2024-03-29, 12:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: req2dm5 Alpha (Here we go again..)  (Read 15561 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« on: 2004-02-05, 01:22 »

Well i thought id take it easy with the map creation part for awhile but..just can't stop Slipgate - Laugh
Anyways i've uploaded some screenshots if ya want to have a look: http://reboot.wireheadstudios.net/generati...5/req2dm5a7.htm

Note the map is still in early stages the lightmap is not done, so is the detailing. aslo this must be one of the hardest map to remake i've tried so far and im proud to say that i've managed to get the maplayout atlest 90% close to the original one...tho i failed at my first attempt completly Slipgate - Wink

What's left:

1. A good looking lightmap.(started)
2. A better sky shader and sky texture.
3. Beta Play testing
4. Level detailing (started)
5. need slimy textures for the sewers
6. might need other textures (more q2-ish)
7. Bot support
8. Level clips
9. Improved item layout
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #1 on: 2004-02-05, 02:25 »

Looking good Reb, nice to see yet more Strogg-battlefields.
Again, if you need a q2er's opinion, just send the bsp ;]

After you round this one up, you gonna do q2dm8? :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #2 on: 2004-02-05, 02:59 »

dood..that map owned q2..was prollie one of my favorite maps. lookin good reboot!  Thumbs up!
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #3 on: 2004-02-05, 03:42 »

Looking good, but I think you will have to do something about the sky
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-02-05, 08:58 »

My only gripe so far is the blue sky (of course) and the texturing around the rocket launcher area.  Those look placeholder-ish on the walls though, so that's probably the case.  The other thing that bugs me is the purple border on the catwalk to the RL in that shot.  Purple and Q2 just don't mix too well.  The layout is looking really good so far.  The area by the autolift to the red armor (shotgun in pic) looks spot on to the original.  Keep it up!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #5 on: 2004-02-05, 20:00 »

Tnx guys Slipgate - Smile Well the sky is just a "test sky" it will not be in the final, im still looking for a good sky so if anyone of you know a good sky please let me know!
Yea many of the things is just a "test" im not sure in which way i should go yet so don't mind the blue metal textures and other weird things Slipgate - Wink

Btw i hope to release a beta to some of you q2 players by tomorrow it depends on if i find the time to finish the lightmap but it's almost done!

Been working on this map most of the day and the map progress quite nicely! i whould upload some more screenshots but..im feeling lazy today.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #6 on: 2004-02-07, 01:34 »

I gave it a brief Q2'ers browse around, and I have to say it's The Pits all over ;]

There's a few things that I'm unhappy with atm (apart from some missing textures, mainly lights):

As illustrated above, the floor of the hallway behind the window seems a bit thin. Undoubtedly this is the same in the original q2 map, but it kind of looks bad to me. I don't mean the floor should be lowered, but the ceiling with the lights could be, so it would look a bit more sturdy.

Also, this hallway is WAY too small for proper combat. it's hard enough to squeeze through, let alone when it's raining rockets or grenades.. wouldn't like to be in there, in any case ;]

Just something that occured to me when I was getting the armor. A lot of classes have more speed & jump farther than you could in ye olde q2. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to extend this area, so it's a bit harder to jump, and forces a somewhat longer wait, like you needed in quake 2. Just my 2cts on this one :]

And last, but certainly not least, I am very much against using a jumppad as a replacement for the elevator that goes up from the red armor room. An important part of q2 gameplay consisted of jumping down (which in itself is harder to do with the risk of getting propelled up by the pad), and hopping off the elevator before it took you up, insodoing blocking the way of anyone on your tail. An elevator allows for quicker & more enjoyable gameplay in that area, imo.

There are some more hallways that are a bit cramped, mainly in the grenade launcher + megahealth area, but nothing too bad. If possible, a bit more room down there wouldn't hurt, though.
Other changes in the design/layout look good to me.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #7 on: 2004-02-08, 00:38 »

When are you releasing a public beta?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #8 on: 2004-02-08, 01:41 »

Tnx tab! this is the kind of feedback i want Slipgate - Smile

1. hmm yea maybe so..i'll test to lower the ceiling there.

2. Well i could make the hallway wider but if i do that i will reduce the lenght on the other hallways but i guess you wont even notice if i just change it by a few units however the hallway was cramped in q2..but i get your point! Slipgate - Smile

3. hmm well you already have to wait quite long for the bridge to extend to the lenght you're actually able to jump and reach the red armor i'll do some timings in q2 and see how long it takes there. however extending the lenght in that part of the map is no problem!

4. Yea it will be an elevator there i just didnt have the time to do a proper and good looking elevator i'll start to work on it tomorrw.

But tnx again tab! i'll get you something to test tomorrow perhaps Slipgate - Smile anyhow me and my friends did some test at this map at our LAN party gameplay worked pretty well!

Devlar: Well i just have to finish somethings , but a public beta aint far! perhaps sometime during next week.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #9 on: 2004-02-17, 22:11 »

New screenshots:
http://reboot.wireheadstudios.net/generati...5/req2dm5b4.htm
Dicion

Team Member
Makron

« Reply #10 on: 2004-02-17, 22:18 »

I never really was a big fan of this map... Mostly because I sucked on it though....

Looks Great!
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #11 on: 2004-02-18, 03:54 »

I like it so far, but two areas are nagging me.

1)  That background texture in the round part of the rocket launcher area on the wall still looks out of place.

2)  Why are there lasers instead of the big spinning rotating thing?

ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #12 on: 2004-02-18, 20:53 »

Phoenix:

1. Yea i know..still havent found a good texture.. dunno yet what i will place there.

2. Well that's because q3's func_rotate simply...sucks.. first you don't take damage if you block it's path and second you "lag" if you touch it... this really annoys me but there's nothing i can do about q3 beeing coded bad.. i guess ID thought that no one whould use anything except bounce pads in their maps...... :/
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #13 on: 2004-02-19, 02:44 »

Trigger_hurt attached to Func_rotate solves your problem
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #14 on: 2004-02-19, 12:52 »

Lookin good Reb
One question though, is that ladder gonna be as slow to climb as they are in Frag Pipe?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #15 on: 2004-02-19, 21:17 »

Devlar: Hmm that might work but it still doesnt fix the lag issue.. well i'll do some tests and see if there's a way to fix that..

Daedalus: im afraid so.. unless pho speed those ladder up..
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #16 on: 2004-02-20, 03:38 »

Reboot, test your Func_rotate without using the Devmap function, since Devmap tends to create these lag problems with various pieces of code, if it still lags then let me know
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #17 on: 2004-02-20, 08:34 »

No, I've not sped the ladder code up yet.  I'll put that on my to-do list.  You could climb faster in Q2, I know that much.

I think the trigger_hurt would work as long as the damage was kept kind of low.  That way you'll get squeazed to death over a short time if you get stuck.  Otherwise you'll instagib as soon as you touch the rotating face, which is bad.

Boot:  If you want to test the map with the func_rotate sometime let me know and I can throw it up on the beta test server to see if the lag is a server or client issue, or if it's specific to a listen server.  Push comes to shove I can always modify the func_rotate function to work more like Q2.

Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #18 on: 2004-02-20, 20:51 »

:offtopic I know...

Speaking of ladders, are they going to be based on player speed? ie: climbing rate == 50-75% class movement. ?

Makes sense to me, but I don't know how that would work, I DO know having doom flying around and then sticking to a ladder like flypaper has about the same effect.
« Last Edit: 2004-02-20, 20:51 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #19 on: 2004-02-20, 20:54 »

They're already based on class speed, although the slowdown is considerable. Earth CRAWLS...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: