2024-04-28, 00:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Quake IV info (and pictures of course)  (Read 11915 times)
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #20 on: 2004-10-04, 22:18 »

Constant ambush is outmanuvering and predicting your opponent - a very strong offensive tactic that is highly adaptable, even to situations that look nothing like camping. Sitting (or lurking) in one key area most of the game is camping. Sniping is like an ambush, except at long range.
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #21 on: 2004-10-04, 22:20 »

Sniping is shooting someone from a faraway or hidden location. Camping is sitting around in one spot because you're either afraid to move, or not competent enought to know where to go. A good sniper doesn't camp because he knows his location could be figured out if he stays in one spot, he takes his shot, and moves on before he is spotted to take a shot from another location and keep his targets guessing.

As for D3 being all about ambush instead of direct combat, to quote what I said in the D3 thread:
at it's core Doom 3 MP is still just Quake with "clip" reloading and destructable lights. It depends on the players a lot, but often times it's just as fast paced as any other DM shooter because if you try to creep around, you're just not going to get the weapons and powerups as fast as another guy of the same skill who's going full speed. Stealth and using the dark works in certain instances, but in most cases, when you enter a dark room, its better to just run blindly through hoping if anyone shoots at you in the dark you can just swallow the damage and return fire with your rocket launcher. This is made even more so by the fact that most "creepers" on public servers are n00bs with chainguns, and the windup noise gives their position away and allows you to snuff them with a SG or RL blast before their gun even starts to fire.
Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #22 on: 2004-10-04, 23:50 »

I'll have to disagree with that quote. Doom3 MP is all about the RL and the CG - everything else is next to worthless. The only reason that the gameplay is somewhat speedy is because movement is almost exactly like Quake3 movement - bunny-hopping included.

I didn't like Doom3 because I felt the game didn't offer anything unique - it was a (pretty) rehash of many elements found in the other id software FPS titles. Quake 4 is looking the same way as well, and I'm not psyched about it.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #23 on: 2004-10-05, 02:18 »

Quote from: Naoscaire
The bird of prey has obviously never actually hunted before.
A rather presumptuous statement, and one that's very much incorrect.  You might also do well to pay attention to the fact that we're speaking in the context of online gaming, not the catching and killing of food.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #24 on: 2004-10-05, 16:15 »

The bird of prey has obviously never actually hunted before

maybe he hunts like a chicken after worms ....
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #25 on: 2004-10-05, 17:08 »

I'll have to disagree with that quote. Doom3 MP is all about the RL and the CG - everything else is next to worthless.
Fist > *  :rules:

Slipgate - Off Topic
« Last Edit: 2004-10-05, 17:09 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #26 on: 2004-10-05, 21:19 »

wtf , who says something like that about doom , the plasma gun is very good to blind people , the chainsaw is just so awesome to see people keep trying to hop away from you while your using it .

and the double barreled shotty is my favorite , 1 moment there running around , the next moment there just shreds against the wall .
Gnam

Makron

« Reply #27 on: 2004-10-06, 00:58 »

Quote from: Tekhead
I'll have to disagree with that quote. Doom3 MP is all about the RL and the CG - everything else is next to worthless. The only reason that the gameplay is somewhat speedy is because movement is almost exactly like Quake3 movement - bunny-hopping included.

I didn't like Doom3 because I felt the game didn't offer anything unique - it was a (pretty) rehash of many elements found in the other id software FPS titles. Quake 4 is looking the same way as well, and I'm not psyched about it.
What's CG?

Anyway, I think that the fact that Doom 3 is 'about the RL' (and whatever the cg is) makes it less of a 'hide and ambush' game. If you waste time hiding, someone else is going to get the RL first.  This also applies to the soulsphere, berserk, invis, and armor. Hiding and shooting someone in the back as they go by is not going to work on a stacked player.

Also, I wouldn't say everything but the RL is worthless. The SG is the next best thing in terms of power, especially since D3's areas are so small. The plasma gun is good for mopping up weak players fighting amongst themselves. The chaingun is almost unstoppable if you have berserk. Grenades, while weak, are still good for attacking around corners.
« Last Edit: 2004-10-06, 01:04 by Gnam » Logged
Hedhunta

Chton

« Reply #28 on: 2004-10-06, 01:11 »

Quote from: Phoenix
You better check the temperature in Hell first.
looks pretty cold to me.. :-P

Tekhead

Elite

« Reply #29 on: 2004-10-06, 03:05 »

CG  = Chaingun

The Doom3 PG looks and sounds abseloutely awesome (my favorite weapon to use in SP - sometimes I fire one round just to hear it reloading), but the projectiles are far too slow to be effective in MP.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: