2024-03-28, 19:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Gamecube Game(s)? (For those who got it...)  (Read 10850 times)
Footman

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« on: 2003-12-03, 03:56 »

Definately Metroid Prime, followed closely by Sonic Adventure DX, Super Smash bros Melee, and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-03, 04:53 »

I owned one for a very short time, then figured out it was a waste of money and pawned it.  I enjoyed Smash Brothers Melee, though.  

Recently at work(Sam Goody) we got a demo disc with Mario Kart: Double Dash.  That game owns.  I'd give it a shot.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-03, 04:54 by MantiCore » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-03, 05:06 »

Super Smash Brothers

Why? Because Metriod Prime doesn't have the same replay value and I don't have anything else.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-03, 22:23 »

Metroid Prime and SMB melee Soul calibur 2. that's it the rest of the games really aint that good..for me GC is a BIG dissapointment..
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-03, 22:29 »

naw man, GC rules for multiplayer fun at the office..

SSBM, Mario Kart, Kirby's Air Ride, F-zero, etc etc

all fun 4-player games for the office Slipgate - Smile
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-04, 08:08 »

I revised this post after typing the tremendously long posts below.
While Metroid Prime is extremely good, Double Dash is liquid crack.  Therefore, it is my favorite.  Wind Waker pulls in at third.

I need to check out Beyond Good and Evil though.  It seems like my kind of game. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-12-05, 00:01 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-04, 08:24 »

Monkey Ball :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-04, 19:09 »

some pretty cool games are comin out for GC and X-Box..i dunno which i should get next..im kinda stuck with a ps2 right now..have been..are GC/Xbox good consoles?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-04, 22:03 »

VIEW-ti-ful JOE!.. Slipgate - Laugh

Mario Kart, Fzero, Zelda, Metroid, Soul Calibur 2, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Starfox, SSBM, CvsSNK2.

As for GC vs Xbox, the only game on xbox I want that I can't get otherwise, is panzer dragoon.. May MS burn under the ashes of a thousand Athlon Tbirds for that..

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-04, 22:16 »

Quote from: OmEgA-X
some pretty cool games are comin out for GC and X-Box..i dunno which i should get next..im kinda stuck with a ps2 right now..have been..are GC/Xbox good consoles?
Hmm... well I can only provide my opinion here so take it with a grain of salt if you disagree.

X-Box to me, is a great console with a lot of promise.  Unfortunately, that promise hasn't come true for me yet.  I've read that the X-Box is one of the top requested items for the Christmas season; I just can't understand it though.  Where are the good games that are making people want one?

To me, I can only think of 3 games that are worth purchasing: Jet Set Radio Future, Toejam & Earl III, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.  (Perhaps a rental for T&J 3 if you're not a fan of the series. Slipgate - Smile)

Halo is quite popular, but I never cared for it much.  It is also available for the PC now and its sequel is on the horizon.  I leave this choice up to you.  The X-Box game is (finally) cheaper than the PC version and still is quite popular using the X-Box Live service or alternatively, Gamespy's X-Box tunnel.

SW: KotOR is also available for the PC as well.  For this, I say purchase whichever version is more convenient for you.  The PC adds some new content, but the X-Box version already has an enormous amount of content for you.

There is one other game that's currently out that I'd like to list, Shenmue 2.  I can't say much about this game as I have never played the series.  I've heard that the dialogue is comically bad, but the gameplay itself is extremely engaging and allows the player a great deal of freedom.  Which reminds me, I need to rent it...

Added:  Angst reminded me of the other popular series Sega produces... Panzer Dragoon.  I haven't played that game either.  Need to rent it.

Added yet again:  Godzilla: Destroy all Monsters Melee.  If you like kaiju, this game's for you.

There are also the multi-console games.  More often than not the X-Box and the GC version are superior to the PS2 version.  I'm not trying to mock the PS2.  It's just capability wise, the PS2 is not up to par as it's an older machine.  Same goes with the multi-platform games as well. You might prefer the PC version simply for its power or if you're have a problem with console FPS games. Slipgate - Wink

As far as future titles go...

I'm interested in an RPG called Fable.  From what I've heard, Fable is an RPG that features an immense amount of detail on character developement and consequences for the player's actions.  This title is however coming out for the PC as well.

I'm also a great fan of Rareware and I can't wait for the remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day to be released for the X-Box as well as their future titles.

That's about it though, unless I can think of any more.

So the X-Box is a great system but not for the cost or even practicality at the moment.  It's more for the promise of MS to fully exploit the capabilities of the X-Box as well as secure quality 3rd party developers or perhaps encourage (note advanced cash payments,) more developers to get on the bandwagon.  I'd also like to see MS venture out and break away from the unfortunate branding that it has as an American console.  Namely, that all of the games that come out for it are violence-orientated and/or sports games.  To give you an idea of just how poor I think the game variety of the X-Box is, I watch DVDs more often than I play games on my X-Box.  That's really bad...

Added:  This is somewhat of an insult, but to me, Sega, Rareware, and Bioware are the only promise the X-Box has right now.

I'm going to split my post in two just in case there are issues with it being displayed on a single page.  My thoughts on the Gamecube will begin in the next post.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-04, 23:41 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-04, 23:38 »

Quote from: OmEgA-X
Ok now a chance for the Gamecube to step up to the plate...

First off I just want to say that Nintendo is notoriously bad at releasing hardware without any support (first party and third party,) at first.  However, Nintendo, for me at least, has always held through with their promises.  Right now is a prime example of this.  Casting the connectivity with the GBA aside, I'll delve into my opinions on the Gamecube.

First off the games that are worth buying are, without a doubt, primarily made by Nintendo.  This does not change the fact that they are indeed good games.  Since I am (slightly) biased, I'll only list the cream of the crop.  They are: Metroid Prime, Super Smash Brothers Melee, and Mario Kart: Double-Dash!!.

Ok so looking at this list, you can see that the GC actually ties with the X-Box.  I'll even dock Metroid Prime since some may feel that I docked Halo unfairly.  So now the X-Box is in the lead by one quality game.  What about the GC titles that are good, but not great?

These games are good, but they are not the absolute best of what the GC has to offer.  (This is an area where I feel the X-Box needs to greatly improve upon.  Just for more extraneous information, the PS2 reigns king in this area. Slipgate - Smile)  Ok so on with the list... They are: Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 1, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2, and Viewtiful Joe.  Honorable mentions go to:  Animal Crossing, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, and Wario World.  This list does not include the ports of the Sonic games, the Legend of Zelda games, or the Resident Evil games.

My rankings are somewhat questionable, even to me, but I'm trying to gauge the game's popularity by various opinions I have heard.  Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker are very good sequels to their predecessors, but I've heard many say that it's really nothing new.  Hence they're good, but not great.

While I have a good idea of what the gameplay is like in Resident Evil 0 and 1, I'm not a fan of the series and I haven't played those two much as a result.  However, I've heard of many people who have bought the Gamecube soley for Resident Evil 0.  Since I really don't want to rank something as the cream of the crop if I haven't played them, I'm going to say that they're good but not great.

I've played very little, but Monkey + Ball = goodness.  Very replayable stuff here.

Viewtiful Joe kicks ass, but it is insanely hard.  Some may be off-put by this.  (I'm not however.)  I've also heard people criticize the game soley for its looks and also for the fact that you can't skip past the cinema sequences.  (I don't agree with them at all of course. Slipgate - Smile  Gauging none-the-less.)

Animal Crossing is a game that has an amazing amount of content.  It's just begging for an online counter-part.  It unfortunately... lacks any sort of depth other than collecting rare items and viewing special events.  (Nintendo needs to take a page from Natsume with their Harvest Moon series in my opinion.)

Godzilla... is well, Godzilla.  If you don't like this sort of thing then you probably won't care for the game much.  As far as Godzilla games go though, this one is the best.  It's quite fun to play.  (Ack... I just realized something.  I really shouldn't have included this game as the X-Box later received a version.  Go for the X-Box version if you want/have one and like Godzilla.)

Wario World is the first time Wario has ever graced the semi-big screen.  In short, Wario World is a good platformer.  It's fairly easy throughout except for some excruciatingly hard mini-games sparsely thrown in the game here and there.  (Treasure could have fleshed out Wario more as well.  Seriously... the manual for the game has more personality than Wario does in-game.  I wouldn't mind if this were Mario, but Wario has a distinct personality.)  So I slapped on an honorable mention tag.  Rent it, play it, and perhaps buy it.  Up to you really...

Two other games worth mentioning that I haven't played yet are Kirby's Air Ride and Billy Hatcher.  I've heard good things about both.

Alright... so now on to the future.  Future games include:  1080 Avalanche, Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles, Harvest Moon: Insert correct sub-title, Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords, some variation of The Four Swords called Tetra's something, and a new Starfox game.

Since I'm tiring of typing this post, I'll skip most of my thoughts on each game.  All look promising except the new Legend of Zelda games.  Unless they offer significant new content and improvements over the GBA counterpart of Four Swords, I don't think I'll be spending 50 dollars on them.

So while Nintendo only has Sega, Capcom, and Square-Enix developing quality software for the GC, Nintendo has always been able to deliver quality games for their systems.  And with the $99 price tag, I think the GC lives up to its promises.

Now if they could just support the E-Reader for the GBA more  <_<   I wish Nintendo would stop being such hard-asses about closed developement.  It really does hurt them more than it helps.

Anyway... there you have it. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2003-12-04, 23:52 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-05, 18:43 »

wow..i didnt expect 2 large posts about it :ph34r:

but it helps! thanx a lot kain!  Thumbs up!
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-05, 22:40 »

Hmm, not a Beat 'em up  fan Kain? I see no SC2 on either of your XB or GCN reviews.
For me, SC2 ranks up there with SSB:M, Mario Kart:DD and FZero GX.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-06, 00:55 »

Quote from: Daedalus
Hmm, not a Beat 'em up  fan Kain? I see no SC2 on either of your XB or GCN reviews.
For me, SC2 ranks up there with SSB:M, Mario Kart:DD and FZero GX.
I am actually a big fighting game fan.  However, SC2 is a multi-console game and both the X-Box and the GC versions are very good so that's why I didn't list them.  There are a few multi-console games that are really excellent that I wanted to list, but that I didn't really feel any version had a significant advantage over the other.  I was also trying to list console-exclusive games.  Saying that, I apologize again for including Godzilla.  I always forget that an X-Box version exists.  It came out about 4 - 5 months after the GC version was released.  I should have listed F-Zero GX, but I forgot. Slipgate - Tongue  I need to rent that game too.  Thinking about it even more, I forgot about the new Sonic game coming out for Gamecube.  I believe it's called Sonic Heroes.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-06, 00:58 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Rubilacxe

Shambler

« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-07, 17:04 »

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Metriod Prime (but after you beat it, its really no fun anymore), Luigi's Mansion (c'mon!  what about that one?  I loved that game, if anyone else didn't hehe)

I'm also surprized I didn't see Eternal Darkness mentioned yet.  That was a great game.  Great story, great game play.  Not too much replay value.  Playing different colored Essences doesn't leave too much for the imagination.  But its still a very fun game.

-JL
Parapsyche

Spectre

« Reply #15 on: 2003-12-22, 21:55 »

I really like the gamecube.  Metroid Prime keeps me entertained on its own.  I've seriously played through it about 20 times now, and I'm still not bored of it, but that's probably because I'm a huge Metroid fan.  Zelda was good too, but the sailing got annoying after a while.

Me, at first: COOL!  SAILING!

Me afterwards: ugh, sailing...

Mario Kart is amazing.  Crazy fun multiplayer, good gameplay, and lots of stuff to unlock.  And if you want a REALLY challenging racing game, go for F-Zero GX.  I've had it since about June, and I still haven't unlocked everything (just track ghosts are left).  F-zero is definitely an excellent accomplishment.

Smash Brothers Melee...now that's the game you can start with, and it'll keep you going for so long.  Insanely fun, and there's tons of stuff to do, reocrds to break, trophies to collect, etc.

Some other games I recommend you try are Defender, Soul Calibur 2, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Reqium (AMAZING game), Resident Evil 0, REmake, Red Faction 2 (This game has AWESOME multiplayer), and the recently-released XIII...there are a lot of good games out there for the Cube, and I'm glad I bought one.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #16 on: 2003-12-23, 03:13 »

Quote from: Parapsyche
REmake
LOL  Slipgate - Laugh

That's great... I've never seen it displayed that way before  Thumbs up!
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2003-12-23, 19:23 »

Quote from: Rubilacxe
Luigi's Mansion (c'mon!  what about that one?  I loved that game, if anyone else didn't hehe)
Dahhaha, that game rocked, but it's not a 'favorite', per say.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-12-24, 19:05 »

SPORKING pc redfaction 2 doesn't have multi. And yes, I said "sporking."

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: