2024-04-27, 22:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripped Gen stuff ((Check it out))  (Read 32637 times)
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2004-06-03, 20:48 »

Geez ok here we go again... damnit this just makes me so tired and pissed off.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #21 on: 2004-06-03, 21:55 »

Oh great, another one.

I love how no one has brought up the most pertintent fact of copyright law:

The copyright exists the moment the work is created. No "owned by X" or "you may not pass my work off as your own" statements required.

I'm going to stay out of that thread on the other board and let Lee'Mon do the talking. It's what he's best at.
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #22 on: 2004-06-03, 22:49 »

Actually... my last post on the other forum did imply that. And all I wanted to do was imply it. I didn't want to actually say it. Slipgate - Smile

I enjoy making people think... or not think. Digging deep into how much they actually know, per se. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Creed

Light Guard

« Reply #23 on: 2004-06-03, 22:58 »

I'm feeling really lame right now.

I ported most of the models for myself and uploaded them to try to extent quakeworlds life...I'm really sorry to the whole wirehead team for not asking.

Never did I say these were my models, I always said where I ripped them from, I edited them only to make them the same size as the id ones.

Props to the modelers and skin artists from Wirehead because they're all pro.

I fail to see the reason for all the rage...you're ripping q1 q2 and doom. If you like quake1 enough to bring it to q3 why can't quake1 have the redone models?

Again I'm very sorry to the whole Wirehead team, I did not profit in any way and I only ported your models on request.

Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #24 on: 2004-06-03, 23:07 »

we didnt 'rip' anything is the problem here, all of our content is completely original.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2004-06-03, 23:09 »

I fail to see the reason for all the rage...you're ripping q1 q2 and doom. If you like quake1 enough to bring it to q3 why can't quake1 have the redone models?
We're ripping nothing. We've re-created, from scratch, everything in Gen.

Nonstalgia is nice, but stealing others' work and promoting as your own (or as part of another project) is immoral, inconsiderate, and illegal.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #26 on: 2004-06-03, 23:16 »

However, we do thank you for your apology, however hollow it may be, considering the models are still up.

I'm sure you mean well, but until the content is removed, you will not be forgiven. And if we have to get the content forcibly removed, well it won't be the first time we've shut down a site or a fledgeling criminal modeler .

Saying that you only did it by request is like telling the authorities that you only robbed the bank because little Timmy wanted lunch money.
Creed

Light Guard

« Reply #27 on: 2004-06-03, 23:25 »

This is from my thread in the fuhquake.net/forum

oldman

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: 
may i recommend converting the 'slipgaters' md3 weapon models from http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/generations

you seem to be able to do them very well

Bitchslap420

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: 
oldman wrote:
may i recommend converting the 'slipgaters' md3 weapon models from http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/generations

Not to mention the beautiful and (more)faithful health and ammo boxes

Just a small request for the head : could you also make it lie flat on the ground. The hovering is really cheesy =p

Keep it up

denoid

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: riiight.. 
The only conversion I'd like to see is a complete, fully faithful, conversion of the Ranger model from Q3

Adler

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: 
gg rtcw

Connor

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: 
I like the Generations mod...I was playing a bit of it last night. The md3s are ok, but I like neogens models better...its nice for a change though. I dont really want to port any of the weapons except the axe, super nailgun , chainsaw and maybe the doom rl.

I did a few of the bmodels already.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid1...d4/f96776f3.jpg

Last edited by Connor on Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #28 on: 2004-06-03, 23:43 »

Good for them. It's still not:

a) moral. You did NOT ask for permission. You barely mentioned the mod at all
b) considerate. Don't steal, it's not nice.
c) legal. Regardless of if there's a text file or a disclaimer, the copyright exists from the moment the work was created. You have broken copyright law, and as such are a target for lawsuits.

Once again, stealing our models just because others asked for them is no different than stealing a candy bar from Wal-Mart because some stranger at the door asked for it.
o'dium

Spectre

« Reply #29 on: 2004-06-03, 23:45 »

I once stole 3 1p cola bottle sweets from a shop near me because i liked them. However, i fealt so bad I didn't leave the house for a week.

True story  Slipgate - Off Topic
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #30 on: 2004-06-04, 00:48 »

First of all, thanks for the apology, Creed.
Feeling lame over this is a good thing if you ask me - it's the proper feeling to accompany an act of 'ripping'. I'm sure the world will be a bit of a better place for every person to learn this small and yet apparantly difficult lesson in life.

Secondly, to get a few things in the clear:
- I noticed that you never claimed them as your in that thread, explicitly, anyway. This does not remove the fact that all the facts in my list of facts are.. well.. facts..
Anyway, in regarding to that, and as far as I'm concerned: Apology accepted.
- I am flattered (even in the face of other, some more outrageous, model thefts throughout my 'career' in this business) by the interest people take in my work. Compare it to drinking a very fine wine indeed, while a small horde of leprechauns is furiously jabbing poison-tipped knitting needles in your shins. It's hard to savour the taste, as it were.

And lastly: ConfusedUs is very much correct - and you still do not have permission to release, redistribute, edit or use the models.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Creed

Light Guard

« Reply #31 on: 2004-06-04, 02:16 »

hehe I just wanted you guys who didn't get a chance to read this from my thread on the qw forum

west
Ogre

Posted: Today 02:31    Post subject: 
You are all taking this far too seriously. It was just a missunderstanding. Indeed, Creed should have organized the whole post better, with proper credits, but there's no reason to make a big deal out of this. You can't have control over things that are made to be modified. O'dium seems like bored enough to create huge discussions over innocent things. Go and get a life .

ssaknup
Ogre

Posted: Today 02:41    Post subject: 
I have to agree with west. The whole thing is rather petty. But what really is blown out of proportion is the people over at the wireframe board slamming Creed like he's a serial killer and needs to be put in jail. And a question I wanna answered is how many of these guys yelling their asses off at Creed have hard drives full of MP3's from K-Lite...

Fiona Apple - Criminal
BogoJoker

« Reply #32 on: 2004-06-04, 04:06 »

At first I thought this was a joke, sadly its not.

Though i don't think i held any part of this, I can't belive what has happened and what I have learned from it.

First off: I offer an apology to the Wirehead team for what has been discovered.  I'm sure no harm was meant but everything you have said, and i mean Nearly EVERY post on this thread is true.

Second: I would like to avoid the direct subject and tell you that the way you have conducted yourselves is extraordinary (check that spelling).

Finally: This website is Freaking amazing!! These forums rock, this website rocks.  I'm gonna search around some more and comment around!!  Great work on Generations.  I have played it but didnt recognize the models.  From now on i will look out for "piracy" in a much different form.
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2004-06-04, 04:08 »

Thanks, and welcome aboard.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #34 on: 2004-06-04, 04:20 »

Woot!
« Last Edit: 2004-06-04, 04:21 by Tekhead » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #35 on: 2004-06-04, 05:30 »

I suppose it's time I squawk up now that I've gotten wind of this.

Creed:  First, this is about hard work - OURS.  We own these models.  We take pride in what we do, and for someone to just come along and use without permission hurts.  We are well within our rights to protect what is ours.

Second, this is about helping YOU see what not to do.  Generations Q2 got shut down by Id Software because it used models, textures, and maps that belonged to Id Software, Inc, WITHOUT PERMISSION.  This is known as "foxing" among the mod community.  You can either voluntarily remove content that is not yours, or it can be done forcibly.  The reason it's known as "foxing" is because of Fox going after people who used ANY shred of their intellectual property.  This went as far as real names, addresses, etc, having to be disclosed to Fox, along with ALL material from the offending mod or criminal prosecution would follow.  That's the most extreme case, and yes, this did happen to real people just like you.

We at Wirehead do not make it our life's goal to be jerks to people, so we ask first and shoot later.  Just bear in mind that we WILL shoot if our rights are not respected.  This is not a threat, it's a promise.  If you want your project(s) to go forward, well that's great!  So do we.  However, if they are to go forward you need to do it on the level and not just take what belongs to others.  Sentiments in this are irrelevant, and no manner of posting other peoples' opinions will change our stance on this matter.  Work hard, do it yourselves, and take pride in what you do.

Lastly, if we cannot convince you that we are serious on this matter and resolve it peacefully don't take the "lawsuit" option lightly.  We mean it, and we have the resources and connections to do it.  We don't even have to go that far.  All we need to do to shut you down is to notify other companies whose material you've used without consent and they will do the job well enough without our needing to lift a finger.   We do not take this lightly, nor is this petty nor blown out of proportion.  We do our damndest to make sure we stay legal and don't infringe on any copyrights because we respect the work that's been done before us.  That's the whole POINT of our project - it is a tribute to Id Software.  We're not going to turn around and steal from those we admire.  LeeMon has kept in touch with Todd H. at Id to make sure every move we make is ok with them and that we're not invading their personal space.  We expect the exact same treatment from anyone else and we demand no less when it comes to respecting our work.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #36 on: 2004-06-04, 06:26 »

Of further note, every "milestone" release of Generations features this text included in the installer.  For those who just used the .zip version, yes, you may have missed it.  .zip format is provided for those using alternative OS's who cannot otherwise use the .exe installer, however since this seems to be a continuing problem with people thinking they can just rip our work at will we'll make doubly sure it's included in every new file we provide.  Download the .99c release in either gensetup-full.exe or gensetup-min.exe format and you'll be greeted with this immediately upon program execution.

?GENERATIONS ARENA? MODIFICATION
SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

This Limited Use Software License Agreement (the "Agreement") is a legal agreement between you, the end-user, and the organization WireHead Studios (?WireHead?).  BY CONTINUING THE INSTALLATION OF THE GAME MODIFICATION PROGRAM ENTITLED GENERATIONS ARENA (THE "SOFTWARE"), BY LOADING OR RUNNING THE SOFTWARE, OR BY PLACING OR COPYING THE SOFTWARE ONTO YOUR COMPUTER HARD DRIVE, COMPUTER RAM OR OTHER STORAGE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.  

1.   WireHead Studios.  ?WireHead Studios? shall refer to the organization responsible for the creation of the Software.  This organization shall include Lee ?Lee?Mon? Montgomery, as well as other individuals not disclosed in this Agreement who have contributed to the creation of the Software.  Any communications concerning this Agreement shall be directed either directly to Lee Montgomery or to the email address leemon@planetquake.com.

2.   Grant of License for Software.  Subject to the terms and provisions of this Agreement and so long as you fully comply at all times with this Agreement, WireHead grants to you the non-exclusive and limited right to use the Software in executable or object code form for the purposes of a beta test.  The term "Software" includes all elements of the Software such as data files, images appearing in the Software, and screen displays.  You are not receiving any ownership or proprietary right, title or interest in or to the Software or the copyrights, trademarks, or other rights related thereto.  For purposes of the first sentence of this section, "use" means loading the Software into RAM and/or onto computer hard drive, as well as installation of the Software on a hard disk or other storage device, and means the uses permitted in sections 3. and 5. herein below.  You agree that the Software will not be shipped, transferred or exported into any country in violation of the U.S. Export Administration Act (or any other law governing such matters) by you or any one at your direction and that you will not utilize and will not authorize anyone to utilize, in any other manner, the Software in violation of any applicable law.  The Software shall not be exported or re-exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods or to anyone or into any country who/which are prohibited, by applicable law, from receiving such property.

3.   Modification Beta-Test Use.  You the end-user are granted the limited, non-exclusive right to use the Software as modification software designed to operate with the full retail version of the game program Quake III Arena (but not any demo, test or other version of said game).  By using the Software, you agree to operate the Software for the sole purpose of beta-testing the code operations of the Software.  By using the Software, you agree that the Software is in an uncompleted, unfinished form, and agree to hold WireHead Studios and its members harmless for any copyright, trademark, and/or intellectual property infringement caused by any version of the Software that WireHead Studios does not intentionally make available for public use.  You shall not alter the Software to infringe against any third party right or use the Software in any manner that would be libelous, defamatory, obscene, false, misleading, or otherwise illegal or unlawful. You shall not rent, sell, lease, lend, offer on a pay-per-play basis or otherwise commercially exploit or commercially distribute the Software.  You shall not distribute the Software to any third party, including but not limited to ID Software, Inc. and/or Activision, Inc.  As noted below, in the event you commit any breach of this Agreement, your license and this Agreement shall automatically terminate, without notice.  You hereby agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless WireHead Studios and its members, ID and Activision and WireHead?s, ID's and Activision's respective officers, employees, directors, agents, licensees (excluding you), sub-licensees (excluding you), successors and assigns from and against all losses, lawsuits, damages, causes of action and claims relating to and/or arising from the Software or the distribution or other use of the Software or relating to and/or arising from your breach of this Agreement.  Your obligations set forth in the immediately preceding sentence shall survive the cancellation or termination of this Agreement.

4.   Prohibitions with Regard to Software. You, whether directly or indirectly, shall not do any of the following acts:
a.   rent the Software;

b.   sell the Software;

c.   lease or lend the Software;

d.   offer the Software on a pay-per-play basis;

e.   distribute the Software by any means, including, but not limited to, Internet or other electronic distribution, direct mail, retail, mail order or other means;

f.   in any other manner and through any medium whatsoever commercially exploit the Software or use the Software for any commercial purpose;

g.   disassemble, reverse engineer, decompile, modify (except as permitted by section 3. hereinabove) or alter the Software;

h.   translate the Software;

i.   reproduce or copy the Software (except as permitted by section 5. hereinbelow); or

j.   prepare or develop derivative works based upon the Software.

5.   Permitted Copying.  You may make only the following copies of the Software:   (i) you may copy the Software from the location provided by WireHead Studios onto your computer hard drive; (ii) you may copy the Software from your computer hard drive into your computer RAM; and (iii) you may make one (1) "back up" or archival copy of the Software on one (1) hard disk.

6.   Intellectual Property Rights.  Certain portions of the Software are copyrighted ?2001-2002 by WireHead Studios and Lee Montgomery.  All copyrights, trademarks and all other conceivable intellectual property rights not retained by WireHead Studios and Lee Montgomery are owned by ID.  All copyrights, trademarks, and intellectual property rights contained herein are protected by United States copyright laws, international treaty provisions and all applicable law, such as the Lanham Act.  You must treat the Software like any other copyrighted material, as required by 17 U.S.C., ?101 et seq. and other applicable law.  You agree to use your best efforts to see that any user of the Software licensed hereunder complies with this Agreement.  You agree that you are receiving a copy of the Software by license only and not by sale and that the "first sale" doctrine of 17 U.S.C. ?109 does not apply to your receipt or use of the Software. This section 6. shall survive the cancellation or termination of this Agreement.

7.   No WireHead Warranties.  WIREHEAD STUDIOS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND ANY WARRANTY OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE.  WIREHEAD DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS.  ADDITIONAL STATEMENTS, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, DO NOT CONSTITUTE WARRANTIES BY WIREHEAD AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON.  This section 7. shall survive the cancellation or termination of this Agreement.

8.   Governing Law, Venue, and Liability Limitation.  This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with and governed by the applicable laws of the State of California and applicable United States federal law.  Copyright and other proprietary matters will be governed by applicable United States laws and international treaties.  Except as set forth below, exclusive venue for all litigation regarding this Agreement shall be in San Francisco County, California and you agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts in San Francisco, California for any such litigation. You agree that your unauthorized use of the Software or any part thereof may immediately and irreparably damage WireHead Studios such that WireHead could not be adequately compensated solely by a monetary award and that at WireHead's option WireHead shall be entitled to an injunctive order, in addition to all other available remedies including a monetary award, appropriately restraining and/or prohibiting such unauthorized use without the necessity of WireHead posting bond or other security.   IN ANY CASE, WIREHEAD STUDIOS, ACTIVISION, AND WIREHEAD?S, ID'S, AND ACTIVISION'S RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, AGENTS, LICENSEES (EXCLUDING YOU), SUBLICENSEES (EXCLUDING YOU), SUCCESSORS OR ASSIGNS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOST SAVINGS, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE OR OTHER SIMILAR DAMAGES ARISING FROM ANY ALLEGED CLAIM FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY EVEN IF WIREHEAD, ID, ACTIVISION OR THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENT(S) HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR EVEN IF SUCH DAMAGES ARE FORESEEABLE, OR LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY.  Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.  This section 8. shall survive the cancellation or termination of this Agreement.

9.   U.S. Government Restricted Rights.  To the extent applicable, the United States Government shall only have those rights to use the Software as expressly stated and expressly limited and restricted in this Agreement, as provided in 48 C.F.R. ?? 227.7201 through 227.7204, inclusive.

10.   General Provisions.  Neither this Agreement nor any part or portion hereof shall be assigned or sublicensed by you.  WireHead Studios, ID, and Activision each may assign its respective rights under this Agreement in the assigning party's sole discretion.  Should any provision of this Agreement be held to be void, invalid, unenforceable or illegal by a court of competent jurisdiction, the validity and enforceability of the other provisions shall not be affected thereby.  If any provision is determined to be unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, you agree to a modification of such provision to provide for enforcement of the provision's intent, to the extent permitted by applicable law.  Failure of WireHead, ID, or Activision to enforce any provision of this Agreement shall not constitute or be construed as a waiver of such provision or of the right to enforce such provision.  Immediately upon your failure to comply with or breach of any term or provision of this Agreement, YOUR LICENSE AND THIS AGREEMENT SHALL AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATE, WITHOUT NOTICE, AND WIREHEAD, ID, AND ACTIVISION MAY PURSUE ALL RELIEF AND REMEDIES AGAINST YOU WHICH ARE AVAILABLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW AND/OR THIS AGREEMENT.  In the event this Agreement is terminated, you shall have no right to use the Software in any manner, and you shall immediately destroy all copies of the Software in your possession, custody or control.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT, THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT, AND UNDERSTAND THAT BY CONTINUING THE INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE, BY LOADING OR RUNNING THE SOFTWARE, OR BY PLACING OR COPYING THE SOFTWARE ONTO YOUR COMPUTER HARD DRIVE OR RAM, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.  YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT, EXCEPT FOR WRITTEN SEPARATE AGREEMENTS BETWEEN WIREHEAD STUDIOS, ID, OR ACTIVISION AND YOU, IF ANY, THIS AGREEMENT IS A COMPLETE AND EXCLUSIVE STATEMENT OF THE RIGHTS AND LIABILITIES OF THE PARTIES HERETO.  THIS AGREEMENT SUPERSEDES ALL PRIOR ORAL AGREEMENTS, PROPOSALS OR UNDERSTANDINGS, AND ANY OTHER COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN WIREHEAD STUDIOS, ID, ACTIVISION AND YOU RELATING TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT.

LeeMon

Team Member
Shambler

« Reply #37 on: 2004-06-04, 07:58 »

This has been sent to the relevant party, but I'll post it here, slightly reworded for the general audience.
==========
I know there's a lot of emotional arguing going back and forth on the various forums, so I wanted to post officially on behalf of the team, to try and get as much straightened out as possible.

We at WireHead have the utmost respect for other individuals and teams that are putting forth effort to revitalize the id Software anthologies and present the game universes we all know and love in new forms.  Generations Arena is not only our premier project, but a massive undertaking of any scope, and everyone here is proud of what we've created and the fanbase that has grown because of it.  We wish others in the id "classic" mod community all the luck in their own successes.

That said, the history of WireHead and the Generations projects has its fair share of erroneous thinking about copyrights, copyright law, and the degree of respect one has to give to those laws when one is "just" making mods.

The sole reason Generations Arena exists is that id Software explicitly gave us permission to build on their copyrights, most notably, to draw so heavily on the Game Scenarios of their previous games.  We were not permitted to copy characters or their likenesses, but were permitted to create weapons, graphics, etc. that were similar in form and function to the original games.

One thing we were explicitly not permitted to use, however, was any of the actual content from the games.  This includes the actual models, sounds, textures, and geometry (explicitly geometry... hand-duplicated levels were not allowed) from those games.  Those were the original works, and there were serious copyright issues that would arise for id themselves if they allowed others to use them, even for free.  (The fact that the publisher owns certain copyright on the games as well further murks up the issue).

While we take extreme pride in Generations, we cannot take too much ownership in it from a copyright standpoint.  Much of the non-tangible aspects (the design, scenario, intellectual property, etc) are derivative works.  However, the actual files--textures, models, etc--are ours.

We have no desire to be stingy or legal sticklers over copyright issues, but the concerns we have are ones that anyone who creates something would share.  We want to keep ownership and recognition for the work we created.   We want to know (or at least have a general idea) of who's using our stuff and how they're using it (especially if it's not in the way we presented it).

More notably, we don't wanting people to pick and choose among our content and present a very incomplete picture of our work.  Most of all, we don't want all the hard work we went to lumped up with other people's creations, thus having our own work judged based on the works of others.

While the body of copyright law can be confusing, the basic concept (easily looked up at http://copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html for those other people out there who start quoting laws that don't exist) is extremely easy.  A work is copyrighted the second it's created.  The copyright need not be explicitly listed anywhere, nor any EULA need exist for the work to be protected.  The work is automatically protected against reproduction, copying, and derivative works (among other things) , and to do those things without explicit permission is illegal.

Regardless of the opinion some of the forum discussors might have, using models and textures others have created, without their expressed permission, is a violation of copyright and illegal.  Even if one does not care about that, it still is horrible etiquette at best, and underhanded at worst, to do it.  It's especially important to get permission when taking individual elements of a complete work (that each constitute a significant work in and of themselves, like models) out of the whole work... and even more so when bundling them with other works outside the original creator's control,

We at WireHead are fairly frank and open about the concept of derivative works... Generations is one itself, and we'd be nowhere on it without permission from id.  But that's the point: we asked before we started, and we double-checked each step of the way.  It's all we've ever asked of others, and even if one ignores that it's the law to do so, it's just polite.

Part of the frustation among our members and fans is that we seem to go through this on a semi-monthly basis, every time with a new person who "didn't know."  The burden of proof is not on us, the responsibility is not inherently ours; we give sufficient notification, and searching for places where we do not state such does not provide one protection.

We'll certainly take steps to state this more clearly, but allow me to get it out in the open now: WireHead Studios does not permit derivative works of Generations without explicit permission.  The only major exception is the creation of maps (not based on our .map or .bsp files) that make use of (but do not include) our custom textures.

Please consider this a request to remove all of WireHead Studio's content from this project, and do not include any of our files in the future.  If anyone have any questions, I'm more than happy to discuss this via my email.  My one request would be this: if you wish to discuss any specifics of copyright law that you feel may allow use of our property without permission, please at least thoroughly read http://www.copyright.gov before making arguments about what is and is not allowed.  ;^)

--Lee Montgomery
Creed

Light Guard

« Reply #38 on: 2004-06-04, 08:28 »

Generations Q2 got shut down by Id Software because it used models, textures, and maps that belonged to Id Software

Rofl

hypocrite says what.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #39 on: 2004-06-04, 08:43 »

Here I was trying to do you a favor and save you from what killed a very fun project.  Oh and by the way, I was not on the original Generations project for Quake 2.  You might do your homework sometime, but I see you care little for that from your response on your own message board.  It's nice to know that you hold our work in such high esteem that the only way you see fit to appreciate it is to disrespect us and steal it for your own use.  You're setting a fine example for the rest of the mod community of what not to do.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: