2024-04-20, 16:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't do drugs kids...  (Read 31324 times)
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #80 on: 2004-03-26, 23:07 »

And please don't bring up the "pressures of society." If you can't tune out advertising, spork you and good ridence - please continue to kill yourself with drugs, et al, and stop polluting the genetic make-up of humanity.

So let me get this straight an average person can tune out the pressures of society yet cannot tune out the pressure of taking drugs and needs the government to prevent him from doing so?? Sounds like a massive double standard to me
« Last Edit: 2004-03-26, 23:09 by Devlar » Logged
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #81 on: 2004-03-26, 23:39 »

Quote from: Devlar

So let me get this straight an average person can tune out the pressures of society yet cannot tune out the pressure of taking drugs and needs the government to prevent him from doing so?? Sounds like a massive double standard to me
Now you're putting words into my mouth - when did I say to not do drugs?    By all means go ahead and do what you want, but keep it to yourself.  The instant you become a strung out junkie rolling people for your next fix  (and don't tell me it doesn't happen - maybe not always but often enough and no I don't have a link to a study to prove anything I just said) you've become a menace to the rest of society and need to be put down.
Anyway, if you want to take a look at your social contract, you will find that many of your personal freedoms are forfeit to live in this society for the good of the society at large.  The right to personal freedom is awfully vague and leaves lots of holes to be filled - if you take away my right to free software, like Doom 3, I will kill you.  Yes, I deserve free software that much.  It's my right and don't try to take it away. (facetious, yes) Etc.  The ideals you say are correct in form, but not function.  
And form always follows function.

You made me ramble again, damnit.
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #82 on: 2004-03-26, 23:44 »

I pride myself on my ability to make you ramble Slipgate - Grin

I'm not going to tell you it doesn't happen, I'm simply going to tell you it happens more often in places that prohibit the use of the drugs and that deal with addicts punitively.

As for my social contract, my rights are taken away but not for the good of the society but rather  for the advancement of a particular class in society. I never had a right to free software, since that is someone else's property. The holes aren't there and the lines are very easy to define
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #83 on: 2004-03-27, 06:22 »

Quote from: Devlar
I'm not going to tell you it doesn't happen, I'm simply going to tell you it happens more often in places that prohibit the use of the drugs and that deal with addicts punitively.
The pushers need to be punished, but the addicts need to be treated.  I agree that simple incarceration is not going to break the cycle.  Drug treatment programs are not much better though.  They have a less than 10% success rate.  I applaud that they have even 10% though, considering how addictive hard drugs are.  The problem is that people who get hooked on drugs usually live in areas where they are readily available, and cannot afford to live anywhere else.  Not all who get hooked are completely to blame either.  After all, you have people out there lying to them, telling them it's harmless, and real education either comes too late or is not available at all.  Once that first hit is taken it's nearly impossible to get off.  I don't like the natural selection model when it comes to victims of circumstance either.  Talk about punishing indiscriminantly.

Let's face reality here as well.  Illegal drugs are a commodity, and selling them is a business.  Devlar, if you're so anti-capitalism then you should be denigrating the drug trade for its methods instead of protecting the addicts' private property "rights".  After all, dealers are out there pushing a bad product and care a lot less about destroying someone's life with it than any megacorp does with theirs.  I see the dealers driving around in their pimpmobiles, wearing their gold, and living it up while their "customers" are going nuts looking for the next hit, and how to pay for it.  That's not even capitalism, that's extortion.  You addict someone at an early age so they HAVE to buy what you have, then like a parasite you suck them dry and throw them away once they're of no use to you.  I'm sorry, but that's evil if I've ever seen it, and I've seen a lot of evil in my time.

Drugs did not always exist, nor must they always exist.  The only solution to this problem is to eliminate it at the source.  Cut off the head and the body dies.  Eliminate the drugs and the supply chain and the demand will dry up once the supply has been gone for a while.   That's not as easy in practice as it sounds of course, and as long as it can remain a political issue to pander votes with then they will keep poor people addicted and in a drug-induced squallor as long as it suits them.  Legalizing hard drugs will not solve the problem, it will only make it "acceptible".  It excuses the unexcusable and writes off induced suffering to the status of a "lifestyle".  I call that abandonment.  People think that I'm apathetic toward humanity, yet all I'm seeing from people who write this off as an invasion of private property rights is completely apathy to the people suffering here.  This will only end when society wakes up and turns its collective back on foolish vices and destructive behavior.  I have little faith that will happen any time soon.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Devlar

Makron

« Reply #84 on: 2004-03-27, 08:15 »

Let's face reality here as well. Illegal drugs are a commodity, and selling them is a business. Devlar, if you're so anti-capitalism then you should be denigrating the drug trade for its methods instead of protecting the addicts' private property "rights".
I've said quite repeatedly I'm not anti-capitalism, I'm a liberitarian first and foremost, redistribution I agree with but I think it has to be given freely. I'm pro-capitalism, I just think capitalism doesn't exist anymore since corporations have become the dominant force in society. Competition is dead, therefore capitalism is dead also.

I see the dealers driving around in their pimpmobiles, wearing their gold, and living it up while their "customers" are going nuts looking for the next hit, and how to pay for it. That's not even capitalism, that's extortion. You addict someone at an early age so they HAVE to buy what you have, then like a parasite you suck them dry and throw them away once they're of no use to you.
Here's where we agree, these leaches have to be dealt with, BUT, the system set up to fight the "war on drugs" is exactly what is creating these leaches in the first place. If capitalism worked in this regard, drugs would be found at every local shop and not dealt out by criminals who fund their criminal activities with them. Even better you could tax the drugs being sold in the shops and fund rehabilitation programs rather than funding criminal elements. Through prohibition we are only forcing money into the hands of criminals (or Kenedys) and not dealing with the problem. Legalization and full nationwide distribution is the only way you are ever going to be able to solve the problem. I hate to admit it but desensitization works
« Last Edit: 2004-03-27, 08:20 by Devlar » Logged
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #85 on: 2004-03-27, 13:05 »

id jusy like to say while im drunk that anything that gives you a buzz is good. god made grain so we could make whiskey. you have no idea how hard it was for me to type this.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #86 on: 2004-03-28, 00:59 »

The only "high" I'll ever need is my love for my mate.  Nothing else in this universe or any other could come close to that.  <3

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
WolfCub

Pinky

« Reply #87 on: 2004-03-31, 02:58 »

Drugs increase a country's dependency rate, the higher the dependency rate, the higher amount of tax we pay, the economy hurts because of it.  It is not economically viable for drugs to be used legally or illegally.  Also, I've noticed that every "druggie" that I know is significantly less intelligent than myself and others who do not do such things.  Drugs have negatively influenced everyone, whether you do them or not.  It's simply a waste of life and time.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: