2024-03-28, 11:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: W.I.P. Thread (Post pictures of your WIP maps)  (Read 24892 times)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #40 on: 2004-04-07, 03:41 »

I think a large part of the problem is that texture coordinate generation is abysmal in most programs like Max.  A very large part of the reasoning behind my sticking with Q2M for mesh generation is that I have complete control over skinmap generation and I can tailor the skinmap to be as friendly as possible to the skinner while minimizing distortion and seaming as much as I can.  Of course, the model's geometry also has much to do with that too.

Time constraints and learning curve have been the other part, since I could devote time to making models and writing code that I would otherwise use learning a program.  Eventually I'll have to learn more about how to use Max and the like, but I don't think I could have done a tenth as well making texturemaps in Max.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #41 on: 2004-04-07, 04:19 »

My current monstrosity.....btw, i like these textures ive stumbled apon...though...

I give you Kibbles&Gibs

ALL LINKS DEAD
« Last Edit: 2004-04-11, 20:51 by Lilazzkicker » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #42 on: 2004-04-07, 04:31 »

[RANT]Screenshots look SO much better at FOV 90 and don't make my weapon models look like toothpics.[/RANT]  Slipgate - Shouting

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #43 on: 2004-04-07, 05:31 »

It looks like a neat start... but would it be possible if you made a 2nd level or some platforms to generate some vertical fighting? Horizontal, linear fighting gets to be pretty dull after a while.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2004-04-07, 06:48 »

I know you love Q2M Pho, and I'm aware of the fact that sticking with what you know usually saves time (on the short run, in any case). I have seen abhorrent ways of unwrapping, back in the Max 3 R2 days, and the first thing I said when I heard about them is 'Is there no better way? Really?'. And, ofcourse, there was ;]

I do realize Q2M will have changed a bit since I last used it, but I have used it quite a bit back in the Q2 days. I can safely say that in comparing it with Max for ease and control in unwrapping, Max wins head on. I think this came up a while back, when we were discussing some flipped triangles that were hard to detect until the skinning phase.. I think it was around then that I wrote the tutorial that I am now reminded off again. So here goes, for those of you wanting to know why I am (for some odd reason) one of the few on this planet that doesn't dislike or have much difficulty with unwrapping..

http://www.planetquake.com/tabun/unwrapmax

---

And on Lilazz's map: Looking nice so far!
In regards to Tekhead's points: perhaps even a 'gravity' trap? ;]
« Last Edit: 2004-04-07, 06:50 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #45 on: 2004-04-08, 01:27 »

Mumble cough, who cares on the textures atm, i finally finished caulking it and i did this in about 2+hrs

ALL LINKS DEAD
« Last Edit: 2004-04-11, 20:50 by Lilazzkicker » Logged
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #46 on: 2004-04-08, 02:48 »

Its looking quite nice there Kicker of little ass, what is inside the glass in the center of the ceiling?

although if I may make a suggestion, learn to caulk before texturing not after it will save you r_speed greef (not that you have any 4000 is fine) later on
Lilazzkicker

Beta Tester
Quad God

« Reply #47 on: 2004-04-08, 04:17 »

Yea, Ive been doing all those detail brushes in caulk first then texturing them, really quiet a pain all in all, taking the most amount of time, though, biggest problem are the lasers, im going to have to make them triggered i think.
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #48 on: 2004-04-08, 18:49 »

Looks very nice lil! Thumbs up!
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #49 on: 2004-04-08, 18:55 »

Holy shit! That's a serious visual improvement!  Thumbs up!
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #50 on: 2004-04-11, 02:23 »

im woking on final doom plutonia map 30 deathmatch for gen , ( not that it will ever be released since im a bad mapper , if anyone with final doom wnts to see the original ,load up map 30 from plutonia , type in the cheat to go trough walls + the 1 to see the complete map and walk straight forward trough the map till you come to deathmatch part of the map .

a couple of things I should note about this map , there is no health on it ( exept bezerkers packets ) there is no armor on the map , exept for a megasphere ( I will change this for a lost soul )

there isnt any armor around , but I will include a red armor somewhere near a chaingun far away from the rocketlauncher making skippys run from 1 part of the map to the other .

there is a bfg on the map , but i will limit the ammo for earth to 5 or 10 shots since the map is a a bit small for a bfg , ( the doom and strogg will have ammo for 1 shot since there isnt any ammo on the map )
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #51 on: 2004-04-12, 19:22 »

Games don't call yourself a bad mapper, everyone has a learning curve, the thing you have to do is put as much detail into it as possible (yes, spork R_speeds), don't be afraid to waste a few months on a map since it makes for a better product and learn as you go, also don't be afraid to ask questions and search for how tos

Mapping is ultimately really easy, it just requires a large time investment, so work on it, and if you need any help I'd be glad to provide you with some
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: