2024-03-29, 00:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scale  (Read 8619 times)
Devlar

Makron

« on: 2003-11-03, 06:35 »

http://devlaronline.topcities.com/scale.htm

Is the Quake 3 one within the proper tolerances for scale, or is it too big?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-03, 08:16 »

It's close enough for me, but maybe just a tad high.

Remember, it doesn't have to be 100% exact. Slipgate - Wink
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-03, 15:52 »

<---Perfectionist
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-03, 19:52 »

that endcap on the lights where it rainbows kinda annoys me, but the scale is very very close otherwise, I MIGHT suggest bringing the ceiling down a little, but I'm one of those silly people who likes the claustrophobic doom levels.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-03, 20:38 »

Looks fine to me! Slipgate - Smile then again q3 maps should be a little bit larger than doom/q1 maps.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-04, 05:45 »

If the reviews of my other maps have taught me, smaller the better Slipgate - Grin

As for the electrical wire, I like it Slipgate - Grin, did I mention that the floor flickers?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-04, 16:29 »

if that's wire, what's the plasma-blue stuff? Slipgate - Tongue

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-04, 20:00 »

Wire -> Electricity Slipgate - Grin
crazy.joe

Ogre

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-04, 20:02 »

That's from Final DooM, isn't it?
crazy.joe

Ogre

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-04, 20:09 »

As for the scaling, I'm pretty sure the high-res textures are the same size on both engines so there's 4 large rectangle panels and 1 midget one. You're dead on my friend. Good Job.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-05, 04:09 »

Its Canyon from the Master Levels
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-05, 04:28 »

Remember that Doom's vertical aspect ratio was a bit different from Quake and onward, and the same with Q3's player view height.  Scale looks good to me.  I agree with Devlar on levels being "too big".  Big maps make for lots of wandering.  While I don't mind wandering, many other players have shorter attention spans so unless you have a 16 player Deathmatch the level needs to be tight enough so that people encounter one another at least a FEW times.

Personally I dislike remake maps that are "scaled up".  Doom's rockets flew at 59.65909 mph (calculated from game units/second).  Doom's players could run nearly that fast.  Why did smaller maps work for deathmatch in Doom if he could run so fast?  Simple:  They were flat, and Doom was engineered for it.  Not that flat = good, but I look at the reviews on LvL and it seems to me that they're more interested in fancy architecture than gameplay flow.  Edge was no looker in Q2, but why was it played over and over and over?  Why was Entryway played so much in Doom 2?  Think about the formula, and in the case of a remake, ask yourself "If it was good then why should I change it now?  What is the point of a remake as opposed to a reMIX?"  I think Devlar has the right idea here.  Keep it up.  Thumbs up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #12 on: 2003-11-05, 06:11 »

Would this be a good time to mention the fact that this map is quite large? I was actually refering to the smaller the scale the better, since I've been accused *cough* *cough* of massively overblowing the proportions in my maps. I mean this one is as large as my last one at least, but the connectivity is good which is why its worth doing, I'm far more concerned with keeping the general feeling of the map, and keeping the scale down than anything else.

The reason I did Sever the Sphinx was that with 4 people you'll still run into each other relatively easily

The reason I'm doing this one is more or less for the same reason, it too has a wide open space, but not in the same way as Sever, the connectivity is far better

If anyone wants to try the original
http://doomfactory.free.fr/wads_masterslevels.rar
Its called Canyon.wad
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2003-11-05, 19:27 »

I certainly should have been clearer when I posted my last comments.  Now that I re-read what I posted I think my thoughts were wandering a bit...  I'm not against large maps that are designed to be large in the first place, I happen to like them.  I'm probably one of the few Q2 players who likes Lost Hallways as his favorite Q2 map.  It's when a small map gets scaled up to twice it's original size during a remake that I cringe.  Big maps scaled up are even more horrid.  That's why I like Sever the Sphinx so much, besides the Egyptian theme.  It FEELS right.  It has that nice, tight Doom level feel to it.  Slipgate - Smile  

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #14 on: 2003-11-05, 21:00 »

In that case you won't be disappointed, well assuming you think the room posted is accurate the rest of the map is easy to scale in relation to it

It's when a small map gets scaled up to twice it's original size during a remake that I cringe. Big maps scaled up are even more horrid.

Remind me never to show you my Q1E1M1 remake then, ahahaha
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: