2024-03-29, 06:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom Levels.. (Classic Doom Levels?)  (Read 25034 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #20 on: 2003-12-18, 03:38 »

Quote from: Devlar
How can it be considered a conversion when it goes from 2.5D to 3D??

I find its much easier just to use a box with the map of the level as a texture and trace
If you take someone else's newspaper article, and doublespace it in a different font....is it still the same article?

Trust me on this. Gen is legal, but just by a hair. We spent months doing our research on copyright issues and intellectual property.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 03:39 by ConfusedUs » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2003-12-18, 03:40 »

So am I stealing by tracing the maps I make? I mean if I released just carbon copies of the accusation of theft, but who the hell would do that? not only would it look bad, and play bad, it would be putting your name on someone else's work. I'm only an innovator not a creator
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 03:46 by Devlar » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #22 on: 2003-12-18, 03:52 »

So am I stealing by tracing the maps I make? I mean if I released just carbon copies of the accusation of theft, but who the hell would do that? not only would it look bad, and play bad, it would be putting your name on someone else's work. I'm only an innovator not a creator
This is the grey area. Id Software has stated that any map produced 100% by hand, even if it copies the layout of an existing map, is fine. This is how we were able to bring you the remakes in the Mappacks.
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #23 on: 2003-12-18, 03:53 »

Honestly, I can see where a converter would be used to get the scale correct, but other than that, I see no honor in them really
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #24 on: 2003-12-18, 03:55 »

Phew, alright Slipgate - Grin

As for Scale, after experimenting 500000 times I figured out the key if your tracing from a box, its in one of the Laced Neptune threads
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2003-12-18, 06:08 »

Regarding a mechanical conversion of the vertex layout for a map, how does that differ from me copying an existing MD2 model and converting it into an md3?  Models are nothing BUT coordinates, after all.  In fact, anything can be broken down into nothing but a series of numbers.  Even books can be digitally stored and copied.  Same with music.  It's all numbers, right?  The problem is how did you arrive at those numbers?  Did you just cut+n+paste, or did you get there on your own?  We at Wirehead like to hedge our bets and go out of our way to NOT step into Id's sacred territory.  It is that respect for their copyrights and intellectual property that has kept us in the good with them.  That relationship is THE MOST important part of anything Generations related, and neither I nor anyone else on the team will condone tempting fate here.

Devlar:  In your case, I think what you are doing is quite alright since you're doing this manually.  That's not much different from me looking at the Doom weapons to get their geometry and making new models, and the same with the Q2 models for getting general scale and layout.  You're still creating all the brushes, surfaces, etc, on your own and just using a 2d screenshot as an overhead layout guide.  You've not really converted anything.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2003-12-18, 21:26 »

Hehe well doing one "large" map with all the 9 ep1 maps is just not realistic..first of all the map whould be LARGE speakin MB's here and of course you have to load this map into your puters memory.. don't think it whould work that great.

btw i have gone thru most of the doom lvls try to find any suitable lvl for remaking but most of them whouldnt work good as an Deathmatch map, but as an resurgence maps..that's another thing Slipgate - Smile
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #27 on: 2003-12-18, 21:32 »

final doom plutonia has a  deathmatch map  map 30
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #28 on: 2003-12-18, 21:39 »

Ok GK but that's plutonia and not a ID map.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #29 on: 2003-12-18, 23:00 »

its never good for you is it  :angry:
J/K
ROADKILL

Spectre

« Reply #30 on: 2003-12-19, 00:59 »

i always get permission from the original author before i do any remakes.
they take to much time and effort to do otherwise.
sewer64q3 was my first map and I wanted to do one that i was familiar with.
at the time there weren't any good sewer textures out there for q3 so i used
std q3 textures and some other ones made by q3 mappers that were available.
imitation is the purest form of flatery.
no body i've asked yet has said no to remaking there maps for q3.
and yes the scale is different for q3 than it is for q2 and doom.
 Slipgate - Roll Eyes
McDeth

Makron

Wildly Inappropriate

« Reply #31 on: 2003-12-19, 22:51 »

If I may....

Is it possible to do an episode that may look like this...

Wolf M1E1, DooM M2E2, Quake M3E1, Quake II M4, Wolf M5E1, DooM M6E1...etc...

I think if you give it a mix like this it would be very fasinating. Maybe even implementing something in the game that randomizes it so you don't know what you are getting right off the bat.  ( an element of surprise). Added to this, maybe these levels should increase in difficulty too (Entryway < difficulty < The Big Gun).

Hrm...I hope you kids can make sense of what I am trying to say here...Slipgate - Tongue

Beer? I'm down.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #32 on: 2003-12-22, 09:44 »

I still have Wolf E1M1, trust me when I say, no one wants to play a flat level in Quake 3, it just doesn't work, and i doubt it would work in SP either
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #33 on: 2003-12-22, 14:25 »

I still have Wolf E1M1, trust me when I say, no one wants to play a flat level in Quake 3, it just doesn't work, and i doubt it would work in SP either
It'd be nice to try such a conversion though.  As long as the ceiling height was enough to let Earth use their mortor with no penelties, it'd be cool.
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #34 on: 2003-12-22, 19:51 »

But it's no longer E1L1 if you raise the ceiling height above eight feet.
Kirby

« Reply #35 on: 2003-12-22, 20:09 »

I AM AN ABSOLUTE RETARDED IDIOT
« Last Edit: 2003-12-23, 01:42 by Kirby » Logged
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #36 on: 2003-12-22, 20:09 »

yes.. and so would the ability to look up and down
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #37 on: 2003-12-22, 22:37 »

lets make doom back so that he cant look up and down again , and orget about jumping and ducking .
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #38 on: 2003-12-22, 22:44 »

Quote from: Kirby
Quote from: Woolie Wool
But it's no longer E1L1 if you raise the ceiling height above eight feet.
You have a good point there Woolie.   Raising the ceiling height too much would *destroy* the DooM-ish feeling to the level.
We were talking about WOLFENSTEIN levels for the Earth class. Please read all of the thread before you post.

lets make doom back so that he cant look up and down again , and orget about jumping and ducking .

And while we're at it, let's let him run fast enough to outrun freeway traffic again and allow him to wallrun and...

The different generations should be fairly close to the originals, but they should be able to compete against any other generation in any level on an equal basis. That's taking it a bit too far.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-22, 22:50 by Woolie Wool » Logged
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #39 on: 2003-12-23, 00:39 »

Sarcasm eludes you woolie  Slipgate - Wink

I'd like to see an rtcw-like map for Earth, or at least the structure of one like it. The textures that a mapper would use for such a thing is up to the mapper Slipgate - Smile
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: