2024-04-18, 21:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: A Fun Project: pt. II (The Lightest of Guards?)  (Read 49188 times)
Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #40 on: 2006-08-22, 21:26 »

Looks good, Tab. Can't wait to see the skins to go along with it. Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2006-08-22, 21:27 by ~SpAwN~ » Logged

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #41 on: 2006-08-22, 23:17 »

Either you two harass me, or you are 1) ignorant of the way Q3 weapons are positioned

I'm not that ignorant, I'm just pointing out something that has always irritated me. I had no intentions of harassing you physically or verbally, specially the physical thing.

There once was a Strogg guard who disobeyed orders from his (tank) commanders. He rebelled and ended up doing three things: a) fabricating a new right hand, releasing him from a low status on the job market, b) training and working out till he got beefier and able to jump and c) torturing prisoners of war after the Earth attack on Stroggos. The Vadrigar got wind of the latter and rewarded this guard's efforts with a place in the arena. Voila.

After the assassination of the Makron, the Strogg realized they underestimated the human capability to adapt. They realized they had relied too much on mechanical discipline and raw firepower, their utter technological dominance which had been their primary strength was now their primary liability. As a result, they formulated a new and simple plan - give their troops more brains to go with their brawn. This guard was the first of a new breed of soldier, a prototype that was superior to the original prosthetic-weapon guards. Smarter, faster, tougher, and able to adapt and use the enemy's weapons against them. Well, all first attempts tend to be flawed, and by their loosening of their reigns on the mind he regained too much self-awareness. His conscious will clashed with his Strogg programming, turning him psychotic as a result, and he began slaughtering anyone and anything he could find. This made him perfect combat material for the Arenas Eternal, and so prior to being evaporated by a supertank's rocket barrage, was claimed by the Vadrigar for eternal combat. Eventually the Strogg overcame these flaws and developed the best balance of combat smarts and technological control over their ranks just in time to give their forces an edge against the invading Marine landing. These are the new Strogg seen in Quake 4.

How about this: A Strogg named Archie was fed-up with the life of a prison sentinel, so he ventured beyond the terrains of his prison. In his journey, he met a lovely Strogg named Makron. Together, they built the greatest mecha unit ever since Evangelion was created. But, alas, Makron betrayed Archie, and during one night, Makron stole the mecha. Archie's heart was broken, so he began an unstoppable rampage throughout the planet. In fact, he was the author of the "Great Strogg Massacre of 69"! Meanwhile, the Vardrigar were watching. They thought "Hey, why not?", and so they putted him in the Arenas.

THE. END.
« Last Edit: 2006-08-22, 23:18 by [KruzadeR] » Logged

Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #42 on: 2006-08-23, 09:05 »

Slipgate - Off Topic Put THAT in the next edition of Circles.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #43 on: 2006-08-23, 14:36 »

Well, since I am being more elaborate in and on the process of making this, I'll show you these in advance:
Death number two
Death number three

Don't mind the framerate, I simply didn't feel like fixing that for such quick previews. Besides, I still have to tweak the animation.cfg file for this model, so the speed of the motion isn't determined yet.

The first of those I had done before, but the second is an ode to Quake 2 (and, in a sense, to Phoenix).. :]
« Last Edit: 2006-08-23, 14:37 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #44 on: 2006-08-23, 19:06 »

Nice!! Just a shame the Q3 code doesn't allow him to get that few sneaky extra shots out before he croaks Slipgate - Laugh

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #45 on: 2006-08-23, 20:15 »

All the more reason for the player to stay alive then.

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #46 on: 2006-08-23, 23:06 »

Slipgate - Off Topic Well, were we to adapt this guy (or others) to Resurgence, maybe we can code it so that when it is supposed to die and not gib, it doesn't die, but rather reaches one health and fires several shots while the death animation is freezing him in place, THEN kill him. Of course, that might be a bit complex, and Resurgence is quite a ways off anyway...
Lopson

Elite

Still Going In Circles

« Reply #47 on: 2006-08-24, 09:08 »

OMG! Resurgence! I had completely forgotten about that. But let's focus for now on the game at hand: Generations Arena.

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #48 on: 2006-08-24, 14:28 »

Looking awesome, Tab! Can't wait to see this guy running around in the arenas for real, even if it'd have to be with some really crappy settings right now (stupid laptop). Slipgate - Thumbs up!

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #49 on: 2006-08-25, 03:18 »

Thanks Mak - no worries, we have him running around already.. now he just needs skins..

And speaking of which; I've begun skinning, too:

As always, don't bother to point out that detail is lacking, and the like. These will be Work in Progress previews, until I mention otherwise. ;]

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #50 on: 2006-08-26, 14:29 »

Starting to recognize the guy?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #51 on: 2006-08-26, 17:31 »

Enjoying myself muchly, so I can't resist posting those WIP shots.

Merely fleshing out the basic anatomy of the arm here, so don't mind the colour too much.

Edit:
Some small progress. Backpack design layed out. I'm preparing the arm for partial damage/cybernetics stuff.

« Last Edit: 2006-08-27, 03:04 by Tabun » Logged

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #52 on: 2006-08-27, 03:21 »

Wow, I might wind up wanting to run around as one of these guys, instead of a red-and-black Grunt. Slipgate - Wink

Keep it up!

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #53 on: 2006-08-27, 04:49 »

Looking great so far!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #54 on: 2006-08-28, 01:04 »

Thanks! :]

I intend to make more work of this one than on the Q-forcer, so expect enough skins to make it a character deserving to be pulverizing your oppenents as.

Some more work being done, another WIP screenie:

Btw, for those making skins (probably only Angst Slipgate - Wink, I know realistic arm anatomy can be difficult, so if you would prefer using mine, throw me a line and I'll get you the bitmap data for those.
« Last Edit: 2006-08-28, 01:06 by Tabun » Logged

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #55 on: 2006-08-28, 03:49 »

Shaping up really well, Tab! Thumbs up! I can sort out botfiles again if needs be, but if so, he'll be considerably tougher than he was in Q2 Slipgate - Wink

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #56 on: 2006-08-28, 06:07 »

Scal, I had to write a new bot file for the Qforcer.  Your bot was rather stripped down and had several leftover gibs from Keel, and a few glaring errors like not knowing how to use the single shotgun.  It also had no bot chat.  If you're planning on submitting content for use I'd ask that you will make a more dedicated attempt this time around.

Visimar

Archvile

« Reply #57 on: 2006-08-28, 07:33 »

Lookin' mighty fine so far Tab! =)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #58 on: 2006-08-28, 13:35 »

Keel? Strange - I didn't actually use Keel as a base  Doom - Huh?

That said, my hands are up. It was only a VQ3 botfile. I wasn't actually aware of the revised "xxx_w.c" files in the Gen .pk3 at the time, so will try harder. I'm still learning Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2006-08-28, 13:51 by scalliano » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #59 on: 2006-08-28, 14:06 »

There were definitely references to Keel in there.  If you didn't use Keel as a base, perhaps whatever you based it on wasn't a "clean" botfile and hence the bugs were pre-existing.  Anyway, if you have trouble with the bot chat, or just don't feel creative in that department, or you just have a question let me know and I'll do what I can to assist.  We're all still learning.  That never ends.  Slipgate - Smile
« Last Edit: 2006-08-28, 14:07 by Phoenix » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: