2024-04-19, 12:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The GBA rules  (Read 7245 times)
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« on: 2003-12-18, 05:25 »

Anyone else own it? With an afterburner installed, it is undoubtedly the best handheld on the market, surpassing even the GBA SP.

And to give this thread a bit of a theme as it were, I'll go ahead and list the games I own:

Mario Kart: Super Circuit - One of the best multiplayer games for the GBA
Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3 - It's SMB3 for the GBA, what more could you want?
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - I am honestly suprised by how well this works on the GBA
Metroid Fusion - See SMA4 comment
Duke Nukem
Doom
Sonic Advance 2

Furthermore, I am in need of a good game that I can just load and play for short periods, namely a puzzle game would be ideal. Any suggestions?
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-18, 05:32 »

The GameBoy Advanced has always looked like a total rip-off of the Nomad to me... However, I thought the SP's were very stylish, and even wanted one. I have never really desired a Nintendo product until I saw the SP and GameCube. However, I do not own either, as I have more important and productive things to blow my cash on Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 05:34 by dev/null » Logged
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-18, 06:13 »

Quote from: OoBeY
Furthermore, I am in need of a good game that I can just load and play for short periods, namely a puzzle game would be ideal. Any suggestions?
Wario Ware my friend.  Wario Ware.  It almost beats out Tetris for that title.

In general:
GBA is teh omnibus.  (That's a good thing. Slipgate - Tongue)

I was thinking about getting an Afterburner kit, but for the combined cost of the kit and a soddering iron, I decided I was better off trading in my GBA for an SP.  (I was also somewhat apprehensive as I've never soddered before. Slipgate - Smile)  The SP almost bests the GBA with an Afterburner installed, but its problem is the "crab claw" you get from playing on it.  To be honest, I recommend the Gameboy Player if you can afford it.  Sure it kills portability, but it is quite sweet to play on the big screen, especially with GBA games supporting rumbling features now.  (It's really the only way I play FFTa. Slipgate - Smile  I also played through a majority of Super Mario Advance 4 that way.)

For those of you wanting a price break-down...

GB Player: 50 USD (I believe the GB Player is non-region specific.  I'll have to double-check.)
GBA w/ E-Reader: 50 USD (The GBA is non-region specific.  So too is the E-Reader I believe, but Europe isn't getting the E-Reader so most games there have the E-Reader support nixed.)
GBA SP: 100 USD (Region-free.)
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 06:18 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-18, 06:35 »

Yeah, "crab claw" was the main issue that made me get the afterburner instead of the SP. I already had the sodering iron. Also, I heard the SP had something funky going on with the headphone jack? I just (as in 5 minutes ago) ordered a rechargeable battery back for my GBA (Only $8 too!), so now my GBA does everything that the SP does.

As for wario ware, I asked for that for christmas. Let's hope I get it, then. Slipgate - Smile
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-18, 07:43 »

Also, I heard the SP had something funky going on with the headphone jack?
Er... oh yeah.  For those that don't know, the GBA SP does not have a headphone jack.  You'll have to buy an adapter that'll convert the recharge port (pretty sure it's the recharge port,) into a head phone jack.  It's around 5 or 10 USD I think.  The one thing that is nice about the SP is that the speaker is centered rather than off to the side.  It also, in my opinion, sounds much sharper and clearer than the normal GBA.
« Last Edit: 2003-12-18, 07:47 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-18, 15:49 »

Did Wolfenstein (classic) ever come out for the GB?
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-18, 17:35 »

Tetris. woot.
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-18, 20:19 »

I have wolf3d on my texas ti-83+ calculator  Thumbs up!
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-18, 23:04 »

Quote from: dna
Yes it did.  It's pretty much a straight port of the PC version and not the SNES version.  That's good and that's bad in my opinion.  Good in the fact that nothing is censored and the dogs are actually dogs.  Bad in the fact that the SNES version was supposedly an amalgamation of the PC and the Mac version, (meaning it had the flame thrower and the bazooka as well as slightly updated graphics.)  I was also hoping for the developement team to throw in multi-player, but that was just wishful thinking.  I'd only get it if you're a big fan of Wolf-3D or can't run it on your PC because of its age.  Slipgate - Wink

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-18, 23:12 »

Quote from: Kain-Xavier
Yes it did.  It's pretty much a straight port of the PC version and not the SNES version.  That's good and that's bad in my opinion.  Good in the fact that nothing is censored and the dogs are actually dogs.  Bad in the fact that the SNES version was supposedly an amalgamation of the PC and the Mac version, (meaning it had the flame thrower and the bazooka as well as slightly updated graphics.)  I was also hoping for the developement team to throw in multi-player, but that was just wishful thinking.  I'd only get it if you're a big fan of Wolf-3D or can't run it on your PC because of its age.  Slipgate - Wink
How are the controls?  Does it have actual dedicated strafe controls or is it a strafe shift key?
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-19, 19:18 »

How are the controls?  Does it have actual dedicated strafe controls or is it a strafe shift key?
Er... well I don't actually own the game nor have I played it. Slipgate - Tongue  I searched around though, and the left and right shoulder buttons are dedicated for strafing left and strafing right.  A and B are used for firing and opening doors.  I'm not quite sure how you switch weapons, but I imagine it's either bound to the button that opens doors or maybe start or select.

I also found out something that may dissuade you from purchasing it.  It has no background music what-so-ever.  I'm not sure why they stripped that out.  The overall sound quality is also poor from what I have read.

dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-19, 19:48 »

I almost Ebayed it last night for $11, but somebody sniped me in the last 5 seconds.  5 seconds man.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: