2024-04-27, 20:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum and Webpage updates! (Speak up, I'm listening...)  (Read 6652 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2003-11-07, 00:33 »

As most of you regulars know, I've been working on a new WHS site for quite some time now. I'm nearly done (everything works that should work, just settling layout quirks and color schemes), but before I finalize anything, I want your imput.

The new page will have many forum (and other) functions integrated into the layout, including:
Login/Logout
Who's Online
Recent posts
News updates directly from the news forums
Randomized Pic of the Day (from the Gallery)
Polls

Also, there's going to be a bit of a restructure of the forums. The existing forums (off topic, CC, mod-related, etc) will still be around, but I will be adding a few more. Here's a proposed layout:

News Forums
-WH Main
-Gen
-Sliders
-Blast

Off topic forums
-The Off Topic Forum
-Controversy Corner
-Games, Books, and Movies

Modifications
-Gen
-Sliders
-Blast
-BFG10k
-Internal/Team Only

Editing Related
-Laced Neptune
-Bug Reports
-Beta Board

If there's anything you want to see that's not listed, either for the page or the forums, let me know. I'll be throwing up a demo of the page for everyone to critique as soon as I get imput back from the team.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-07, 00:33 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-07, 01:05 »

Looks good to me....so...were testers added to the webpage finally?
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-07, 01:15 »

They will be. I'm still doing the layout. I'll fill in the blanks when that's done.
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-07, 06:00 »

I assume the forums themselves are not changing? (i.e. the code)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-07, 06:10 »

I would recommend that "news" forums be "Lord of the Arena" or better for posting priveleges on since they're actually updating the web content.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-07, 06:12 »

Oob: Same forums. Just organized differently. And a lot of the content of the forums will be duplicated on the main page.

This servers two purposes: Adds dynamic, ever-changing content to the main page, which will attract and keep more people, and it will encourage more people to register and sign up for our forums, which will build our fanbase.

Pho: That's the way the existing news forum is already. Only the 'lords' can post a new topic, same with the new news forums when I add them. Anyone can reply, however, and it'll add to the number of comments shown under each news post.
« Last Edit: 2003-11-07, 06:14 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-11-07, 06:15 »

Well, if the news posts update the main webpage I'd rather not have it turn into a chat session.  We do need to maintain SOME control over the web content.  Can replies be kept off the main page but still show on the forum itself?

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-11-07, 07:07 »

I'm with pho on that one, the last thing we need is silly spam covering the main page.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-07, 07:09 »

Pho: you have access to the test page. Now tell me, are replies showing up on the page? Nope. There's a little link at the bottom of each post. It says '"Comments: # :: View All Comments" or something similar. Every reply just adds to the #.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-07, 08:31 »

Quote from: ConfusedUs
Pho: you have access to the test page.
Emphasis on "test" here.  Hey, I've only been paying attention to the color scheme and overall layout so far.  You never said the linked content setup was final!  :o  

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-07, 21:34 »

looks good to me,  new whs site oyeah Slipgate - Smile
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2003-11-10, 05:40 »

So no requests or wish lists?

Oh My F'ing Gawd

Wow, I was expecting to have to put up a forum poll with all the 'I wants' on it, to see which ones were wanted most. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2003-11-10, 05:41 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: