2024-04-28, 00:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: More thieving (People will never learn.)  (Read 21764 times)
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #40 on: 2005-06-12, 20:49 »

"Thread existiche nicht"

You think they chickened out?
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #41 on: 2005-06-12, 20:55 »

Nope. They seem to have disabled their forum and comments (on the newspage), since they probably got sick of flames posted by our fans. And just when I was about to type up an apology for not being able to contain the latter.. Oh well, can't be helped.

We'll see how it turns out, and what they'll come up with. As long as somewhere along the road those guys are reminded of the fact that none of the WH team members throws around, acknowledges or condones laden terms and insults. Perhaps then they might be reasoned with eventually. We can only hope, ofcourse. (just like we can only hope that they can be reasoned with under other circumstances)

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #42 on: 2005-06-12, 22:01 »

Tab:  The "go home" remark was a blatant dig at Americans for the Iraq war in response to the Nazi comments.  I guess they're assuming all the Gen team is American, and since you're Dutch and your skinwork is part of what's being swiped I was just thinking, go home from where?  The Dutch aren't in Iraq last I checked.  Slipgate - Laugh

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #43 on: 2005-06-12, 22:40 »

*sigh*

I'm starting to wonder if you should just post those in the team forum.

I think we need some rules of conduct for the thieving bit. It's really hard to get anything done if the fans break out the torches and pitchforks. Come on guys, we know you like it, but PLEASE listen to team members when they say we'll handle it.

If I remember right, blatant trolling is a bannable offense, so keep it clean people.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #44 on: 2005-06-13, 02:34 »

Gotcha Pho.

ConfusedUs

Elite (2k+)

« Reply #45 on: 2005-06-13, 04:17 »

Quote from: Angst
If I remember right, blatant trolling is a bannable offense, so keep it clean people.
I will enforce this in the future. I don't care who you are.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #46 on: 2005-06-13, 04:34 »

We'll I'm partly to blame for posting this (when I was angry) in the public Generations forum. Although I would like to keep our fans posted of this kind of thing, it is (in general) probably wiser to contact and discuss the matter with the offender(s), before doing so.
Apparantly, I also wasn't clear enough when I stated what I did not want to happen, in my first post. This will also not happen again.

For those who flamed: I groveled and apologized on your behalf, to someone who normally should have been apologizing to us. Just take a second to think about that, will you?

In the meantime, I have received an email from the DH webmaster. It clears a few things up, and it seems to be one of those cases where a freelancer (hopping mods) could not be trusted, and who's submissions weren't or couldn't be checked for being rips. Until further notice, the screens (links) have been taken down, as you've noticed.

A heads up for the team members reading this: the email correspondance is posted in the internal team forum.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #47 on: 2005-06-13, 06:55 »

Yes, and the webmaster was very upfront and cordial with us in that letter.  See, this is why running off half-cocked and flaming someone is a bad idea.  Misunderstandings cause very bad blood and strife where it's not necessary.  It's better to get the facts before taking action.  You can't put the bullet back in the gun once it leaves the barrel.

For future reference, if anyone runs across what they think may be material of ours then PM either Tabun, ConfusedUs, Makou, LeeMon, or myself, or even better, PM all four of us (use the carbon copy feature).  It will give us a heads up and we can handle it directly, and we will be very grateful.  It's better than posting it publicly and risking a repeat of this debacle.
 Slipgate - Smile

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #48 on: 2005-06-13, 15:12 »

Oh man guys...

/me slaps forehead

Why does this happen every time? Right at the very beginning of this thread it said NOT to do it but like little children yall do it anyway... Yall need to leave these things to the WHS Team. They know how to solve these things quickly and with little bad blood. The comment on the nazi's... childish. Flame me if you want but I'm part (If not mostly) German. I lived in Germany for 4 years in the 80's. Speak a little German also. Does that make me a Nazi? Hmm, I think you should think before you speak. You know who you are... Sorry WHS Team but had to get that rant out of my system. I think this whole situation has gotten everyones nerves twisted and could have gone alot smoother if other members would read and comply with the ENTIRE post before going off half cocked! Very disappointed.

-EDIT-
Yes the PM idea would be best IMO.
« Last Edit: 2005-06-13, 15:13 by death_stalker » Logged

Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #49 on: 2005-06-13, 16:24 »

I think it's a shame that some people can't control themselves when this things happen. I think that it was bad that WHS crew had to appologize for the comments of other people. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE COURAGE TO APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR WORDS, instead you left the blames on WHS team AND you left the apologising responsability to WHS crew. The least you could do is apologize to WHS...

Next time discuss this kind of stuff internally. After solving the problem, post it to everyone.

death_stalker

Makron

« Reply #50 on: 2005-06-13, 16:36 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] I think it's a shame that some people can't control themselves when this things happen. I think that it was bad that WHS crew had to appologize for the comments of other people. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE COURAGE TO APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR WORDS, instead you left the blames on WHS team AND you left the apologising responsability to WHS crew. The least you could do is apologize to WHS...

Next time discuss this kind of stuff internally. After solving the problem, post it to everyone.
Yes I agree. I kept out of it, and tried to keep my mouth shut in the topic but things just got so out of hand and just plain offensive. Well that's all  from me.

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #51 on: 2005-06-13, 16:58 »

People just love a good flame war when they think they have the moral high ground. The nazi comment was unfortunet because it gave them cause to attack wirehead back. Of course they could have just been called thieving, lying dirt bags and that would have been just as good as nazis.
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #52 on: 2005-06-13, 17:43 »

There must be someway of inserting text into the code so wirehead can Prove that the stuff is theirs.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #53 on: 2005-06-13, 18:03 »

The fact that I have several gigabytes of "in progress" model saves, and Tab has the original .psd files for his skins is more than sufficient if there were any legal question.  The fact that I possess the source code and several gigabytes of "in progress" saves and archives is also more than enough to prove in court if we ever had to.

Look, the main thing is to keep things on the level.  Woodsman is demonstrating exactly the sort of abrasiveness that's not needed.  Namecalling does not resolve the problem, which in this case was a site owner not knowing he had models that someone else had filched from our project.  It only inflames tempers and breeds resentment, which is why it needs to be avoided when confronting someone who has content that is ours.  Cool heads prevail in this sort of thing.  I know, ironic coming from a fire bird, but it's the truth.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2005-06-13, 18:31 »

Shamb: at this time we don't have to prove anything (although if we had any need for it, Pho's right on the money), since the leader/contact fellow of the DH team has already informed us that a freelance 'modeler' used ripped artwork without informing them. His name was 'Sheppard' or something like that, so if you know someone that uses that handle and could be the perpetrator, check it out. The point is, they've acknowledged our claim and need no further evidence.

For other situations, we can for both models and skins rely on 'ruling out coincidence', by comparing things vertex-by-vertex, pixel-by-pixel, etc. if a complex (section of an) image is exactly identical to some other work, you have a convincing argument for them being the same. After that, the work-in-progress files are perfect evidence for it being yours (especially if you have the skill to prove that you can make comparative works again).
« Last Edit: 2005-06-13, 18:35 by Tabun » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #55 on: 2005-06-13, 19:57 »

Flaming? Not guilty, yer honour. Though I have to admit I was tempted ...

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #56 on: 2005-06-13, 20:37 »

me too, but i didn't

you just have to show restaint in such matters
Moshman

Beta Tester
Vadrigar

Yarg!

« Reply #57 on: 2005-06-13, 21:54 »

*sigh*
I didn't see the unnessesary post about Nazis until now.
I'm german I guess that makes me A FREAKING NAZI!!!
Give me a break flamers, acting all gung ho and calling people nazis because their german is quite stupid and offensive. We just demostrated our immaturity, and made ourselves look like fools. Freaking thanks a hunka zit hair alot. Oh and because I'm a german nazi snot head, I guess that automatically makes me an enemy of the jews.

[/edit] Excuse my outburst but that just pissed me off. [/edit]
« Last Edit: 2005-06-13, 22:07 by Little Washu » Logged

Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #58 on: 2005-06-13, 22:36 »

the nazi's were only one faction of the german society  Sipgate - Evil

which thankfully is no longer in power

just because some people happen to be german, does not make them nazi's  Slipgate - Sad

in fact quite a lot of my friends are german, some are jewish and they get along fine  Slipgate - Smile~

which goes to show racial hatred, can and should if possible be irradicated  Slipgate - Smirk

as nobody wins

and as for flamming

jezz, what's the point Slipgate - Distraught

can't we all just get along, and blow each other into gibs  Slipgate - Ownage

I mean just look at all the nationalities that are here, does that alone show that the past is long forgotten  Slipgate - Smile~

I mean we are all mates here.    Slipgate - Laugh

right ?  Doom - Huh?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #59 on: 2005-06-13, 23:44 »

Irish bloke (me) agrees

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: