2024-04-26, 20:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake IV (It's out today)  (Read 18908 times)
shambler

Icon of Sin

« Reply #20 on: 2005-10-20, 19:59 »

Well, I think I'll try serous Sam 2 first, (having just finished painkiller, I like lots of monsters) then I might try quake 4, if only for the nailgun. I didn't like doom 3 much.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #21 on: 2005-10-21, 09:26 »

update for the curious: Quake 4 avoids water like the plague. the Edge remake replaces the water to the railgun with an elevated niche/bouncepad. Physics seem a tad off, feels more like ut2k4 than it does q3. And with the engine differences, the Longest Day *cough* feels slightly.. off..

End result, q4's multiplayer would be fun had I never played q3. Singleplayer rocks, but multiplayer comes off as a huge dissapointment.

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
YicklePigeon

Ogre

« Reply #22 on: 2005-10-22, 12:46 »

Hmm.  So much for Quake IV then! I'll just get back to replaying older titles :}  that and waiting for Prey and Alan Wake =]

Regards,

Yickle.
Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #23 on: 2005-10-23, 12:05 »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
« Last Edit: 2005-10-25, 16:34 by Arnie » Logged

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #24 on: 2005-10-23, 18:44 »

Quote from: Arnie
The Intro to the game looks straight out of Half-life:Opposing force, the rag doll effects are from Half-life2, do you think id are running scared of Valve?.
Id call it more of a respectful nod
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #25 on: 2005-10-23, 20:18 »

Well, Rag Doll is Rag Doll, no matter where you go.  It's pretty much going to look the same anywhere.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #26 on: 2005-10-23, 21:31 »

DOH

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #27 on: 2005-10-24, 00:39 »

Note to everyone saying "Id this" and "Id that" concerning Quake IV: Id made the engine. Raven made the game. Most of Q4's "faults," as I'm seeing them, fall into Raven's lap, not Id's.

It's funny that I said, back when I first saw screenshots of Q4, that it looked like a Doom 3 mission pack. I think I nearly had my head ripped off by someone for that. Game comes out... one shotgun? No water? Hm...

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #28 on: 2005-10-24, 09:39 »

I think it resembles more to Q3 than to DooM 3 in terms of weaponry. Let's see now: There's a machinegun, a shotgun (with the same damage points if I'm not mistaken (10hp per bullet)), a GL, a RL, a lightning gun, a railgun, a gauntlet and a nailgun (Q3TA). The only different weapons are the hyperblaster, the dark matter gun & the blaster. Here, take a look:

http://www.upsetchaps.cjb.net/home.html

I think that Raven doesn't have the imagination to create new weapons like Id has, because the only new thing is the Dark Matter Gun!

Kain-Xavier

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #29 on: 2005-10-24, 11:55 »

The nail-gun in TA is much different than any other nail-gun in the Quake series.  It's a rather nifty cross between a shotgun and a rail-gun.  The nail-gun in Q4 is more or less the chain-gun from Q2 albeit with new whiz-bang effects and a highly annoying firing sound. :p

While we're on the subject of the weapons, has anybody experimented with the dark matter gun much?  I didn't experiment with it much in single player, and I haven't touched it at all in multiplayer.  So far it seems just like a regular ball of energy that has a explosion radius with which you get sucked in or take damage I think.

Edit:  I screwed around with the nail gun some more and decided that it's more on par with the TA chain-gun than it is the Q2 chain-gun.
« Last Edit: 2005-10-24, 12:29 by Kain-Xavier » Logged

Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #30 on: 2005-10-24, 17:00 »

Quote from: [KruzadeR
] I think that Raven doesn't have the imagination to create new weapons like Id has, because the only new thing is the Dark Matter Gun!
Raven has created some great weapons in its day.Remember the gauntlets from heretic?.

I never really thought quake IV was going to be anything amazing but i do think ill enjoy playing it. The fact that its "too doomish" dosent bother me in the least. I always liked doom more anyway.
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #31 on: 2005-10-24, 19:31 »

I...hum...never played Heretic/Hexen. And I meant nowadays, not in the old days. The truth is that the weapons are too much alike the weapons in Q3A. And I haven't said I don't like it's ambience. In fact, I can't talk about anything else of the game, since I haven't played Q4...YET. As soon as it arrives here, I'm going to run into the mall and buy the game.

Daedalus

CyberDemon

« Reply #32 on: 2005-10-25, 02:39 »

I'm currently more excited about ET:Quake Wars than I am about Quake IV

However, i'll still go out tomorrow and buy Q4. Probably because im a diehard quake fan and i want to be able to say "Ive played it"
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #33 on: 2005-10-25, 03:20 »

Quote from: Woodsman
Raven has created some great weapons in its day.Remember the gauntlets from heretic?.
You know the funny thing about Heretic is most of the weapons were pretty much, function-wise, Doom's weapons just given new looks.  Example:

Staff = fist
Gauntlets = chainsaw
Wand = pistol
Crossbow was a dramatic change
Dragon's Claw = chaingun
Hellstaff = plasmagun
Phoenix Rod = rocket launcher with some player kickback
Firemace = pretty new

What they did so well was converting everything to feel completely different, even if they functioned similar.  When I looked at the Q4 multiplayer weapon lineup, I thought, gee, this is Quake 3 Arena all over again.  Not having played Q4, I can't make any judgements on its gameplay, but I can say this much for Raven.  Normally what they would do is take someone else's engine and do something entirely their own with it.  This time around they were making "someone else's sequel".  When you're messing with a franchise with as much weight behind it as the name "Quake" that's a tall order to fill.  I think this may have been a situation where they didn't want to "mess with the formula" from Quake 3, but at the same time wanted to add their own creative element, but also were having to deal with the Q2 storyline - and do it using Doom 3's engine.  It sounds like a painful endeavor just thinking about it.  Raven has always put out good games, I just think they do their best when they're completely free to do their own thing.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Woodsman
Icon of Booze

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

« Reply #34 on: 2005-10-25, 08:35 »

Well i just played Quake 4. It seems like a low rent version of doom 3 to me. it dosent have near the production values of doom 3 and it runs like crap. some of the textures look like they were made in MS Paint. Other than those few gripes it seems like a pretty solid title just not one ill end up playing for that long.
Angst
Rabid Doomer

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #35 on: 2005-10-26, 19:47 »

You know, reading half the comments in this thread, I have to wonder if we're playing the same Quake IV. Half of the weapon lineups people are talking about are out of multiplayer. Slipgate - Tongue

First thing's first: Quake IV singleplayer, and Quake IV multiplayer are effectively separate games.

The gauntlet never appears in single-player. And the weapons in multiplayer are modified to be almost identical to their Quake III equivalents.

As for performance, Quake IV runs far better on my system than doom3 did; and the only textures I can complain about are the strogg grunts; they look fugly as sin..

Furthermore, I'd have to say that having more than 3 distinct enemies in a game is a refreshing change of pace...
« Last Edit: 2005-10-26, 19:49 by Angst » Logged

"Who says a chainsaw isn't a ranged weapon?"
Lordbane2110

Chton

« Reply #36 on: 2005-10-26, 23:44 »

I just played quake 4 and WOW

i love it  Slipgate - Smile~

first the plus points

1. Deathmatch is amazing, i can't get enough of it it takes the best weapons from quake 1 2 and 3 and throws them together

2. the machinegun / sniper rifle, a stroke of genius now i don't have to switch to the railgun all the time

3. the new edge, a class map, if a little smaller than i remember

4. the stroggification, is the singluar sickist part of the whole game so far  Thumbs up!

5. the weapons are kinda cool

6. Deathmatch is sick quick, and i mean sick quick in places, i makes me want to puke, NICE !  Thumbs up!

7. Nailgun is like quake 1's Perforator, EXCELLENT (does air guitar rift)

8. Strogg are as scary as hell on maximum detail, plus the metal shuffling is a nice point (ooohh Creepy)

9. Tanks (say no more)

10. The lightning Gun, feels more like the shaft, (which is a good thing)

and now the bad points

1. the guns are as ugly as sin

2. black matter gun is pants

3. strogg are to easy to kill, with the blaster (Shouldn't this be the hardest weapon to kill with?)

4. Single player story is too predictable, raven need to go back to the story boards

5. the weapons have an UT feel (if i wanted to play UT i would)

6. Strider Style walkers arn't scary (why there massive, shouldn't they scare the S*** out of you like the ones out of halflife 2 ?)

7. Kane is a silly name for a hero

8. no female models in deathmatch (a traversy)

9. No BFG  Sipgate - Evil  Sipgate - Evil  Sipgate - Evil  Sipgate - Evil  It's quake where the heck is the BFG

10. Team Arena style CTF (Arrrggggghhhhhh why, why damn you)

11. Shotgun feels like doom 3 (I didn't like the doom 3 shotty, it felt to weak)

12. the railgun, they took the most pwnage gun in history (i.e the quake 2 version) and made it as nerfed as possible, (even the machinegun / Sniper is Stronger)

13. NO BOTS, how the heck is a guy to pratice at work?

however Quake 4 is a damn fine game and dispite all it's faults, which are numerous the gameplay is quake, the music is sufficently gritty and the enemies numerous

if i had to choose between this and half life 2, and lets face it half life 2 was excellent, but let down by it's deathmatch mode (which was the biggest pile of F***ing S*** the world has ever known) then i'll choose quake 4

for 2 reasons

1. Deathmatch nearly made me hurl, EXCELLENT

2. I showed the stroggification process to my 2 year old nephew, who usually wants to come into my room, does he want to anymore ?, NOPE.  therefore a big plus

so i give quake 4 a 4 out of 5

while it's story will never match Half Life 2, it's deathmatch is the best quake expericence yet

roll on quake 5
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #37 on: 2005-10-27, 07:52 »

I just installed F.E.A.R., and that seems to do a whole lot more with the engine than Q4. It's not quite good looking yet, but at least they seem to have tried. Remember how I always bitched at D3 and HL2, and how people should get their shit together and combine the lighting and the looks? Well, that's what they got close to doing. The environment looks less..  100%-metallic.. and shadows can be something other than pure-black too. It's a bit heavy on the hardware, but take their concept and give it the attention to detail HL2 showed - and you pretty much get what I 've been hoping for, for a while now.

Maybe Q4's MP is fun (I already know a 'pro' player who's disabled every graphical setting to increase performance until it looks like Q1, although this time that doesn't hurt much), but I don't have the time for that. Besides, I have Gen to worry about. ;]
If a game doesn't manage to be enjoyable in SP (if it pretends to be), it's going to be on my black-list for a while. I prefer looking at beautiful skin-less renders of the Q4 models, at least those shots do them justice.

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
ReBoOt
Mean ol Swede

Team Member
Elite

« Reply #38 on: 2005-10-27, 22:01 »

After playing quake 4 id say i like this game sure there are elements which i do think could be improved and q4 suffers from the d3 black shadows, and overly the game is a bit dark hell sometimes all that amazing geometry can't be seen because it's pitch black!

the scary factor aint especially high but then again quake is about action.

However the stroggification part was one of the most sick things i've ever seen in a game before!!

i havent tested multiplayer yet tho because of the lack of time (damn this work is slowly killing me)

Anyways quake 4 is worth the moneys, it's almost worth upgrading your puter for playing this game. (i should upgrade mine anyways Slipgate - Wink )
Kajet

Vadrigar

I have no clue what to put here...

« Reply #39 on: 2005-10-28, 00:28 »

However the stroggification part was one of the most sick things i've ever seen in a game before!!

That's the second time I've heard that and I didn't think that part was all that bad (could be I need to up the graphics some though)

I haven't finished the game yet but so far I think the special dvd ver. is worth it partly cause i don't have to hunt down quake 2 now and i can say i got a doom 3 mod with it Slipgate - Smirk

I haven't played online yet but just loading multiplayer i feel like...  someone ripped Quake 3 apart and put in the dom3 engine, everything that you expect in q3 is in q4 multi, ok so the weapons are different (kinda) but everything else is the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: