2024-04-25, 14:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Trek Captains (Who's Your Favorite?)  (Read 8220 times)
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« on: 2003-12-22, 11:05 »

Picard!  Slipgate - Laugh

Though Janeway does come in a close second
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-22, 14:40 »

Kirk was a womanizing fool.

I never watched enough DS9 to get a firm opinion on Sisco, but he didn't do much for me when I did watch.

Janeway was good, but not QUITE as good as Picard.

And Enterprise is horrible. Gene Roddenberry must be doing somersaults in his grave.

Picard though...he was awesome. Very dynamic character. A good mix of tough and caring.
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-22, 15:20 »

And here I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked Voyager.  Though I see I'm the only guy in the world who picked it as the best captain series...  B)
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-22, 17:06 »

def. picard.. but yeha.. janeway is a close second...
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-22, 17:37 »

Quote from: dna
And here I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked Voyager.  Though I see I'm the only guy in the world who picked it as the best captain series...  B)
Janeway seems to be 'a close second' by everyone who's posted so far.

Voyager was a good series, especially towards the end. Janeway really pulled through for the show. However, TNG is still #1 in my book. Perhaps if I'd seen more of DS9 this would be different. What little I DID see I really, really liked, but I was unable to watch it regularly. I at least caught 4 out of ever 5 Voyagers.
OoBeY

Hans Grosse

« Reply #5 on: 2003-12-22, 18:56 »

Picard...with Scotty coming in a close second (not a captain? say what?)
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #6 on: 2003-12-22, 19:15 »

Quote from: OoBeY
...with Scotty coming in a close second (not a captain? say what?)
He might not have been a Captain, but he did some captaining in his day.  Which, technically, makes him a "captain" (when he does it) though he does not hold the rank of Captain.  So, I say close enough.
Spock and Riker would fit the bill as well.  And I suppose Dr Crusher...  LaForge... Data... Can't forget Sulu, who actually WAS a Captain...
kind of left out a few option there dev Slipgate - Tongue
« Last Edit: 2003-12-22, 19:16 by dna » Logged
Woolie Wool

Tank Commander

« Reply #7 on: 2003-12-22, 19:53 »

Kirk all the way. He has more character than alll of the others combined.
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #8 on: 2003-12-22, 20:07 »

I'm.... sorry..... i didint..... catch..... what you said......

you'll have to..... repeat it..... for..... me......

there's... something on the wing..... some..... thing.....
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2003-12-22, 20:49 »

Course Captain Jean-Luc Picard ownz all!! Second whould be Janeway. Voyager is quite good
btw the best star trek character of them all is Data Slipgate - Wink
dev/null

Banned
Vadrigar

« Reply #10 on: 2003-12-23, 02:51 »

Quote from: dna
kind of left out a few option there dev Slipgate - Tongue
Leave me alone, I was only taking spotlight characters into account.
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2003-12-23, 07:43 »

Picard all the way with Janeway nipping at his heels.

Though either Data or Odo would have received my vote if I could have chosen them. Slipgate - Wink
« Last Edit: 2003-12-23, 07:44 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2003-12-26, 07:38 »

I detest Enterprise.  I absolutely 100% hate the show.  It's bloody revisionist, and I can't stand that.  It is also very boring, and the Vulcans are very much un-Vulcan in their mannerisms, especially the one onboard the ship.  It's like when I got a copy of the Director's Edition DVD of Star Trek:  The Motion Picture.  WHY oh WHY did they have to screw with the sound effects?  The new ships alarm sound is annoying as anything and sounds like it was dubbed in later (which it was), and seeing VGER from the outside absolutely destroyed the mystery behind the "WTF is this thing?" air the movie had.  I don't care what Robert Wise originally wanted to do, he DESTROYED one of my favorite movies by going back and changing it!.  The "Special Longer Version" isn't on DVD either, so I'm stuck with VHS.  One unhappy bird.  DO NOT screw around with the classics.  Revisionism is the surest way to destroy an otherwise good work!

Now, back on topic, best captain was Picard, of course!  He was oh-so dignified.  Not only that, he did the "diplomacy first, but I'll torpedo your ass if you really need it" bit.  Kirk was too much of a  tyrant, but then so is Shatner (ask the cast, especially James Doohan).  I do like Sisco, but I'd rank him as third with Janeway second, Kirk fourth, and Archer last.  Con:  DS9 got really good the last two seasons it was on the air.  It's a shame you didn't get to see it play out.  If you liked Babylon 5, you would have liked the direction DS9 went.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #13 on: 2003-12-26, 15:11 »

I don't think you guys have watched enough TOS episodes.  How can you call Kirk a tyrant?  He's SUPPOSED to be a tyrant.  He's the captain of the ship.  He's seeking out strange new civilizations and life forms in uncharted territories.  He can't afford to be all nicey nicey like Picard is.  And I think you'll find plenty of diplomacy in him as well.  (whether Shatner is a tyrant doesn't really matter Slipgate - Wink )  As a character, he is plenty more interesting to watch than Picard - he's much more human in his weaknesses.  Picard is like cardboard, which is strange since he's actually a pretty good actor.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #14 on: 2003-12-27, 07:26 »

I've seen every episode of the original series, probably 3 times.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: