2024-03-28, 19:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom II Entryway map (and Strogg map: City Palace (W.I.P.))  (Read 84255 times)
Kingu

Archvile

« Reply #140 on: 2009-09-05, 23:44 »

Well looks like I was not the only one to feel about health at blue room, and regen time. Slipgate - Tongue
Too bad I cant map to see the other idea feels like.
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #141 on: 2009-09-06, 02:20 »

Hehe, that's the advantage of being the actual mapper - you get the last word! You need to work pretty hard for it, but it pays off in the end.. ;]

Pre-final release:
tabd2map01_alpha6

Tabun ?Morituri Nolumus Mori?
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #142 on: 2009-09-06, 04:21 »

I found two minor glitches on the map doing a bug check sweep:

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/phoenix/editing/shot0401.jpg
This shows z-fighting along those three sections.  It occurs on the sections facing the camera and along the top edge.  I was only able to find this using r_fullbright 1.

http://www.wireheadstudios.org/phoenix/editing/shot0402.jpg
The wall textures here are misaligned in the corners.

The only question I have item-wise is regarding the change of the rocket box at the initial spawn area to a grenade box.  It does remove the only rocket ammo on the level, and Slipgate still gets rockets while Strogg and Earth do not.  That gives a rocket count for 5 for Earth and Strogg, 6 for Doom, and 10 for Slipgate and Arena when spawning there.  I think I prefer the rocket box since there's a grenade box in the blue room, but I can live with either one.

The 25 point healths in the Blue room work much better than the 5 pointers and shards.

Lighting looks good through the darker rooms, and I love the shotgun placement outside.  It works very well.

Timing on the powerup spawn feels perfect.

I did notice the door up on the lift never closes now.  I didn't know if that was intentional or not.

Edit:  I did some playtesting in normal Q3 as well as Gen.  In normal Q3, the map feels very good in the balanced version.  I even had two opportunities to use the big window.  First was I threw the switch, and Sarge managed to run outside and grab my stuff, so I had a "dammit!" moment.  I stood up on the window ledge and shot him with the plasma gun.  I didn't do enough damage to drop him and I got nailed by someone in the hall, but I was able to hit him with about 8 plasma rounds.  The second time it was Ranger who grabbed my stuff.  I ran outside and hit him twice with the gauntlet while I had about 30 health, and he had a rocket launcher.  He went in through the door and I narrowly missed a rocket to the face.  I lobbed 3 grenades up through the window and one found it's mark.  Ranger gibbed rather nicely. 

Doom - Thumbs Up!
« Last Edit: 2009-09-06, 04:57 by Phoenix » Logged

I fly into the night, on wings of fire burning bright...
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #143 on: 2009-09-06, 15:30 »

Good, good!  Doomed

Glitches fixed.

Door near lift is intentionally open for a long time. It's the most annoying door in the map, and I guess camping near the button should be discouraged.

Final version packed up and available here:
tabd2map01 final

I've sent it off to LvL aswell. That should help it (and Generations..) get some more publicity. :]

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #144 on: 2009-09-07, 03:29 »

Map has been added to Phoenix's Generations Server and is now part of the standard rotation.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #145 on: 2009-09-24, 14:41 »

Say, if anyone feels like giving a good (but not biased!) review of my entryway remake, head on over the LvL map queue and review it (and perhaps some other maps). Looks like few people still review maps there..

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #146 on: 2009-09-24, 16:31 »

Unfortunately I can't review it myself as that would certainly be considered biased (and rightly so), so if anyone who is not a WHS team member wants to take a stab at it?

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #147 on: 2009-09-24, 16:44 »

I might take a stab at reviewing other maps (higher) in that list, myself. That'll help too. :]
I'm just not so good at reviewing for gameplay, I guess.

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #148 on: 2009-09-30, 00:51 »

Doom - Exclamation Tab, I've run across some crash problems on your map.  It involves my test server, so I'll send the details via PM.

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #149 on: 2009-10-20, 01:46 »

Haven't worked out the reason why the pure version crashes yet, but Pho's debugging has been a great help -- I feel we can tackle that bug soon.

Actually posted because tabd2map01 is now released on LvLworld:

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #150 on: 2009-10-22, 17:33 »

I'm glad Tig notes the differences in released versions, and I'd like to smack fKd for his review.  F'in Q3 purist...

Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #151 on: 2009-10-22, 18:14 »

Hehe. He says he was a "fan" of the DII map, and does not think it is done justice by me. I beg to differ. I don't care if some people don't like it, but at least do your homework before submitting a negative review..

Quoting fKd on Lvlworld in the comments:
re reading my review i think i was too harsh... the geo is easy 9 - 9.5.

im gonna give it a 9... just coz i love doom2 so much Slipgate - Laugh

A 9 is the average between 9 for geometry and 4 for gameplay? Sounds like that should be a 6.5. Anyway, it seems he's changed his mind on my previous map, after seeing my work on an upcoming one. Odd. Maybe just was prejudiced and seeing more of my stuff fixed that?

Review was not as bad as it looked, anyway. ;]
« Last Edit: 2009-10-22, 18:19 by Tabun » Logged

Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #152 on: 2009-10-22, 21:58 »

Well... remember what I said about being stuck in a rut?  I don't know fKd's game experience, but I think sometimes the same patterns get used for movement flow and there tends to be a bit of a kneejerk reaction when something different from the norm is introduced.  That could have been a case of initial shock value and then having the map grow on him.

Nobody got my "purist" joke?
  Slipgate - Surprised

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #153 on: 2009-10-28, 21:47 »

Over on this side of things, during a recent Gen play session with bots.. I decided to load up Entryway for some fast fragging action. I went outside, and to my surprise I saw this!

After taking the screenie, I quit and loaded the map in vanilla Q3 and saw them there as well. Is there anything I could have possibly changed that would make them show up? They didn't show up for me before, so I can only assume that I've changed something somewhere.. and other than updating my video drivers since running the map before, I can't think of anything.

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #154 on: 2009-10-28, 21:50 »

It's a "clamping" error (or non-clamping, not too familiar with the terminology), meaning that the sides of the skybox "bleed" blackness. Nothing can be done on the mapping side of things to fix this, it's a driver issue. Seems to be unfixable with ATI cards (though ioQuake has solved it engine-side), but a simple NVidia driver setting can fix it. I wouldn't know how it can change for you without explicitly adjusting settings, drivers or even videocards...

Thomas Mink

Beta Tester
Icon of Sin

HeLLSpAwN

« Reply #155 on: 2009-10-29, 07:52 »

Ahhh, gotcha. Guess updating my NVidia drivers changed that setting. Thanks. Slipgate - Smile

"Everybody's got a price" - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase
Phoenix
Bird of Fire

Team Member
Elite (7.5k+)

« Reply #156 on: 2009-10-29, 16:12 »

The setting is "Conformant Texture Clamp".  Set it to "off" and the lines vanish.

One of those things I'll get around to fixing in Gen at some point is the ioquake3 fix for this.  Can't do much for vanilla Q3 and ATI cards.

Arnie

Shambler

« Reply #157 on: 2009-10-31, 10:28 »

How`s it going with the Strogg map Tab, any progress, or is it shelved ?.

Will everybody stop getting shot.......
Tabun
Pixel Procrastinator

Team Member
Elite (3k+)

« Reply #158 on: 2009-10-31, 10:45 »

That's shelved for now, and indefinately. I don't have the time to move on to the next mapping project yet, and even if I did, I'd prefer to do something much better than that (I'd probably need to redo all of the textures, and all of the brushwork anyway...).

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: