2024-04-28, 18:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Feedback Thread: 99e (Let us know what you think!)  (Read 32418 times)
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #40 on: 2004-08-15, 19:19 »

is that pic from a source port or from Quake Vanilla?

BTW please give me a download link for the map.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-15, 19:22 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #41 on: 2004-08-15, 19:59 »

I got the map from a PainKeep arena site.  its fragtown30

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nova/2704/...4/pklevels.html

The screenie is Generations 99e, with the fragtown map loaded on my LAN

The guy who made it  has been on the forums, but I'm so stupid I can't remember who it was!

« Last Edit: 2004-08-15, 20:32 by shambler » Logged
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #42 on: 2004-08-15, 21:17 »

Slipgate - Off Topic Which download? The individual one, tailored to PKA, or from the whole flumaps pack?
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #43 on: 2004-08-15, 21:34 »

The individual one.

the one in the pack is smaller. its basically  the same but with about 1/3 of the map missing.

I tend to play open, urban maps a lot. it makes me less 'travel sick' if I  play for too long. must be because theres less corners and turning.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #44 on: 2004-08-20, 22:22 »

I think I have found a glitch or something in 99e. But maybe it was always there...

My next weapon key is E. if I press it  and hold it down, the weapons cycle as mega speed. if you then press the fire button, you get  the most amazing effect. you rotate between weapons and fire each in turn, kind of.
« Last Edit: 2004-08-20, 22:25 by shambler » Logged
hackett

« Reply #45 on: 2004-08-23, 19:32 »

the new package is extremely nice - one of the duel maps, don't recall the name atm, just brings back perfectly the feel of good ol' q2, while, for instance, the dark zone is a superb remake of the original one. the physics feel great also .. so just some minor issues: having another sng as a slipgater on the q3dm6 rail ledge is awful... up there happens to be one of the most powerful weapons of that map, so this would have to change...  the other one will fall back on me & my incapabilities to understand the manual correctly, I suppose - as much fun as the game is, I couldn't figure out how to get player models which are visible even in the dark zone in ffa & 1on1(while playing bots, I might add..) -  with or without forcing enemymodels. the model-commands didn't change anything at all, if I'm not mistaken (*lol*, I am, I know, but I just don't know where & why) ... this takes away some of the fun of playing ga... other than that it's besides cpma & osp the best mod for q3a by far...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2004-08-24, 09:49 »

Quote from: hackett
having another sng as a slipgater on the q3dm6 rail ledge is awful...

Weapons replace by item type.  Every Slipgate weapon is still a Q3 item spawn, but they convert by weapon number to the old Quake weapons upon pickup.  All railguns in Generations give Slipgaters a Super Nailgun.  The reasoning for this is twofold.  One, Slipgaters have no long-range instant hit weapon.  Second, no other weapon is a good replacement.  Adding another rocket launcher would be insane.  We tried that earlier on, and it gives Slipgate three high-explosive weapons pickups (Rocket launcher, Grenade launcher, and Railgun) that he can draw ammo from any of those three ammo types.  Shaft is also far too powerful and is a short-range weapon so the conversion makes no sense.  It would also give Slipgate 3 lightning gun pickups (Lightning gun, BFG, and Railgun) as opposed to the two that already exist.  The SNG was the logical choice since nails are scarce as it is and the other two choices would seriously overbalance the game in Slipgate's favor.

as much fun as the game is, I couldn't figure out how to get player models which are visible even in the dark zone in ffa & 1on1(while playing bots, I might add..) -  with or without forcing enemymodels. the model-commands didn't change anything at all, if I'm not mistaken

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  Are you wanting to select a different player model for yourself but having difficulty doing so?

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
hackett

« Reply #47 on: 2004-08-24, 17:53 »

thx for the quick reply. I can see the problem there and I think I'll just learn how to get a frag with those nails ... =)

"I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you wanting to select a different player model for yourself but having difficulty doing so? "

...because of my crappy english, that is... what I wanted to say is that I didn't yet figure out how to get a clearly visible crispy enemymodel, no matter what I did. such as the enemy-models in cpma or osp...

as for bug reporting: whenever I start a listen server in 1o1 or tdm from the in-game menu I always start with either "the forlorn hope" (1o1) or "iron yard" (tdm) - no matter which map I chose ... but this doesn't bug me seriously, just for the record.
I hope I'll be able to test your mod on lan anytime soon, so you don't have to cope with bot-player's complaints anymore ...=)
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #48 on: 2004-08-24, 19:18 »

We don't support bright skins the way CPM does, if that's what you want.

Also, any time you start a server, a certain map rotation is put into effect. If you look in your generations directory, you should see files such as "gen_ctf.cfg" and "gen_tourney.cfg". Those are the map rotations. You may edit those if you wish.
hackett

« Reply #49 on: 2004-08-24, 19:37 »

it wouldn't take brightskins - even though for a deathmatch-game they are extremely useful - but the standard models are sometimes very hard to see, which I think is unnecessary ... so something inbeetween maybe would do...
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #50 on: 2004-08-25, 21:35 »

We have absolutely no intention of adding CPM-style bright skins.  If the models are hard to see I would suggest checking your video settings, specifically gamma correction if things are too dark, before blaming anything on the mod.  If you wish you can set cg_forcemodels to 1 and every player will render as the default model for that particular class - Sarge for Earth, Doom for Doom, Ranger for Slipgate, Grunt for Strogg, and Visor for Arena.  This may help if you're having trouble determining who belongs to what class during play.  Some other settings that may help:

r_overbrightbits - should be set to 1, 2 max.  I wouldn't go too high with this number.
r_mapoverbrightbits - should be set to 2.  You can set to 3 if you need some extra light on a map.
r_picmip - should really be no higher than 1 or 2 max.  Anyone who plays with r_picmip 5 needs the kind of help only a straight jacket can provide.

Remember all these settings require a vid_restart to be effective.  You can always compare screenshots of your in-game appearance to our image gallery as well.  Maybe if you attached a screeny of what you're seeing it would allow us to better help you tweak some settings?

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #51 on: 2004-08-26, 00:29 »

Don't forget:

r_intensity 2

=]
Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #52 on: 2004-08-26, 01:28 »

There's also cg_playerColorLevel
Setting that to 192 will make Ranger's custom shirt and pants color readily visible. Slipgate - Smile
Although, I can't remember if that's set to 192 by default for 99e.

FluSyndrome

Tank Commander

« Reply #53 on: 2004-09-16, 01:49 »

I am sorry for the late post, I had been too busy playing DOOM3 and mapping to notice there had been an upgrade, and I guess you could call it an upgrade, but it surely feels like a brand new game, and a real good one at that, it exceeded any expectations I had for this mod. Tremendous work, responsive weapons and awsome animation on the powerups. I have been playing it with the bots and have no complaints or even suggestions, it blew me away. Nice work.
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #54 on: 2004-09-23, 20:11 »

Quote from: shambler
I think I have found a glitch or something in 99e. But maybe it was always there...

My next weapon key is E. if I press it  and hold it down, the weapons cycle as mega speed. if you then press the fire button, you get  the most amazing effect. you rotate between weapons and fire each in turn, kind of.
That's not a bug. Q1 had instant weapon switching. And that trick is cool, but not even remotely useful.

And the guy who made the Fragtown map is FluSyndrome. He's back in action, with a new hangar map (see Laced Neptune).
« Last Edit: 2004-09-23, 20:14 by Assamite » Logged
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #55 on: 2004-10-10, 06:16 »

It would be nice to have a class_teamheadmodel command. For the sake of being unique, I use custom headmodels for all my classes, and would like the retain the head configurations in team games.

Also, it would be nice if you could pick between different colored skins for each team. i.e. since there's various blue colors for strogg and doom (like light blue, medium blue, dark blue), it would be nice if you could choose between them to stand out from your team mates instead of being stuck with the same generic skin as everyone else.

Also, for the last time, what the hell is up with Leemon's strogg skins? :p
« Last Edit: 2004-10-10, 06:50 by Gnam » Logged
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #56 on: 2004-10-10, 09:10 »

Quote from: Gnam
It would be nice to have a class_teamheadmodel command. For the sake of being unique, I use custom headmodels for all my classes, and would like the retain the head configurations in team games.
Headmodels were primarily a "feature" that resulted from Team Arena's model scheme and caused some unhappy complexity in the Q3 model parsing code.  I'm not too keen on tinkering with complex areas if they work fine unless it's really necessary.  You can use the team_headmodel command to set your headmodel manually from within your class.cfg files, but I have no further plans for this area of the code outside of bug fixes until the new player animation stances are written in.

Also, it would be nice if you could pick between different colored skins for each team. i.e. since there's various blue colors for strogg and doom (like light blue, medium blue, dark blue), it would be nice if you could choose between them to stand out from your team mates instead of being stuck with the same generic skin as everyone else.
Unfortunately the code only recognizes one skin per team.  Again, this is an extremely touchy area of the code since it involves precaching and forcing of specific skins.  I don't see this as happening since debugging it would be a nightmare.  It works right now, and I do NOT want to screw it up.

Also, for the last time, what the hell is up with Leemon's strogg skins?
The last time I inquired he still hasn't finished them.

Gnam

Makron

« Reply #57 on: 2004-10-10, 09:29 »

there's a team headmodel command? That's what I was looking for but it wasn't in the manual so I thought it didn't exist.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #58 on: 2004-10-11, 04:22 »

It's not Gen-specific, it's a Q3 command.

mpb

« Reply #59 on: 2004-10-17, 18:15 »

Hi everyone I got this mod yesterday and have so far played it online for a total of roughly five hours, its very good with some maps looking even better than 3w/ra maps. I was impressed with the slipgate class as it seems very accurate even having little touches I noticed were missing from the mod classic quake arena.

I have two gripes though. For some reason I can't start my own server and get this error message: Hunk_Alloc failed on 436896

Also I have noticed most euro servers are always empty and usa ones are usually busy. I have so far only played in usa ones but as I am in uk I get pings of 150ish. Just ask Lena/Shambler/Crioknight lol.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: