogg models with doom weapons, and other such crap. Is this going to be fixed in C? I sure hope so. I hate it when the bot I want on my side joins the other team.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #1 on: 2003-01-27, 02:08 »

/addbot major earth 4
/addbot doom doom 4
/addbot ranger slipgate 4
/addbot grunt strogg 4
/addbot visor gladiator 4

them addbots should work also
/addbot 'bot name'  'class' 'lvl'

dunno about that weirdness with mismatched bot models, weapons, post in the bug report forums, list every detail happening up to bot model/weapon mismatching
WolfCub

Pinky

« Reply #2 on: 2003-01-27, 03:51 »

Skill 5 sir, skill 4 is for babies.
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2003-01-27, 04:33 »

i use lvl 3  :blink:
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #4 on: 2003-01-27, 06:46 »

I use four Slipgate - Sad
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2003-01-27, 20:56 »

And i don't play aginst bot's Slipgate - Wink they suck period.
only time i play aginst bot's is when im testing something.

Try to play Gen Online instead much more fun Slipgate - Smile
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #6 on: 2003-01-27, 21:11 »

I would be more than happy to play Generations online excpet MY PING SUCKS!

Besides, I play across my LAN most of the time... I despise bots because they're to predictable
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-01-27, 21:13 »

eehm lillaz  its
addbot mynx earth skill 4 or 5 or whatever .
if you just type a nuber behind the class the bot will load up as default skill wich is skill 4 .
Slipgate - Wink

vadertime

never ever make such a title again .
I was almost thinking 99.c was out .
hell yo scared me .
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #8 on: 2003-01-27, 22:18 »

OK, I'll be more specific next time. I play against bots because my ISP is unreliable. It works when it feels like working. Although bots are dumb as hell and botstudio doesn't let me make bots behave exactly as I want them to, I can still make bots that can kick the shit out of anybody on any forum. Period. I don't care how good you think you are, I can still make an asshole bot that's nearly impossible to beat, because I can make bots that can outdance anybody, practically dodging bullets and bots that don't miss. Even the weakest weapon becomes unsurvivable in the hands of a handmade killer that never misses. Needless to say I don't make these freaks anymore because nobody would want to play against them.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #9 on: 2003-01-27, 22:25 »

That's because bots have perfect aiming when set high, which is a poor substitute for living oponents who think and strategize. That's where I have all my fun, messing with people's minds Slipgate - Smile Besides, bots are WAY to easy to snipe because they always follow a pre-determined route.
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #10 on: 2003-01-27, 22:35 »

Slipgate - Roll Eyes dunno bout you games, it works perfectly well the way i stated it

your way-
]/addbot mynx earth skill 4

loaded skill 1 from bots/default_c.c
loaded skill 1 from bots/mynx_c.c
loaded bots/mynx_i.c
loaded bots/mynx_w.c
loaded mynx from bots/mynx_t.c
Mynx entered the game

my way-
]/addbot mynx earth 4
loaded skill 4 from bots/default_c.c
loaded skill 4 from bots/mynx_c.c
Mynx entered the game
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #11 on: 2003-01-28, 21:59 »

I know your way works lillaz . even if you wouldnt type in the 4 you still load up a bot with skill 4 . (because its the default skill level )
load up a bot  with just the number 1 behind it it will load up the bot at skill 4 again because thats the default skill and he doesnt see the 1 as a ski;ll level .

so the 4 you type behind it actually doesnt do anything in your case .
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #12 on: 2003-01-28, 22:38 »

I know bots suck for not thinking and they follow paper routes. I wish I could make one that could use complex strategy and deviate from bot-trails but that doesn't seem very possible. Maybe if I learn enough about programming from my class I can make a better bot-maker program. I made a bot last night just for you. Even with everything pegged, it still wasn't as invincible as I remembered. I'm still going to post my bug report on bots because I did the same thing you guys do:  /addbot Deimos Doom 2 b 0.  As you can see this should make a doom-class bot with skill2 on the blue team with zero-ping, yet it could just as easily join the red team even though it's supposed to be blue. Sometimes they even join as slipgate or strogg when they're supposed to be Arena Earth or Doom. Sometimes the modeling doesn't even work and I see a slipgater with a plasma gun or a strogg-marine with a thunderbolt or something mismatched just as bad. I've even seen times when all the bots looked just like my character so everybody looked identical. Also if bots suck so bad, how is resurgence going to work? It looks like somebody's going to be writing a whole lot of code. :ph34r:
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #13 on: 2003-01-28, 23:03 »

Ah yes, the team error is something I have seen many of times... It's extreamly hard to keep them on the rgith team without them switching over for no reason Slipgate - Sad
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #14 on: 2003-01-29, 02:15 »

well, whatever skill number i type in that sets my bot lvl, seems i dont have a default bot lvl
Dr. Jones

Team Member
Tank Commander

« Reply #15 on: 2003-01-29, 06:04 »

Quote from: Vadertime
I wish I could make one that could use complex strategy and deviate from bot-trails but that doesn't seem very possible. Maybe if I learn enough about programming from my class I can make a better bot-maker program.
Also if bots suck so bad, how is resurgence going to work? It looks like somebody's going to be writing a whole lot of code. :ph34r:
the problem is not in the botfiles themselves, but how the Q3 engine handles the bots.  the botfiles simply state what weapons/items/tactics a bot prefers, how vengeful they are, and a few other things.  their movement is still dictated along paths that are set  when the .AAS file is compiled with the map, and the .AAS file is universal for all bots on a given map.  afaik, there's no way to rewrite an AAS filethat won't just make the bots walk down a different precompiled path.

As for the resurgence monsters, you'd have to ask one of the coders how they work, but IMHO they work pretty well  Slipgate - Laugh
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #16 on: 2003-01-29, 22:22 »

Maybe I can make some maps with really good bot paths. Right now I'm having trouble with gtkradiant. I can get a map to compile but I can't get it to start up and run. At the end of the compile, it always says connection closed.
pepe

Shambler

« Reply #17 on: 2003-01-30, 18:04 »

all the models looked like yours you say?

and you didnt have force models set to 1?
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #18 on: 2003-01-30, 18:14 »

My God... I CANNOT help but off topic here.

Sweet avatar, pepe! rofl, that's awesome.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2003-02-01, 06:40 »

Bots appearing with the wrong weapons is a COM_HUNKMEGS problem.  Check your com_hunkmegs on the command line when you first start at Gen.  If it's lower than 96 you need to increase it.  128 is recommended, 96 SHOULD work ok.  You'll need to make a shortcut to Generations with the following:

"[mypath]\quake3.exe" +set fs_game generations +set com_hunkmegs 128

where [mypath] is wherever you have Q3 installed.  You can also manually edit your q3config.cfg file in your generations folder as well as your baseq3 folder and change the value there.  It is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to change com_hunkmegs in baseq3 if you're using the MODS menu in Quake 3 to load Generations.  We recommend the shortcut.

Regarding bots, you add bots into Gen 99b like this:

/addbot botname class skill

example:

/addbot Phobos Doom 3

That works for a FFA to just toss a bot into play.  For teamplay, or with a funny name, like this:

/addbot - botname class skill team msecdelay altname

/addbot Phobos Doom 3 Red 0 Faceplate

That will load a skill 3 DOOM class bot on the red team with 0 ping named "Faceplate" using the "Phobos" AI file.  It *IS* possible to load a "sarge" bot as a Slipgater, and you'll see him using the Ranger model in 99b at this point.  PLEASE note that bots will load differently in the upcoming 99c.  Specifying a class for the bot to join will no longer be necessary, and loading bots into a different class than what they belong to will not be possible at that point either, but for now this is how you do it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: