2024-04-16, 13:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Items - Sneak Preview ((I'm back from my little hibernation))  (Read 27510 times)
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #40 on: 2003-05-27, 00:46 »

Yeah, enough of gummy bears. I'd rather be shot with Nerds. So, back to the real topic, how many earth items are done? Will there be any crowns, treasure boxes, or crosses? If you bring those back, what will they do? Neither Quake3 nor Generations has a score like that, so what would the earth treasures do in this mod?????
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #41 on: 2003-05-27, 14:00 »

There are no treasure items. Building in a score thing (1million treasure points == frags++) would be fun/cool ofcourse, but it is kind of weird. Also - which items would turn into treasures? The ammo? The weapons? Powerups? I don't think players would want to give those up, just to collect some gold (and inevitably die doing so).

I'm working on items in 3 tiers.
1 - ammo + small armor + health items
2 - armors + megahealth replacement
3 - (real) powerups

DooM and Earth have all their tier1 items done. Strogg's stuff is really getting there.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
games keeper

Elite

« Reply #42 on: 2003-05-27, 16:10 »

I would feel 100% if I found a golden cross . Slipgate - Smile
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #43 on: 2003-05-28, 07:59 »

Games, the cross was the least valuable of the whole bunch. Wouldn't you rather pick up a crown? Since there's really no way to put that stuff in there it doesn't make much difference. The funny thing is, except for the gold, Wolfenstein lacked a lot of stuff that showed up in later games. There was only one kind of ammo, 4 weapons total, dog food, dinner plates, and first aid boxes. Doom had a lot more stuff. Quake had an 8th weapon. Quake2 had a big bunch of stuff. Because this is an Arena mod we're stuck with the limit of things Arena allows. What will the Earth powerups look like? Since their was no haste, quad damage, invisibility, or regeneration that leaves a lot of freedom to make models for them. Slipgate - Smile
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2003-05-28, 09:09 »

What was, and was not, in the actual Wolfenstein3D isn't much to go on when you're dealing with Generations. In case you hadn't noticed, we do not have the exact amount of items/weapons as the original game. Generations has a flame thrower, a sniper rifle and handgrenades. That makes for a total of 7 weapons (not counting dual gats as a separate weapon here).
All the weapons have their own ammo-types, and bullets can be found in 3-size varieties. And, last but certainly not least, Earth DOES have powerups. Fully adjusted to fit earthly themes and most importantly: they add to the balance of the game.

As for how they'll look: we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'm pretty certain a blue orbb with B.J.'s face in it comes in the picture somewhere, though...

EDIT: Arno's got a point there. Although the armor shard is already modeled and skinned (as you can see in the picture) and I can't really afford to drop and redo anything right now.
« Last Edit: 2003-05-28, 09:11 by Tabun » Logged

Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #45 on: 2003-05-28, 09:09 »

Because Wolfenstein had no items for armor, we used treasure items instead in SOG. So picking up treasures would give you more armor. I think it would be cool for GenArena if you replace the armor shards with those golden crosses. It would look very authentic.
Vadertime

CyberDemon

« Reply #46 on: 2003-05-31, 05:29 »

Maybe but Tabun's already got Nazi style helmets made for that. Ask him if he replaced the yellow and red vests yet. Maybe they could be the cross and the crown.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #47 on: 2003-05-31, 11:15 »

BTW - I do have the grenade crate modelled now, but haven't skinned it.. in favor of this puppy:

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #48 on: 2003-05-31, 15:46 »

yay q2 armor shard!
Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #49 on: 2003-06-01, 13:13 »

its better than the q2e attempts ive seen, ohh the niceness

must have more, greed overwhelming...

*Daedalus merges with Icarus, transforms into Helios and attempts to take over the world
« Last Edit: 2003-06-01, 13:38 by Daedalus » Logged
Arno

Cacodemon

« Reply #50 on: 2003-06-01, 14:10 »

NICE!!!!   B)

Question (sorry if this has been asked before): will all these new item models appear in version 99c? I hope so, as they give each class a more unique look and feel.

And will the skins be released as JPG's, as opposed to TGA's? That might keep the filesize a bit in control.
« Last Edit: 2003-06-01, 14:10 by Arno » Logged
ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #51 on: 2003-06-01, 15:26 »

Quote from: Arno
NICE!!!!   B)

Question (sorry if this has been asked before): will all these new item models appear in version 99c? I hope so, as they give each class a more unique look and feel.

And will the skins be released as JPG's, as opposed to TGA's? That might keep the filesize a bit in control.
We hope for all the items that are done to be in 99c

And we've been talking about converting all our .tga's to jpgs anyway. There's just a LOT of TGA files to convert, and some of them have fancy stuff like alpha channels and the like
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #52 on: 2003-06-01, 22:37 »

For those who've missed it.. the earth grenade ammo is done too.
So now all earth ammo items are really done (I'd forgotten about the pineapples for a bit, there Slipgate - Smile)

Just got the grenade model done, so that leaves only the skins for strogg...

OmEgA-X

Beta Tester
Hans Grosse

« Reply #53 on: 2003-06-02, 00:47 »

awesome work tab! Thumbs up! and im sure im not the only one eagerly awaiting the strogg stuff =). also, this question might have been answered, so dont kill me! i was wondering..are the slipgater's weps/stuff gonna get an overhaul like earth's? i hope  Doom - Huh?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2003-06-02, 01:55 »

earth's weapons didn't get an overhaul - it was a simple matter of replacing placeholders with the real thing ™.
Nevertheless, a do-over of a big part of slipgate's arsenal is planned.. :]

Lunatic Guy

« Reply #55 on: 2003-06-02, 02:01 »

Tab, you really can do very nice skins. But what I'm wondering is that how do you even skin those things? Like, do you start everything totally new from a new piece of white blank in a paint program?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #56 on: 2003-06-02, 04:36 »

Tabun's created not just the skins, but the actual models for the ammo items.  He's officially a modeler now as well as a skinner, which is a tremendous relief for me.  This has sped our development time dramatically, and is making a serious possibility of these ammo boxes going in for 99c.  And yes, after 99c we do intend to redo several of the Slipgate weapons to be more Quake-ish.  As for how he makes the skins... well, I'd say he's got a magic wand tucked away somewhere, or else a "Potion of l337ness." Slipgate - Wink

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #57 on: 2003-06-02, 12:11 »

This is how I work, lunatic:

1. I model boxes, cylinders, spheres or planes, depending on the item to be made, using 3d Studio Max.
2. I convert them to editable poly, and use a wide variety of meshtools to edit the above shapes, until I like what I see
3. I unwrap the sucker - for an example, see this. This means I decide what the skinmap looks like, how it stretches and where seams are.
4. I build an MD3 and two Textporter TGA's (one that outlines everything in white on black, and one that shows the face normals using colours (- this helps me remember what was what, and where)). An example (of the strogg grenade) can be found here
5. I load the TGA's in Photoshop, overlaying the white-on-black mesh (always stays on top (but not always visible), so I can still see the mesh when I paint over the background, if I want to).
6. I pick an area on the map that I feel like doing first, and fill it with the most appropriate colour (for, say, the strogg bulletbox that would be brown).
I accentuate the edges and generally paint in details like scratches, highlights etc.
7. I use texture overlays to get the desired gritty effect (this usually involves a lot of browsing in my self-composed texture library).
8. I make logo's, text and other extras, overlaying them on the right parts.
This includes the ocasional adjustment layer (brightness/contrast or a masked desaturation layer for that paint-chip effect).
9. Continually checking what the skin looks like in Npherno's MD3-viewer, I keep painting until I'm happy with the result.

This is, globally, how I work(ed) on the items. Especially steps 6 to 9 happen in a strange chaotic blur of actions that just seem right. Hard to explain what my exact strategy is in this. Some days it just all falls in place, and other days things fall apart.
Also, I start out with a black canvas, always - It's easier on the eyes for me :]

For skinner/modelers like me, there are other strategies, like painting a full skinmap in Photoshop first, and unwrapping the model to fit that design. I've never even tried to do that (other than small adjustments in rare cases) - It's too restrictive on the model and quality of the unwrap IMO.

Here's some links to stuff:
The way I used to paint, before I had a tablet, and YEARS ago - I totally revised my painting style, and work directly in colour now, but you may still get an idea of general fleshing out.
A zipped slideshow movie that shows how I made a 2d art piece - This was not too long ago (about a year, I think) and shows you more of the way I work nowadays. I think you need the TSCC codec but I'm not sure Slipgate - Smile

There. Enough typing for this morning - time for breakfast :]
« Last Edit: 2003-06-02, 12:26 by Tabun » Logged

Lunatic Guy

« Reply #58 on: 2003-06-02, 23:47 »

"I accentuate the edges and generally paint in details like scratches, highlights etc."

"7. I use texture overlays to get the desired gritty effect (this usually involves a lot of browsing in my self-composed texture library).
8. I make logo's, text and other extras, overlaying them on the right parts.
This includes the ocasional adjustment layer (brightness/contrast or a masked desaturation layer for that paint-chip effect)."

You mean that you completely draw the skins, like the logos and the textures, using Photoshop's features?
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #59 on: 2003-06-03, 01:14 »

what he's saying is, he paints and uses the filters well. Texture filters are very nice if you know how to use them, I'm personally fairly clueless, so it takes awhile for me to do something like that. But the big idea is to start with a base, and add layers for different effects.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: