2024-04-24, 17:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: A Fun Project: pt. II (The Lightest of Guards?)  (Read 49405 times)
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #60 on: 2006-08-28, 14:18 »

Quote from: Phoenix
There were definitely references to Keel in there.  If you didn't use Keel as a base, perhaps whatever you based it on wasn't a "clean" botfile and hence the bugs were pre-existing.  Anyway, if you have trouble with the bot chat, or just don't feel creative in that department, or you just have a question let me know and I'll do what I can to assist.  We're all still learning.  That never ends.  Slipgate - Smile
That's probably true regarding the Keel stuff. Also, the empty chat file was simply a creative block on my part. I've done chatfiles before, but at the time I couldn't think of anything he might say except "FREEZE!" Slipgate - Laugh Still, I have a better idea now of how to get the weapon skills sorted out properly so thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I guarantee you will notice the difference Slipgate - Wink

PSN ID: scalliano

The Arena knows no gender, colour or creed, only skill.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #61 on: 2006-08-28, 19:17 »

As for bots, we'll see. I will muchly rely upon Phoenix for making sure they're correct, as he did a bang up job on the Q-Forcer, but anyone is free to go give it a try. :]

Nearly.. nearly.. done:

I'll need to give it a rest and look upon it afresh to make the last tweaks. After that, I can start on the other two basic versions of it!

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Assamite

Hans Grosse

« Reply #62 on: 2006-08-28, 19:58 »

"THERE!"
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #63 on: 2006-08-28, 20:28 »

Stuning efect  :!:
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #64 on: 2006-08-28, 21:02 »

Looks the part now!

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #65 on: 2006-08-28, 21:46 »

I pictured the Enforcer saying something like 'Ohhhhhhhh yea.. that feels good!' after killing someone. After all, he gets a shot of.. something after killing.. but, regardless.. is still fun. Slipgate - Smile

As for the lowly Q2 guard.. he definately looks better overall than Grunt, Bitterman, Major, or TankJr.. so I'll probably switch and use it (when I actually play once in a blue moon anyway). Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
BiGRoB85

Gladiator

« Reply #66 on: 2006-08-29, 02:39 »

Quote from: ~SpAwN~
I pictured the Enforcer saying something like 'Ohhhhhhhh yea.. that feels good!' after killing someone. After all, he gets a shot of.. something after killing.. but, regardless.. is still fun. Slipgate - Smile
A "paroxysm of ecstasy" (quoted directly from the Quake manual).

Anyway, this new model looks like a great update to the old Q2 Light Guard!  Keep up the good work, Tab!

-BigRob85

(Not so) Proudly turning dual gats into BFGs since 2004!
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #67 on: 2006-08-29, 20:53 »

Nor does he remain alone:

His buddy the machinegun 'ss' (as indicated by Q2-filenames Slipgate - Wink)

Two down, one to go.
Well, almost, anyway. I'm done tweaking the default skin, but this one will take some adjusting before I'm happy. After that, I can modify my way into getting a decent shotgun guard skin :]

Makou

Team Member
Shub-Niggurath

« Reply #68 on: 2006-08-29, 21:43 »

Allow me to be the first to say "omfg awesome" once again, Tab. This is exciting.

And I kind of wonder which of these the red/blue skin will be based on, or if that'll be custom... Slipgate - Wink

If you see a "Rona Altana" out there on the internet somewhere, that's probably me
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #69 on: 2006-08-29, 21:45 »

Looking good!  I imagine the red and blue skins will be something unique since they have to be teamplay, but will almost certainly have some nods to at least one of the originals.  Then again, Tab's in charge so who knows what he's scheming on those?
« Last Edit: 2006-08-29, 21:46 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #70 on: 2006-08-29, 21:52 »

I rather intend to use much of the 'base' skin for those. I won't start from scratch, in any case. But I will try to make them look as good as I can without losing the effect of being instantaneously sure whether it's the blue or red version ;]

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #71 on: 2006-08-30, 00:20 »

Impressive! Can't wait to see the last skin!

(BTW Started working on botfiles already. Might be jumping the gun a bit, but I want to get it RIGHT this time. Still, I've done the chat, anyway.)

KUGW as always, Tab!

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #72 on: 2006-08-30, 02:56 »

Good going!
My wishes for ideal bot behaviour:

- I'd like three versions, who, in chat, each have a tendency to refer to the other two, bestowing insults upon them (as well as the player).

- I'd like the default skin (blaster guard) to prefer using the hyperblaster, the shotgun guard the shotguns and the machinegun ss bot to prefer using the chain- and machinegun, for obvious reasons.

- I'd like the machinegun ss bot to be comparatively 'intelligent', and for it to show in his chat. By comparison, the shotgun guard I would like to be the most dull.

That said, I'm happily awaiting what you come up with :]

Here's the last of the three basic skins:

(edit: shows the wrong visor, but never mind that Slipgate - Wink)
« Last Edit: 2006-08-30, 02:58 by Tabun » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #73 on: 2006-08-30, 04:41 »

And, while I am depriving myself of well-earned sleep anyway, here's something else I whipped up. The model now has a full set of skins!

I might try for one other skin, something stroggy and yet different from the above, but for now I can't think of anything specific.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #74 on: 2006-08-30, 17:07 »

Like what I see!

Pointers on bots duly noted. Slipgate - Wink So far I've got most of the light guard's chat down, mainly inspired by Tankjr's chat, given that he's a bit dim, so expect a few humourous  "system errors" popping up in-game. As for the rest, I'll do those tonight.
« Last Edit: 2006-08-30, 17:13 by scalliano » Logged

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #75 on: 2006-08-30, 18:54 »

"Shotgunny BLAST!!!" (ShotGun)

"Calm yourself, fool! We must wait for the proper and most opportune moment to launch our assault" (MachineGun)

"Yes, master" [sarcasm] (Blaster)

"Don't test my patience" (MG)

"No blast?" (SG)

"No! No blast!" (MG)

"Hey, Shotgun, blast Machinegun" (Blaster)

"Shotgunny BLAST!!!" (SG)

*fires a few rounds of buckshot into the machinegun guard*

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #76 on: 2006-08-30, 20:23 »

Quote from: Tabun
I might try for one other skin, something stroggy and yet different from the above, but for now I can't think of anything specific.
Hey, Tab, IF you are doing one last skin, might I suggest the Hyperblaster or Ripper Guard from Reckoning? Slipgate - Shifty

EDIT: Still working on the bots - weapon weights and characteristics in place (minus tweaking), still working on the chat.
« Last Edit: 2006-08-30, 20:26 by scalliano » Logged

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #77 on: 2006-08-31, 23:15 »

I've added a green version (you never know when that will come in handy).

I've taken a long, hard look at the Xatrix missionpack skins for the guard, and conclude that I won't 'remake' those for this model. They look pretty boring and very dark. They have emblems that don't strike me as very stroggish, and most details are hard to impossible to reproduce on my model. Finally, the new skins don't look very Stroggy to me, mainly because they're not like id's skins. :]

Maybe I'll try something else, I do have some ideas, although I don't much feel like spending a whole lot of time redoing a skin from scratch..We'll see.

scalliano

Elite

Yup, that's me

« Reply #78 on: 2006-08-31, 23:33 »

Well, it was just a thought anyway. No biggy. Slipgate - Smile

Bots are done, and I've been testing then out using various Grunt skins to see how they shape up. Can't find any technical issues myself (Pho will be the judge of that Slipgate - Wink ) except that the Light Guard seems to own the other two, despite my efforts to make it the wimpiest of the three.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #79 on: 2006-09-01, 02:28 »

Cool. Can't wait to see those, and try them out!

For what it's worth, here's a promo screenie.
And I've added some stuff to my website as well.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: