2024-04-28, 04:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Slipgate vs Doom: Read me! (I said read me!)  (Read 33212 times)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« on: 2004-03-22, 01:39 »

It looks like the slippy vs doom match won this week's poll.

However, there's a few issues that need to be addressed:

The biggest thing is that class-based teams are broke right now. There's no way to auto-separate the classes. If we were to do slippy vs doom today, it would have to be on a locked server with an admin present to balance the teams.

I'd require a couple days (at least) to set up a roster for each team. If anyone's ever played a clan match, you get the idea of what I want to set up.

The next thing is the 'turncloak' bug, where one member of the blue team has a red skin. This can easily tip the balance in favor of the blue team, and you never get a red team member with a blue skin.

Third: version 99e is getting closer, and is tweaking a lot of the weapons. The slipgate RL's radius and damage-increasing bug is going to be removed, bringing the weapon down to it's proper levels. The Slipgate nails are getting a speed boost to make them a bit more useful. Doom's blimp-rockets are getting their hitbox shrunk a bit as well. This should help balance out the classes a bit more.

Lastly: The team scoreboard is horrid right now. If we wanted to do more than 5v5, we would have the extra hassle of trying to manually count the team members. This will be fixed in version 99e.

I propose waiting to play the Slipgate vs. Doom match till next Monday (at least) and preferably till 99e comes out with its balance changes and teamplay tweaks.

Does anyone mind? This would give Fully Loaded a spot on the custom games this week.

Once a date is decided upon, I'll set up a roster and post the server configs. We'll also be wanting to play a variety of maps, and set a set point when one class "wins", such as the best of 3 maps. (or whatever is decided upon).

The logistics of setting up this match are a lot more difficult than just tweaking a few variables and server settings, and I'll need some time to set things up.

Does anyone have a problem with this? I'll be posting a separate thread for voting server settings.
« Last Edit: 2004-03-22, 01:39 by ConfusedUs » Logged
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-22, 01:46 »

>Does anyone have a problem with this?

Nope, infact i'm curious to play Fully Loaded. What does that mean exactly....all classes with full weapons/ammo upon spawning? Thats what it sounds like to me, just wondering  Slipgate - Smile

>I propose waiting to play the Slipgate vs. Doom match till next Monday (at least) and preferably till 99e comes out with its balance changes and teamplay tweaks.

I say till .99e. With all the bugs you listed, and the balance changes soon, it'd be best for everyone to start playing the two classes together with the new changes to get a better feel of things. I can't wait to try out the new and improved Nailguns (will Pho's new model of the Super Nailgun be in there that he posted a preview of a while back?) Thumbs up!

Its inevitable that someone'd ask, so I guess I may as well ask: Any estimate on 99e's release? Ballpark figure?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-22, 01:59 »

sounds good to me, but on a fully-loaded game, arena is going to be freaking OBNOXIOUS.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-22, 02:04 »

I can wait until .99e. It sounds like it would be much better. Particularly if all those lovely new models are in there ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-22, 02:07 »

Mant: fully loaded = spawn with all weapons with full armor and 100/100 health/armor.

Full loaded will be sans arena class, because of balance reasons.
MantiCore

Cacodemon

« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-22, 02:37 »

> Mant: fully loaded = spawn with all weapons with full armor and 100/100 health/armor.

>>Full loaded will be sans arena class, because of balance reasons.

Sounds good, though I will miss my Auto-GreenMint-BFG  Slipgate - Wink

Fully Loaded  it is for tommorow, then?
l4mby

Beta Tester
Spider Mastermind

« Reply #6 on: 2004-03-22, 03:16 »

Whenever is good for me. Count me in as a doomer. ;p

And as to when ... no matter ... I'll be there regardless. Slipgate - Laugh
Tha[\]atos

Imp

« Reply #7 on: 2004-03-22, 03:45 »

Waiting until 99e works for me(as it seems to for everyone else) and fully loaded sounds like fun. lets play.

--oh and I'd prefer doom when the time comes; although I'd be willing to go the other way if there were too many people on the doom side.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #8 on: 2004-03-22, 05:06 »

I do have to warn everyone that wants to wait for 99e: there's no timeframe for release as of yet.

Pho still has to hunt down the turncloak bug; that's the biggie. It's being a PAIN in the ass to find.

However, I would personally prefer to wait myself. Maybe we can get class-based teams working again. Slipgate - Smile

P.S. Don't kill me pho! Please. Think of the baby!

Slipgate - Smile
Xypher
Carbon-based Homosapien with an affinity for c++

Team Member
Chton

« Reply #9 on: 2004-03-22, 05:59 »

<-- Prefers doom for team games, count me in

Sliders
Uptime: Yes!
Last Idle: 6 Years

http://hellbat.mine.nu
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #10 on: 2004-03-22, 07:22 »

a LOT of good things are being added in 99e. So much that I've been kinda spoiled by it already, and don't want to play in 99d games. Count me out.
« Last Edit: 2004-03-22, 07:34 by Tekhead » Logged
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #11 on: 2004-03-22, 12:05 »

Sounds like 99e is going to chatnge the face of Gen.

What about an entire game with all players on invisable all the time?

This might be a laugh for a modded game one week.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #12 on: 2004-03-22, 13:20 »

Con:  I won't kill you.  In fact, I planned on fixing the class-based teams for 99e.  It should be a fairly simple thing to do.  Here's how it will work:

There are two server cvars:  g_redteam, and g_blueteam.  TEAM DEATHMATCH or CTF with CLASS TEAMS enabled will force RED and BLUE teams to a specific class based on those cvars.  For example:

g_redteam DOOM, g_blueteam SLIPGATE

This would have DOOM red team and SLIPGATE blue team.  No other classes would be allowed to join a team.  This DMFLAG will ONLY work in teamplay.  This is different from "Every class for itself", which we may implement in a gametype later.  Once this is fixed and the "turncloak" bug is eliminated I think it will make for a better balance.  The new scoreboard will also help in team balancing.  I'm all for waiting myself.

As for the weapon models, that depends on getting model skins.  The models themselves are ready, Tab just needs to do his thing.  Right now he's working on armor models, and doing a fine job I would say.  I have some stuff left to do code-wise too, including the new (optional) BFG behavior for Arena that needs to go into .99e to fix the balance issue with that weapon and take the "F" out of players' mouths and put it into the gun where it belongs.

I think everything will fall into place about the same time.  When that is, I don't know.  I've given up on making estimates because every time I do something comes along to deliberately muck things up and make me overshoot it be a few weeks, so I'll leave it a surprise.  Maybe the "RL" demons will leave me be for once. Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #13 on: 2004-03-22, 15:42 »

I would really like a chance to get the armors & weapon skins done before 99e gets out.
Strogg's stuff is done, there's already a model for both the two slipgate, and the two doom armors, and I've almost got the Luger covered ;]

Barring any odd delays, I should be able to get this stuff done in a couple of weeks, three at most. I have no idea what I'm going for when it comes to the earth stuff, though.
Perhaps a medieval suit of armor, although that barely makes sense.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
dna

Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #14 on: 2004-03-22, 16:15 »

Quote from: Tabun
I have no idea what I'm going for when it comes to the earth stuff, though.
Perhaps a medieval suit of armor, although that barely makes sense.
How about just some modern body armor? - kevlar vest stuff, etc.
mecha

Shambler

« Reply #15 on: 2004-03-22, 16:34 »

I'm surprised at the turnout of the poll.. I didn't think there was that much interest, but I guess so. we definately should wait for .99e for the sake of getting accurate teamplay integrated in Gen again. I wasn't aware of the rocket launcher bug with Slipgate, typically I go for the strength rune when I play, so I guess I never really noticed. Slipgate - Laugh

anyway, let's talk teams here too. I don't want this game to be massive, but Con has informed me that we'll have 2 servers available to us on the night that we get this game going, so we can have 2 games going at once. we have plenty of time til we play, so let's determine which classes and which gametype you'd prefer to play first.

I'm all for Slipgate CTF

I thank you all for your cooperation and dealing with me for the past month ... get used to it, I'm gonna be here for awhile. Slipgate - Laugh
« Last Edit: 2004-03-22, 16:40 by mecha » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #16 on: 2004-03-22, 19:32 »

Alright, since everyone is in agreement on waiting s few weeks for 99e, lets hold off.

I'll make the announcement for Fully-Loaded tonight, standard map rotation. Both servers will run the same gametype, for the moment.
« Last Edit: 2004-03-22, 19:33 by ConfusedUs » Logged
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #17 on: 2004-03-22, 19:41 »

Tab: I agree with dna. Give Earth some riot gear!!

Con: How about "home" and "away" TDM games for both classes? You know, doom map, slippy map, doom, slippy, etc?

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #18 on: 2004-03-22, 19:47 »

I plan on adding more 'game types' to the custom game poll as others are taken away, and that's a really good idea.

Thanks. Slipgate - Smile
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #19 on: 2004-03-22, 19:56 »

Thumbs up!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: