2024-05-01, 23:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New DM flag?  (Read 13978 times)
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« on: 2003-12-18, 03:37 »

Instagib Q2 Rail only with a fast hook was a big part of my Q2 days. I think it should be part of the Generations days.

Do you?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-18, 03:51 »

You left out the "Hell, no!" option.  Slipgate - Tongue
Seriously, what's the point of having Instagib Gen?  Just go play instagib Q3.
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-18, 03:59 »

Seriously, what's the point of having Instagib Gen? Just go play instagib Q3.

Seriously, what's the point of playing Gen? Just go play the original.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-18, 04:24 »

Well?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-18, 04:43 »

because q3 instagib sux Slipgate - Tongue

LITHIUM!
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-18, 04:55 »

Even though I do agree with this, I think it's unfair to the Rocket Arena fans Slipgate - Tongue
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-18, 05:29 »

RA3 sucks too Slipgate - Tongue

RA2 FO REELZ
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-18, 06:11 »

I think this came up in one of the "gameplay modes" discussions a long while back.  My only question is why can't this be part of a larger gameplay mode subset, and be cross-class?  We'd need to make a minor adjustment to certain "key" weapons for each class, but the end result would be about the same.  Otherwise, I'm all for it.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-18, 06:57 »

My only question is why can't this be part of a larger gameplay mode subset, and be cross-class?  We'd need to make a minor adjustment to certain "key" weapons for each class, but the end result would be about the same...

The Slippy rocket flies damn near fast enough to be a sufficient insta-gib weapon. lol  I'm all for the idea of cross-class instagib.

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-18, 15:36 »

OK, I'll say why.
Generations is a class based DM.
Classes are built around (basically) 3 things:
Weapon sets
health/armor tweaks.
movement

Instagib throws out any weapon considerations as they are all instagib - so your choice to play won't be based on that.
Instagib throws out any health/armor considerations.
That leaves movement as the only thing that sets Gen apart from any other mod.
Without the bennefits offered by the now defunct classes, who in their right mind would play Strogg, Arena, or Earth?  There are no advantages to playing these classes.
This leaves Slipgate and Doom.
Slipgate might get picked because of the air control, but that pales next to...
Doom class, the default fastest class with no footsteps.
So.
What a match would really boil down to would be Doom instagib.  If this was going to be the end result of Gen, you folks did alot of work for nothing.
It is, of course, your game and you can do what you want with it, but you put up a poll and asked for opinions and you got it.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-18, 16:10 »

:offtopic
I noticed that in 99d ALL classes have footsteps... even Doom. I tested it numerous times... so that statement of yours there is false. Slipgate - Smile

In all previous versions I believe Slipgate and Doom both didn't have footstep sounds.

Ok, now back on topic... what would Doom's instagib weapon be really? The other classes all seem to have their weapons ready and accounted for.. with three of the five classes having sniper weapons, and one having rockets...

Again, rockets might be the best choice for Doom... he'd have to get fairly close to his target since they fly so slow, making the snipers have to make their shots count.

I dunno, I don't feel that instagib would fit too well in Gen, but tis just the opinion of a hellspawn. *bow*
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 16:13 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-18, 16:48 »

Quote from: ~SpAwN~
I noticed that in 99d ALL classes have footsteps... even Doom. I tested it numerous times... so that statement of yours there is false. Slipgate - Smile

In all previous versions I believe Slipgate and Doom both didn't have footstep sounds.

Hmm, didn't notice about the footsteps thing ...  
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-18, 16:53 »

I think what ward is trying to say is, this game mode would set everyone strogg with an instagib rail.

I'm all for some sort of uni-class instagib mode. ie:
Earth Rifle
Doom Rocket(direct hit)
Slipgate Rocket(direct hit)
Strogg Railgun
Arena Railgun

I think Doom and Slipgate would be amusing. Still implement knockback, but no splash damage.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-18, 17:06 »

Instagib railgun fights originated in Q2 - I wouldn't support making a multiclass instagib game for Gen. it wouldn't be as fun Slipgate - Tongue

Mine's Bigger!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-18, 17:30 »

IMO, instagib was as mindless as it was repetitively boring. We already have weapon restriction code, as well as class restriction code, right? So setting up a strogg only, railgun only, fully loaded server shouldn't be that hard. I wouldn't want to join that sucker, though :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2003-12-18, 17:34 »

Don't forget the laser grapple!!
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2003-12-18, 18:34 »

Quote from: ~SpAwN~

:offtopic reply Slipgate - Wink
We gave doom/skippy footsteps in 99d. It's a fairly small change, and gives the slower classes a small chance to hear Doom and Slipgate coming and prepare for it.

Before the change, strogg/earth were getting creamed by surprise attacks, with no chance to escape. Now an alert player will have a split second in which to move/fire.
[WaRdeN]

Team Member
Archvile

« Reply #17 on: 2003-12-18, 20:06 »

Well as for Q2 Instagib rail with a hook being mindless and repetative, dont play it.

I find DM to be mindless and repetative, there are very few if no CTF games that get played with gen, and what do you have in gen besides CTF and DM? Nothing. It wouldn't be difficult to add, perhaps even make it a new g_gametype who knows.

As for other classes having instagib weapons? That wasn't in the scope of this poll.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2003-12-19, 01:51 »

While we're at it, let's get a Rocket Arena gamemode Slipgate - Laugh
(with permission from crt to use that name for the game  :blink: )
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #19 on: 2003-12-19, 08:57 »

There is tourny which isnt used.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: