2024-04-27, 19:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Feedback Thread: 99e (Let us know what you think!)  (Read 32411 times)
death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #80 on: 2005-01-16, 01:51 »

Hey wassup been away for a while and wow Thumbs up! nice job guys.I was wondering if any of you have played the PS2 version of Q3 before?It had a game mode called possesion.Where you had to capture a flag and hold on to it for as long as possible.Any plans on putting it on Generations?

Oh yeah    :rules:

DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #81 on: 2005-01-30, 15:45 »

Hello everybody!
First of all, Generations ROCKS. :) I played the Quake 2 mod before it was cancelled, and always regretted that  they never finished it, it was so cool. So imagine my surprise when, checking if there were any Matrix mods for Quake 3, I came upon a new Generations mod. :P
And this one is far better than the old one... it's wonderfully playable, captures the 'soul' of the old games well, and is just a ton of fun. I really think you did an amazing job, this is a worthy tribute to Wolfenstein, DOOM and Quake. :)

I have a few questions/suggestions... ;)

First of all, any chance of at least one Wolfenstein map being included? :) I know they're rather dull and square compared to DOOM and Quake maps, but I think Wolfenstein deserves at least one map of its own, right? ;)
Oh, and more DOOM / DOOM 2 maps would be kick-ass, too. :P I was very happy to find 3 (4? I may have missed one) DOOM maps remade in Generations, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more. :P

And a question, how do I give orders to bots in teamplay/CTF games? That menu seems to have disappeared completely. Or perhaps this feature isn't available (yet) in Generations? It sure would make CTF with bots more fun.

I know you guys walk a thin line between staying true to the original games, and not infringing on copyrights, but do you really think you'll get sued if you give the Earth Soldier in the logo orange-ish hair? ;) When I first saw the title picture I was like "DOOM guy! Quake 1 guy! Quake 2 guy! Quake 3 guy! But who's that? Must be the Wolfenstein guy then..".
Also, but maybe I'm whining now, I really liked the Rocket Launcher sound in Quake 2. It made firing that thing a lot more gratifying. ;) I know you cannot use the original sound, but I think the current Generations sound doesn't do it justice.  Well, I'm just giving my opinion. ;)

Oh, and I've also got two questions about Quake 3. So this doesn't really have much to do with Generations, but I'm sure somebody here can answer them for me. ;)
First of all, weapon switching. I can only get it to switch never, or always, even if I have a Rocket Launcher and walk over a Chainsaw. Neither mode is really useful. How do you guys do this?
Secondly, how do I change the bot skill? I seem to remember you could change the skill with a console command, and even set it to non-integer values, like 3.5. But I can't find that command, neither skill nor botskill nor bot_skill exist. Does anybody know?

Ok well anyways, kick-ass mod!!! I love it! Keep up the good work and such, and thanks for this wonderful mod. :)
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #82 on: 2005-01-30, 16:18 »

Quote from: DOOM_er
Hello everybody!
First of all, Generations ROCKS. Slipgate - Smile  ...I came upon a new Generations mod. Slipgate - Tongue
And this one is far better than the old one... it's wonderfully playable, captures the 'soul' of the old games well, and is just a ton of fun. I really think you did an amazing job, this is a worthy tribute to Wolfenstein, DOOM and Quake. Slipgate - Smile
We love hearing that, it means we're on the right track! <3

Now, to answer your questions in turn:
First of all, any chance of at least one Wolfenstein map being included?
Actually, FluSyndrome is working on a Wolfenstein-themed map, and it's coming along fantastic.  Check our Laced Neptune board for details there.  I have to finish up a knight model he needs for decoration, but he's posted a public beta version that you can take for a test run.
Oh, and more DOOM / DOOM 2 maps would be kick-ass, too. Slipgate - Tongue I was very happy to find 3 (4? I may have missed one) DOOM maps remade in Generations, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more.
Good themed maps are something we're always looking for.  We add them as we find them and obtain permissions, and we have a few resident mappers as well.  Maps take time, so look for more themed, remake and remix maps in the future.
And a question, how do I give orders to bots in teamplay/CTF games? That menu seems to have disappeared completely. Or perhaps this feature isn't available (yet) in Generations? It sure would make CTF with bots more fun.
We have a redesign in mind for the menu later.  Bot orders will be included at that point.  You can, in the mean time, tell the bot what to do through team chat commands.  For instance, if you want Ranger to defend the base, use your teamsay key and type "Ranger defend the base".  If you want him to get the flag, type "Ranger get the flag".  You can even tell them to kill a specific opponent!
I know you guys walk a thin line between staying true to the original games, and not infringing on copyrights, but do you really think you'll get sued if you give the Earth Soldier in the logo orange-ish hair?
You've not seen our OLD skin for Blaze.  The orange hair looked... well, that's why we reskinned him. Slipgate - Wink
'm whining now, I really liked the Rocket Launcher sound in Quake 2. It made firing that thing a lot more gratifying. Slipgate - Wink I know you cannot use the original sound, but I think the current Generations sound doesn't do it justice.
Aye, good sounds are VERY difficult to come by.  A lot of our current sounds are considered "placeholders" until we can run across a good sound engineer that can faithfully reproduce the old-style sounds.  We came close with the Doom rockets and plasma, but beyond that we're not afraid to admit we need help in this area.
First of all, weapon switching. I can only get it to switch never, or always, even if I have a Rocket Launcher and walk over a Chainsaw. Neither mode is really useful. How do you guys do this?
The cg_autoswitch command in Quake 3 is kind of stupid right now.  It doesn't know what gun is "better" than another.  We're planning some improvements there, but they won't show up for a while.  If running over weapons is causing unwanted switching I'd err on the side of turning it off and using weapon binds to manually choose your best fighting guns.  The menus for this are currently broken, so check out the earth.cfg, doom.cfg, slipgate.cfg, strogg.cfg, and arena.cfg files in your "generations" folder if you want to make some custom binds.  Weaponnext and Weaponprev (mousewheel) works for all classes as well.
Secondly, how do I change the bot skill? I seem to remember you could change the skill with a console command, and even set it to non-integer values, like 3.5. But I can't find that command, neither skill nor botskill nor bot_skill exist. Does anybody know?
G_spskill is what you're looking for if you're using bot_minplayers to add bots to the level or do not specify a skill when using the addbot command.  If you add a bot manually of any skill with the following syntax:  addbot botname skill.  So to add a skill 3 "Doom" bot, you'd type: /addbot Doom 3
Ok well anyways, kick-ass mod!!! I love it! Keep up the good work and such, and thanks for this wonderful mod. Slipgate - Smile
Thanks for the feedback!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #83 on: 2005-01-30, 17:39 »

Now that modelling and skinning work is nearly done, I have a right mind to get my ass working on some maps. That would include some remakes of Doom and Wolf3d maps, indeed, because we're lacking golden oldies ;]

Autoswitching has never been my favourite way to go about things. I manually bind everything, which allows one to be more precise and aware of one's arsenal. Once you've got the keys memorized, it's all good.

Thanks for posting mate :]

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
DOOM_er

Light Guard

« Reply #84 on: 2005-02-03, 02:02 »

Ok, well, I've been playing a LOT of Generations the last couple of days, and I've got a few more things I noticed...

First, I'm a bit worried about the Quake 1 guy. His Nailgun just doesn't seem to pack the punch it did back in Q1, not even the Super version. It used to be "Let's see how tough he is with a face full of nails!!", but now I usually lose the duel using that gun. Maybe the nails should be faster or stronger?
I don't score many frags with the Thunderbolt either, it pales a bit in comparison to the BFGs, I think.
Although it's also very possible it's just me, and you all think the weapons are fine. ;P Maybe I just need to practice with the Q1 guy more. :)

Another thing, the Q3 guy's BFG... I do think your version is cooler, with the sparkles, oooh nice! But shouldn't the game default to the 'real' Q3 BFG, so that dmflags 1024 = enable new Q3 BFG? :) I think it would be more, well, authentic that way. Like it or not, that gun is the Q3 guy's BFG. Again, just my opinion though. ;)

Oh, and the starting weapons. I noticed both Wolfie and Q2 guy respawn with 2 non-melee weapons. (Well, so do the DOOM and Q1 guy, but they don't start with ammo for the second weapon.)
Wouldn't it make more sense if the Wolfenstein and Q2 guy respawn with the superior weapon in hand? Why use the Blaster when you've got a Machinegun?
Ok, I admit, it's a small thing, and might be more trouble implementing than it's worth. ;)

I know you're not focussing on the bots yet, but when you do get to improving them (which I hope you will, I play botmatches often), perhaps you should instruct them not to shoot at people who are spawn protected. Not only is it pointless, it wastes ammo and gives away their position, plus leaves them vunerable to other attacks.
But I play with spawnprotection set to 6 seconds, I think the default setting is 3 or so, so I guess it'd be less of a problem then. ;)

And I had an idea... I think it would be neat if Generations kept a record of how much time you've spent as each class, or just how often you've played as them. That way, after months of playing you can see exactly which classes deserve a bit more of your attention, and how many hours you've spent on the fine game. :D
But I realise this might be extremely tricky to implement. :)

And that's about it, nothing really concrete, but that's just because your mod is so damn good already. ;P

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the weapon switching! I turned the automatic weapon switching off, and did a 'bind q nextweapon'. It's still not perfect but it works a lot better. ;)
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #85 on: 2005-02-03, 02:32 »

Ok, well, I've been playing a LOT of Generations the last couple of days, and I've got a few more things I noticed...

First, I'm a bit worried about the Quake 1 guy. His Nailgun just doesn't seem to pack the punch it did back in Q1, not even the Super version. It used to be "Let's see how tough he is with a face full of nails!!", but now I usually lose the duel using that gun. Maybe the nails should be faster or stronger?
I don't score many frags with the Thunderbolt either, it pales a bit in comparison to the BFGs, I think.
Although it's also very possible it's just me, and you all think the weapons are fine. ;P Maybe I just need to practice with the Q1 guy more. Slipgate - Smile

In the Q3 universe, things move differently. Rooms are larger and with Doom's speed, nails will be less effective in all possible ways. They were harder to use at first, but after some tweaks they're acceptable for every day use (much like Strogg's hyper). It definately takes some getting used to.
The shaft is tricky and hard to get use straight away. You have to get a feel for the aim -- it's very precise and the timing may seem awkward at first. You may feel you're tracing an opponent flawlessly, while in fact you're lagging behind a bit, which results in 0 hits. You'll probably get the hang of it later -- even so, it'll always be a bitch to shaft at higher ping or with lag spikes.

Another thing, the Q3 guy's BFG... I do think your version is cooler, with the sparkles, oooh nice! But shouldn't the game default to the 'real' Q3 BFG, so that dmflags 1024 = enable new Q3 BFG? Slipgate - Smile I think it would be more, well, authentic that way. Like it or not, that gun is the Q3 guy's BFG. Again, just my opinion though. Slipgate - Wink

No way, Jose. Even though it is more 'authentic', it destroys the game. Too many people are lured too easily into using cheap tricks to win. For example, now our Earth class is overly powerful, resulting in some players going Earth only, just for the ease of winning (no not you, random person stating you aren't one of those. not you). The old BFG is just a bagful of free frags. We've confidently moved that into the realm of things to avoid by default.

Oh, and the starting weapons. I noticed both Wolfie and Q2 guy respawn with 2 non-melee weapons. (Well, so do the DOOM and Q1 guy, but they don't start with ammo for the second weapon.)
Wouldn't it make more sense if the Wolfenstein and Q2 guy respawn with the superior weapon in hand? Why use the Blaster when you've got a Machinegun?
Ok, I admit, it's a small thing, and might be more trouble implementing than it's worth. Slipgate - Wink

The wolf-guy has shared ammo, and too many weapons to make the MP40 a spawnable weapon. The latter goes for Strogg Troopers, too.
Spawn behaviour is now based on spawn behaviour in the original games. I think this is a worthy point you bring up, since I actually know semi-newbies that forget to switch at times. Arguably it would reduce use of the spawn weapons, and would be averse to the nostalgia-effect. At the same time it would streamline combat. It may be up for discussion.

I know you're not focussing on the bots yet, but when you do get to improving them (which I hope you will, I play botmatches often), perhaps you should instruct them not to shoot at people who are spawn protected. Not only is it pointless, it wastes ammo and gives away their position, plus leaves them vunerable to other attacks.
But I play with spawnprotection set to 6 seconds, I think the default setting is 3 or so, so I guess it'd be less of a problem then. Slipgate - Wink

And I had an idea... I think it would be neat if Generations kept a record of how much time you've spent as each class, or just how often you've played as them. That way, after months of playing you can see exactly which classes deserve a bit more of your attention, and how many hours you've spent on the fine game. Slipgate - Laugh
But I realise this might be extremely tricky to implement. Slipgate - Smile

This sort of falls in line with previous discussions about statistics of all kinds. I've been in favour, but several team members strongly oppose to the general idea. It also means a lot of work that won't directly benefit the average player, making it less interesting for our short-term plans...
Both points above should be noted for reference in later discussions. :]

And that's about it, nothing really concrete, but that's just because your mod is so damn good already. ;P

Oh, and thanks for the tip about the weapon switching! I turned the automatic weapon switching off, and did a 'bind q nextweapon'. It's still not perfect but it works a lot better. Slipgate - Wink

Good, good!
We always like to hear positive stuff about the mod, and you're certainly welcome to get a bit of a crowd going in saturday's games and so on ;]
« Last Edit: 2005-02-03, 02:34 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #86 on: 2005-02-06, 08:18 »

.99e is history, .99f reigns, so this thread is closed.  Look for a new thread to replace it!

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: